Shadow PvP: Legion Season 1

Priest
1 2 3 21 Next
Highly Rated
Legion Shadow Priest PVP Guide Coming Soon!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I've been extremely busy and have had a tough time keeping up with this guide. I should have it completed within two weeks (~27SEP16). Besides, I did not want to give advice and opinions based on <iLv825 gear, or without 2/3 of our major artifact traits.

But if anyone is curious, I'm around iLv830 with only [Sphere of Insanity] holding my own. Just have to work a lot harder than the mindless melee train for the kills.

See you soon!

Grand Marshal Merrik
    Hero, Defender, and Soldier of the Alliance
    The Bloodthirsty, Lord of War
    Justicar, Battlemaster, Khan, Gorgeous
    Warbound, Original Rank 13 Field Marshal
    Shadow since Beta, 12+ Years and still going
(Reserved for upcoming Legion PVP Guide)
2/2 Twisted Faith is actually a relatively prominent choice among top PvP shadow priests. Aside from the obvious 1/1 Spi-Hit conversion and the added OOC regen, many consider it superior to improved mind blast. I personally prefer the added 2% shadow damage over imp MB which, in its current comparatively low-damage state, is very mediocre. Come the patch, this may change, but I don't find myself counting down the seconds on my MB cooldown like I did in wrath.

Aside from that, great guide. You might include the desired 4% hit cap in your early itemization as I see a lot of people requesting information on that in the forums at times.
Thanks

Would be good if we could get a comprehensive shadow PvP guide stickied, not sure if they do that for PvP though, and it'd mean you'd have to write alot more on other basic pvp things ( consider it plz :p )

2/2 Twisted Faith is actually a relatively prominent choice among top PvP shadow priests. Aside from the obvious 1/1 Spi-Hit conversion and the added OOC regen, many consider it superior to improved mind blast. I personally prefer the added 2% shadow damage over imp MB which, in its current comparatively low-damage state, is very mediocre. Come the patch, this may change, but I don't find myself counting down the seconds on my MB cooldown like I did in wrath.

Aside from that, great guide. You might include the desired 4% hit cap in your early itemization as I see a lot of people requesting information on that in the forums at times.

Thanks for your input! I can see how a flat 2% would prove useful, I just believed a quick CD MB that can maintain a Heal Debuff would be more useful.

At the very least, I will admit my being jaded as I really only play Rated BGs these days and that may be why I leaned more towards my choice. By having great input like, it will negate my subjectivity.

Awesome post. Voted for sticky and all that stuff.

Some thoughts:
  • From what I can see, most priests do take Twisted Faith.
  • The only time 240 spell penetration is necessary is against mages with a paladin resistance aura. I don't see that very often and feel perfectly fine at 201 (the cloak without the enchant or any gems), but I also only play arena.

Dusknoir, glad to see ya'.

Can you elaborate the choice to take 2/2 [Twisted Faith]? Besides the obvious +2% percent damage, is there itemization difference that allows us to tighten our stats closer, OOC Regen or just a more static way to keep constant DPS compared to having those points elsewhere?

As for the Spell Pen, I wasn't going to go into detail but I figured the extra effort might help explain the "bare minimum" +195 and the common +240 Mage. People could then have a better understanding and make their choice. I mainly do Rated BGs myself.

I will go adjust a few thing right now as well as add Weapons to the list. Thanks for your input!
Very good read, Merrik!
Good read.
Good guide.
01/28/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Merrik
If you do not have +195 Spell Penetration (Arenas) or +240 Spell Penetration (RBGs), your Shadow spells' damage can be reduced dramatically.

That is interesting. Normally I forget Spell Penetration and wonder why my damage is also tanking when trying to kill other players sometimes, aside from the constant "resist, resist, resist"

-----------------------------------------------

High Damage vs. Survival, is there a magic percentage or amount of resilience where you would notice yourself staying alive much longer through one or two people?
For Example: Could after reaching a certain amount of resilience gem int perhaps?
I myself would prefer the Survival route because I hate dying more than anything but just curious.

