Ask Creative Development - Round II

Story Forum
Prev 1 6 7 8 86 Next
01/25/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Welcome

The Knights of the Silver Hand were dissolved by Arthas. The ones that remained formed the Scarlet Crusade, unknowingly being led by a demon in disguise. The few that were discharged prior to the events such as Tirion Fordring, teamed up with any non-followers of the Scarlet Crusade along with the Argent Dawn to form the Argent Crusade. No independent segment of Silver Hand still exists, they are all a part of another organization.

Tell that to the dwarves. I recently made a dwarf paladin, and the initial paladin quests talk about being in the Silver Hand.

What other organization are you proposing human and dwarf paladin players are part of, if not simply the Silver Hand?

This is correct. From what I can gather, there seemed to be two parts to the Order of the Silver Hand. One part operated out of Stratholme (Lordaeron) the other operated out of Stormwind. Now, if this conclusion is correct, Arthas could of had the power to dissolve the Silver Hand in Lordaeron, but he had no power when it came to Stormwind's arm of the order.

Why would there be two arms? Dwarfs and Human paladins are told that they are apart of the Silver Hand through past and current in-game quest-lines. If the above conclusion is incorrect, and there was no Stormwind arm of the order, why does it still seem to be operating in current lore? WoW takes place way after Arthas apparently dissolved the order, yet, it seems to be still around.
Why lose the worgen loss Gilneas when we beat the undead
01/25/2011 11:52 AMPosted by Frandar
How were the Knights of the Silver Hand were dissolved by Arthas if he was not the king yet? Are people talking about when he killed them all?

If you have participated in the Caverns of Time instance: Culling of Stratholme or seen the event played out in Warcraft III, it shows this. While the paladins couldn't officially be dissolved by the prince, Uther went back to tell the King to get them reinstated (Events in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King) Terenas wanted a chance to talk to his son about this, but the first chance he had he was stabbed through with Frostmourne.
Posted by Welcome

The Knights of the Silver Hand were dissolved by Arthas. The ones that remained formed the Scarlet Crusade, unknowingly being led by a demon in disguise. The few that were discharged prior to the events such as Tirion Fordring, teamed up with any non-followers of the Scarlet Crusade along with the Argent Dawn to form the Argent Crusade. No independent segment of Silver Hand still exists, they are all a part of another organization.

Tell that to the dwarves. I recently made a dwarf paladin, and the initial paladin quests talk about being in the Silver Hand.

What other organization are you proposing human and dwarf paladin players are part of, if not simply the Silver Hand?

This is correct. From what I can gather, there seemed to be two parts to the Order of the Silver Hand. One part operated out of Stratholme (Lordaeron) the other operated out of Stormwind. Now, if this conclusion is correct, Arthas could of had the power to dissolve the Silver Hand in Lordaeron, but he had no power when it came to Stormwind's arm of the order.

Why would there be two arms? Dwarfs and Human paladins are told that they are apart of the Silver Hand through past and current in-game quest-lines. If the above conclusion is incorrect, and there was no Stormwind arm of the order, why does it still seem to be operating in current lore? WoW takes place way after Arthas apparently dissolved the order, yet, it seems to be still around.

I seem to remember something in the Ashbringer comic that talked about only Humans being able to be in the Silver Hand and that they were almost kind of racist towards dwarfs. I think at some point they traveled to Ironforge where the original Ashbringer was developed when they were speaking of this. I think this is a retcon, and I think Blizzard should provide a bit of insight.
01/25/2011 11:57 AMPosted by Windshear
How were the Knights of the Silver Hand were dissolved by Arthas if he was not the king yet? Are people talking about when he killed them all?

If you have participated in the Caverns of Time instance: Culling of Stratholme or seen the event played out in Warcraft III, it shows this. While the paladins couldn't officially be dissolved by the prince, Uther went back to tell the King to get them reinstated (Events in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King) Terenas wanted a chance to talk to his son about this, but the first chance he had he was stabbed through with Frostmourne.

I know about that. Even you say it was not official. I was asking about the extent of his authority on that matter, and why it historically matters.
i want to know more about the sun god of tauren paladins
Before the Sundering, were the three modern major continents (Northrend/Kalimdor/EK) in the same positions they are today and what's now the Great Sea was entirely landmass that sunk, or was it a much smaller size of land that sunk and the force of the Sundering pushed the continents away to their modern locations?
What does Lady Liadrin do with her time? Will we ever see her standing with Lor'Themar and the other leaders of Silvermoon's armed forces in the Sunspire anytime soon?
Highly Rated
Why haven't we gotten our second moon in-game yet?
In the first cdev you mentioned the blood elves get the light from the sunwell, and later say you need faith and willpower.

