BC Heroics

New Player Help and Guides
So I was asking some people about BC heroics and their main response was basically "Nobody does BC heroics", "there's no point", etc...Of course these people were level 85 and doing cata heroics....I'm not 85 yet, and I've never done any heroics, and I'm not high enough to do Wrath or Cata Heroics....So why wouldn't I want to do BC heroics???

So what is the story with BC heroics? I know that for some of the heroics you need to have the correct "item level" (still not 100% clear on how that works).....I've read that for BC heroics everyone needs to have a key, which you get based on your rep with a faction....

Is there any other requirements for BC heroics other than the key? Is there an item level req? Level req? And is there any truth to the comments I quoted above, and why?
To do BC heroics, all you need is the heroic key from the dungeon's respective faction. To get the key, you need to be Honored or better. It's an actual key that goes in your keyring so you can enter the portal (it's not to unlock a gate or anything) or queue for the dungeon.

Auchindoun, Terokkar Forest = Lower City
-Auchenai Crypts
-Sethekk Halls
-Shadow Lab
-Mana Tombs

Hellfire Citadel, Hellfire Peninsula = Honor Hold/Thrallmar (based on your faction)
-Hellfire Ramparts
-Blood Furnace
-Shattered Halls

Tempest Keep, Netherstorm = Sha'tar
-Mechanar
-Botanica
-Arcatraz

Coilfang Reservoir, Zangarmarsh = Cenarion Expedition
-Slave Pens
-Underbog
-Steamvault
You need to be level 70, and you need at least one person in your party to have the key to let your group in.

At least, that's all the requirement there is for entering it yourself. Using LFD, I don't know, because LFD was added long after BC heroics stopped being relevant.

The reason no one does BC heroics is because the gear within is of inferior quality to the green level 70 items you can get from the auction house or from early Northrend quests. Even BC raid gear is replaceable by WotLK greens, just as WotLK epics are replaced by Cata greens, and BC greens replaced Vanilla epics.

For example, here's the best two-handed sword available from a BC heroic: Quantum Blade.
Now here's a green two-handed sword from a level 68 quest in Wrath: Featherweight Claymore.

In other words, BC heroics are far more effort than the potential rewards are worth, since you can get better rewards faster and more easily by playing solo Wrath content.
01/19/2011 4:45 PMPosted by Sharkon
You need to be level 70, and you need at least one person in your party to have the key to let your group in.

All members of the group need to have the appropriate key to enter a BC heroic, unless this was changed in the last six months.
01/19/2011 4:45 PMPosted by Sharkon

Are you sure on this? WoWpedia says every single person in team needs a key.

Also, I read that you also get "badge of justice" points or something, which can be used to buy gear --- is this gear also inferior to green wrath gear?

So I'm guessing then, Wrath heroics are considered somewhat pointless as well for the same reasons?

I was thinking it would be good also to get in some "heroic practice", if nothing else, so that when I do my first Cata heroic, it's not my FIRST heroic ever....and I have some clue as to what to expect.

I guess another obvious question, is a Wrath normal harder than a BC heroic?
You should have clues on what to expect based on grinding the Cataclysm regular dungeons, and having done old world dungeons that have heroic modes for 85.

And no, there's basically no reason to do Wrath heroics either. All my epic Wrath items were replaced within a level or two with Cataclysm greens and blues.
01/19/2011 4:59 PMPosted by Bhaelzebub
Also, I read that you also get "badge of justice" points or something, which can be used to buy gear --- is this gear also inferior to green wrath gear?

Badges of Justice were removed from the game. The gear you can buy (now with Justice Points) is crap compared to Wrath quest gear. All BC gear is crap compared to Wrath gear, and all Wrath gear is crap compared to Cata gear.

There's nothing to practice by doing old heroics. It's a harder version of a 5-man. Other than doing the 5-man on normal mode, you cannot practice for them. As long as you follow basic rules you can learn in any dungeon such as don't break CC, run to the tank if you have aggro, don't stand in crap, etc then you'll be fine.

Running heroic Underbog will do absolutely NOTHING to help you in heroic Stonecore. They're two completely different dungeons with completely different strategies. It's not like math where you study lower math (algebra) to be better-prepared for higher math (calculus).
Ok thanks all for the clarification, I'll just focus on leveling then! ;o)

(wowpedia doesn't tell you this kind of stuff, and I think it should don't you?)
01/19/2011 5:07 PMPosted by Bhaelzebub
(wowpedia doesn't tell you this kind of stuff, and I think it should don't you?)

