Phasing ..a huge mistake

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 11 Next
It would be nice if Blizzard looked how phasing impacts areas where there is gathering, there are multiple places where you are better off not doing any quests as despite running a line of quests, like the line leading up to the Alexstraza/Deathwing fight, you are supposed to be clearing out the pass of Twighlight Cult activity, but despite that you are left in a phase where large group of cultists that you had the help of a squad of NPCs to clear, are their camping nodes.
03/11/2011 3:44 PMPosted by Kurgosh
but it seems like this could be pretty bad on PVP realms

Back when I was Horde I would bring along a friend who was in another phase, and we'd camp the ICC GY for hours. Piles and piles of skelly's, t'was a sight to behold.

If anyone got upset and chased us, we'd merely run to the point near the bridge where the phasing ended and vanish out. Good times.
Trolls are getting brave on the forums these days directly trolling a blue post rofl.
03/11/2011 4:03 PMPosted by Nìghtstalker
Trolls are getting brave on the forums these days directly trolling a blue post rofl.

That's what I thought, however it wasn't really trolling. Zar was like "yeah we're working on it but there's a few bugs still, and they're a bit of a bugger to get rid of" or something along those lines.

Then this guy comes along and just starts raging at Z, and I was like "WHA?". I wasn't sure if I should laugh or stare on in disbelief. Some people are a bit strange imo.
I do not see how phasing is affecting guilds negatively.

Yeah you can't be helped in a quest..but so? Its not like the guild will crumble because of that. I mean really, how much time do you spend questing from 80-85 anyways? You can get to 85 in like 2 days.

And not once, in any of the questing I've gone through (Did it twice. On this Shaman and on my mage) an not once did I have to have my guildies come and help me with anything.
My problem with it is something of a unique one. We're a RP-PvP guild, which involves a lot of setting up events to duke it out with Alliance side guilds of a similar theme.

The problem comes in that there's quite a few places where people come into different phases. Sentinel Hill and most of Silverpine would be good examples of this. Makes it a bit harder to pick places to attack sometimes. Very cumbersome to see part of your raid phase out because they didn't do a quest chain or something.
A lot of these posts explain how people don't need help when questing so phasing shouldn't be a problem. However, I read only the first 2 pages, but it seems like no one is looking at this issue from a Wpvp point of view.

When one of our guild members is getting ganked out in a cata zone, it's impossible to help them when we finally get there and can't even see them because they are phased. Phasing is terrible in the wpvp aspect, because the only wpvp that is going to be happening now is in the 80-85 zones, which are phased.

Just putting in my 2 cents, but I'm big on wpvp and helping guildies who are getting ganked, and phasing ruins that.
Mentioned this in another thread, but having a "choose phase" option when party members are in different phases would be nice.

You'd have to block them on stuff like the Worgen or DK starting area, but it would definitely be nice.
03/11/2011 3:22 PMPosted by Crazyterran
PS: Please phase the orcs out of Maestra's Post, it's the only part of the Night Elven story in Ashenvale that isn't phased to reflect your actions in the area. :D

Well, that and the Fire Elemental you have to fly up to and kill. They both need some phasing love.
There's one thing that bothers me about phasing.

Why on earth is the "natural" state of the zone (ie: if all phasing was removed) NOT the state the zone will be in when you finished all the quests?

If it was like that - bam, you're done with all the quests, and you can fly around without seeing things that are going to disappear once you get too close to them. It's really annoying to see something from a distance, then have it vanish once you get too close and the game pulls you into your correct phase.
03/11/2011 3:51 PMPosted by Maximusrex
It would be nice if Blizzard looked how phasing impacts areas where there is gathering, there are multiple places where you are better off not doing any quests as despite running a line of quests, like the line leading up to the Alexstraza/Deathwing fight, you are supposed to be clearing out the pass of Twighlight Cult activity, but despite that you are left in a phase where large group of cultists that you had the help of a squad of NPCs to clear, are their camping nodes.

That particular area near Grim Batol is also a huge problem for archeologists. It really needs to be addressed and dealt with.
01/31/2011 6:27 PMPosted by Ratmilk
Phasing is a great idea. Not sure what quests you would ever need help on, so that shouldnt really be an issue.

I would like to be able to go back on my characters that have completed an area and play with my boyfriend who hasn't gone through it yet. Has nothing to do with being able to do them and everything to do with spending time together.

Phasing has its drawbacks.
It's great that you can level solo, but many people prefer to level in a group. Further from that, you don't generally end up being in the same phase as others even at level 85, depending on zones you chose to level in and how much time you spend running dungeons or farming herbs/ore instead of questing. Never mind helping a low-level guildie with a quest or griefer. The end result is quite messy and contrary to the spirit of a multi-player game.

In my opinion, the solution is for the game to automatically put all members of a group into the phase of the least progressed player. So, if you and four others are in the Twilight Highlands, and one player has not completed the initial quest chain, everyone sees fighting in the starting town.

I think this is preferable to choosing the group leader's phase for two reasons. First, you might risk throwing your quest progression out of whack by doing quests out of order, which would cause headaches for both players and GM's. Second, you could take advantage of phasing in key areas, such as the level 84 vendors in TH.
Phasing is a great tool when you're questing, but it gets annoying when you're done questing. So why not make it so you ONLY run into phasing mechanics if you still have quests left to finish?

All the early parts of each quest-line will be phased - but the final result, the thing you'll have to put up with for the rest of the time, should be just the natural state of the world. You'd never be able to see trade-nodes in "another phase" if it was like that - or glimpses of things that happened "in the past" which you can still see if you get too close - since the overworld would be seamless.

It wouldn't let people "help" guildmates on quests - but, seriously, WHO CARES? If you're questing together just for the fun of it, you're on the same phase. If you're not questing together, but you decided you're going to 'go help them' - let your guildmate work it out on their own, instead. They don't need you to hold their hand through it.

It is an issue we're aware of and having been looking into. We've applied a number of hotfixes to phased gathering nodes since the release of Cataclysm, but this one is still there and is certainly a bugger.

Pshaw. I'm convinced you guys did this on purpose, and sit around the office watching people trying to farm and laugh at them, while surreptitiously drinking whiskey from your hip flasks.

"Hey watch this guy! It's there.....ooops....now it's not! It's there.....now it's not!" ::maniacal laugh::

Hehe. No, no. I've flown down to plenty of mining nodes in my day only to have them disappear, particularly while doing the Therazane dailies. I shake my head and tear up a little.

While we're on this topic, I want to point you all to a recent blog on our front page about Cataclysm quest mechanics. Our quest design team is actively following the comments for feedback about quest design, phasing included. Feel free to let us know your ideas for ways we can improve the questing and storytelling experience without impeding on your gameplay. Or just let us know what works for you and what doesn't. ;)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2428835
Well, been reading through this and thought I'd add my two cents. I do like the phasing, but I do agree it would be nice if there was a way to be in phase with "lower phased" people in the group from time to time. I know people have stated that there are no group quests in phased areas, but there are difficult quests where it would be nice to be able to help out guild members. I had this problem just a few days ago with one of my guild members, and she had trouble with the mechanics of one quest. It was rescuing the bear cubs in Mt Hyjal. She wasn't sure what exactly to do, and if I could have shown her where to target it would have been a bit easier. As a Guild master, I like to be able to show and help out my fellow guildies, but can't with the phasing in some areas.