So which is it? Do you need a source, willpower, or a combination of both.
01/25/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Lifa
Could we get a better explanation of why there must always be a lich king? It never made sense to me.

Yeah. As I understand it, the explanation was "without a lich-king to run things, the Scourge will overrun the world"--but I thought Arthas's goal was for the Scourge to overrun the world. So as it stands, it looks like Arthas was the only thing standing in the way of his own goal--the Scourge would've been able to do whatever he wanted, if only he'd get out of the way!

Which kinda makes him look like a schmuck. Well, an even bigger schmuck.

Mind you, I can come up with handwaves to explain it. (My preferred one: Arthas had finally finished building up the Scourge so much that it could win with or without him--that is, his own preparations for war had finished successfully. So with Arthas, they'd win, and without Arthas, they'd win--the one way to stop them was to have a different Lich-king actively holding the Scourge back.) But from me, that's just fanfic. It'd be nice to hear CDev settle it.

Bonus question: If it's so important that the world never find out what happened to Bolvar, why does the memorial in Dalaran let everyone see just what happened? (Or is that video shown to characters in-world, or only to us players?) More broadly--just what does the typical well-informed Azerothian think happened in Icecrown Citadel? What's the official in-world story?
01/25/2011 12:13 PMPosted by Sorreal
Will we ever see more class oriented neutral factions (i.e. Kirin Tor = mages, Argent Crusade= paladins and priests, Earthen Ring = shamans, Ravenholdt = rogues, Knights of the Ebon Blade = death knights, Cenarion Circle = druids, etc.)? I'm sure many would love to see factions for hunters, warlocks, and warriors.

There is a Warlock faction - The Burning Legion :)
Will you ever bring back trade skill specialties? as it stands all that is left of the original is Goblin or Gnome Engineering oh and alchemy too, i would like to see tailoring specialties come back IE spellfire or whatever it was and its counterparts, also blacksmithing specialties were great too and how about some nice cataclysm world drop patterns please!
Will Gilneas become a proper territory with it's own post 80 storyline?
The Worgen story ends at level 12 with a "to be continued" feel to it and a battleground doesn't really continue the story. Are there any plans to go back to the (fairly large) zone and add quests that continue the Horde/Alliance war on a second font?

Lore wise it would keep both the Worgen/Forsaken and Alliance/Horde storylines fresh (and make some Worgen story available to the faction that actually plays them) and it would be nice to have another level 82 or 83 leveling area to make leveling level 80 alts more varied and less monotonous after the fourth alt.
01/25/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Shoqua
Will we ever see more class oriented neutral factions (i.e. Kirin Tor = mages, Argent Crusade= paladins and priests, Earthen Ring = shamans, Ravenholdt = rogues, Knights of the Ebon Blade = death knights, Cenarion Circle = druids, etc.)? I'm sure many would love to see factions for hunters, warlocks, and warriors.

There is a Warlock faction - The Burning Legion :)

I doubt that we could rep grind the Legion or the Shadow Council.
01/25/2011 11:52 AMPosted by Arrodis

The Order of the Silver Hand had a presence in Stormwind, as mentioned in the novel Beyond the Dark Portal, but where did this idea pop up that it was a separate arm? I was under the impression that there was simply one Order, and that Lord Shadowbreaker was just delegated responsibility of matters pertaining to the Order within the Stormwind area. After the losses of Uther, Gavinrad, and Dathrohan, I would think it safe to imagine that Lord Shadowbreaker assumed ultimate responsibility over his office, since orders were no longer coming down the pipeline.

If I may, I think I know the answer to this. The reasoning behind there must always be a lich king is that, despite being the main source of "life" for the scourge, even without him they will continue to exist, however, without a lich king to direct them, they would be mindless and attack anything and everything insight that is breathing. So, the reason there must be a lich king is to keep the remainder of the scourge in check.

The real question is why are the scourge able to live without the gigantic necrotic powers the lich king gave them to live, and the forsaken for that matter. Unfourtunatly, since Bolvar ascended the throne, one would have to ask him lol.