As for Twisted Fate with the Twin Disciplines thats an excellent 8% increase. Aside from that it gives me more room to play with gems as well instead of always having to worry about reaching a hit cap. Granted I pvp with some PvE gear because my main spec is Holy PvE and there is spirit all over it, I haven't completely grinded out my entire PvP set for shadow yet but it sure does feel nice not worrying about hit at all.
01/29/2011 10:34 PMPosted by Kreecher
If you do not have +195 Spell Penetration (Arenas) or +240 Spell Penetration (RBGs), your Shadow spells' damage can be reduced dramatically.

That is interesting. Normally I forget Spell Penetration and wonder why my damage is also tanking when trying to kill other players sometimes, aside from the constant "resist, resist, resist"

-----------------------------------------------

High Damage vs. Survival, is there a magic percentage or amount of resilience where you would notice yourself staying alive much longer through one or two people?
For Example: Could after reaching a certain amount of resilience gem int perhaps?
I myself would prefer the Survival route because I hate dying more than anything but just curious.

As for Twisted Fate with the Twin Disciplines thats an excellent 8% increase. Aside from that it gives me more room to play with gems as well instead of always having to worry about reaching a hit cap. Granted I pvp with some PvE gear because my main spec is Holy PvE and there is spirit all over it, I haven't completely grinded out my entire PvP set for shadow yet but it sure does feel nice not worrying about hit at all.

To answer your first question, those "Gem Specs" I listed are a foundation for the individual to build off of. How to Gem in Arenas and RBGs can vary as Dusknoir possibly insinuated. But there is a solid truth to it. You can build off of those specs for your own play style too, which is also what they can be used for. I'm personally sitting at 4130 Resilience and loving it.

As for the [Twisted Faith], it can give you more breathing room to itemize, but only slightly. When I began building my set before purchasing any item, I first figured out which items would get me as close as possible to Hit, the SPen. After that, I chose all the Haste items and built around that. Anything Crit or Mastery I was left with was to be reforged.

I don't use [Twisted Faith], I'm mainly a RBG'er. My mentality s staying alive as long as possible (situational speaking) versus being able to burn someone down. And when I do worry about burning someone down, I have the help of my team. But that doesn't make me right or wrong. Come next patch when [Mind Blast] damage is substantially increased, people may shift their points back into [Improved Mind Blast] to cast it more often.
Nice read, but you'll never make me competent at pvp. Also, voted for sticky.
no mention of the possibility of 4/5 mooncloth for the new 4p bonus?
You mention the both a high damage spec and survivability spec. Could you provide a link for each?
Sticky this naow! Very nice and complete guide.
01/31/2011 7:51 PMPosted by Adetitte
You mention the both a high damage spec and survivability spec. Could you provide a link for each?

By "spec" I meant "Gemming spec". I'm not happy with my current spec. I have Apparitions but I'm unsure I like them for RBGs. I'm still sorting through Recount numbers.

I'll get back to you soon though once I research more Arena folks.
+40 resi on chest really worth giving up +20 all stats?
You should also provide a list for when double 2pc bonus is being nerfed. Which is when shadow is going to favor 4pc mooncloth instead of satin. Since we will force to take a piece of spirit gear (spirit-hit) we can remove a piece of hit off-piece :)
02/01/2011 4:44 PMPosted by Extrameaty
+40 resi on chest really worth giving up +20 all stats?

The preferred method is +40 Resilience Chest for flat damage reduction versus 200 HP coupled with 20 Int / 20 Spi.

02/01/2011 5:07 PMPosted by Annasthesia
You should also provide a list for when double 2pc bonus is being nerfed. Which is when shadow is going to favor 4pc mooncloth instead of satin. Since we will force to take a piece of spirit gear (spirit-hit) we can remove a piece of hit off-piece :)

My "Double Dipping" discussion will be reworded for clarity. I tried to say that, lol.

Also I don't want to discuss the 4-Piece Mooncloth Bonus until it goes live as it may confuse new players. Wish they would put that on the Satin pieces.