That's something you're supposed to learn on your own, or rather you're supposed to realize that content separated by expansions is in no way connected. Dungeons themselves teach you certain things, but specific dungeons don't teach you about other specific dungeons. Teamwork, group dynamics, etc are 'universal' in that respect :)
What do you expect to learn from running BC heroics when you're 4 levels higher than them and wearing gear the equivalent of 3 raid tiers above them? Wrath normals are vastly harder than BC heroics with your level and gear, a group of similar players can just blow through BC heroics. Heroics are just a scaled up version of regular dungeons with additional mechanics, they're not something unique.

If you're looking for gear and XP, the next expansion always provides better gear than last expansion's heroics. Gearing up and leveling up in old heroics is a waste of time. If you're looking for experience, Cataclysm normal dungeons are challenging at level in leveling gear, and teach you the basic strategies you'll need to beat cataclysm heroics, while old heroics will either be so challenging your PUG falls apart or so easy you blow right through them. The only reason to run old heroics is if running them is itself your goal.
01/19/2011 5:36 PMPosted by Karamoone
What do you expect to learn from running BC heroics when you're 4 levels higher than them and wearing gear the equivalent of 3 raid tiers above them?

This kind of thing a new player like me doesn't know, and the game does not teach it to you, and places like wowpedia do not tell you it straight either, that's why I need to ask here, because people like you who know this are here, thanks for your assistance.
Your quickest path to really tough content (which will also throw LOTS of challenging dungeons at you along the way) is:

1.) Your present level to 80 --> WotLK randoms and questing.
2.) 80-81 ---> Cata "beginner areas" (Vashj'r and Hyjal ... spelling?)
3.) 82-85 ---> Cata randoms and questing tougher Cata areas, with emphasis on questing.
4.) 85 and gearing for heroics ---> Cata randoms and questing, with emphasis on randoms.
5.) 85 and gearing for raids ---> Cata random heroics. (Questing only for fun and profit.)
Oxx, you neglected crafting professions and reputation as sources of gear. Those tend to range from Cata randoms to heroics in terms of item quality.
01/19/2011 6:25 PMPosted by Oxx
Your quickest path to really tough content (which will also throw LOTS of challenging dungeons at you along the way) is:

1.) Your present level to 80 --> WotLK randoms and questing.
2.) 80-81 ---> Cata "beginner areas" (Vashj'r and Hyjal ... spelling?)
3.) 82-85 ---> Cata randoms and questing tougher Cata areas, with emphasis on questing.
4.) 85 and gearing for heroics ---> Cata randoms and questing, with emphasis on randoms.
5.) 85 and gearing for raids ---> Cata random heroics. (Questing only for fun and profit.)

This. and lets go with lower levels.

58-68-->Burning Crusade (Outlands)
68-80-->WotLK (Northerend)

=)

and oh em gee I love seeing Oxx :P I know it's nice words when you're around :)
01/19/2011 6:28 PMPosted by Icedragon
Oxx, you neglected crafting professions and reputation as sources of gear. Those tend to range from Cata randoms to heroics in terms of item quality.

I really, really would not recommend crafting profs for a first toon until already geared and in heroics.

I could say that equipping a tabard is extra detail that goes with what I already said. But the truth is that I forgot to mention it:

To the OP --> You should be wearing a tabard at all times (do as I say, not as I did). When you get to Cata you need to figure out which factions have the goodies (e.g. level 364 gear) that will benefit you most, and wear that faction's tabard. This will accelerate your rep gain, and unlock that gear sooner. For instance, the Wildhammer Quartermaster has some CHEAP and AWESOME tanking gear that I can only buy when I am revered by them. So I am wearing the Wildhammer tabard. That way the randoms I do give me Wildhammer rep. If I had done that as soon as I could get to Twilight Highlands, I would have that gear now and be in heroics. But because I did not equip it until after dinging 85, I am about 10000 rep away (about 25 dailies, minus rep gained in randoms).
01/19/2011 7:53 PMPosted by Oxx
I really, really would not recommend crafting profs for a first toon until already geared and in heroics.

Where did I say they had to level their own profession to be able to get the gear? Ask a friend, gather materials and pay a crafter to do it, get it off the auction house for cheap, etc.
...Where did I say they had to level their own profession to be able to get the gear? Ask a friend, gather materials and pay a crafter to do it, get it off the auction house for cheap, etc.

Ah. I misinterpreted what you said.