Dealing with the vocal minority

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 54 Next
I hope you know that you too are a vocal minority.

This part stood out to me. Everyone thinks they are in the majority. And everyone things that anyone that doesn't agree is the minority. When they start to gather steam, and it's beginning to be hard to ignore that more people than you thought feel differently, then they become the 'vocal' minority. After all, it's not possible that YOU are the minority, right? It MUST be that the 3 people that aren't on board with you are posting on alts and spamming the boards...right?

the people who are acctually complaining about heroics being hard are the minority, it is litterally almost impossible to find someone, on my realm at least, who doesnt like the challenge that cata brings, except people who are just completely narrow minded and want everything to go their way, worse players have normal dungeons, questing professions, lore, all that stuff, people who want a challenge, only have raids...heroics no longer need cc once you have gear fyi, odd how that works.

LOL. The only people you meet are people that like the game? Gee.....I wonder why you don't find people online playing that don't like cata? Where could they possibly be?

Hint: They aren't logged in.

Your post is like going to the opening of a Twilight film and saying, "see everyone loves Twilight, I can't find a single person here that isn't a fan!"
02/02/2011 11:12 AMPosted by Mjlnr
What part(s) of it are you referring to? I myself run 1 heroic a day and that's been okay. I wouldn't do more heroics than that, there's plenty of other things to do in-game.

Sure there are plenty of things to do but the grind to get into heroics and raids is long if you do not have the time. This would not be as bad of an issue but Blizz has ignored and even ridiculed some of the things that the more casual (read people that can't be glued to the game 5+ hours a day) wanted. It seems like Cata was just tailored to the more hardcore players that have more time to game.

02/02/2011 11:15 AMPosted by Towelen
people sitting on the forums are not playing the game...meaning they are not exploring the content it has. there is the issue.

I would be playing WoW right now if I could...but it does not play well on my phone. Nice try though...on second though..not really.
02/02/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Sëabass

the people who are acctually complaining about heroics being hard are the minority, it is litterally almost impossible to find someone, on my realm at least, who doesnt like the challenge that cata brings, except people who are just completely narrow minded and want everything to go their way, worse players have normal dungeons, questing professions, lore, all that stuff, people who want a challenge, only have raids...heroics no longer need cc once you have gear fyi, odd how that works.

LOL. The only people you meet are people that like the game? Gee.....I wonder why you don't find people online playing that don't like cata? Where could they possibly be?

Your post is like going to the opening of a Twilight film and saying, "see everyone loves Twilight, I can't find a single person here that isn't a fan!"

Not really... he's trying to say that the majority of players are having fun and enjoying the game.

You know what's funny though? You can say the same thing about the whiners on the forum being Twilight fans in a theatre. People usually don't come to the forums to proclaim how much fun they are having.
02/02/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Lunarwraith

Truth. The "silent majority" should not be invoked by either side.
02/02/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Solaru
What part(s) of it are you referring to? I myself run 1 heroic a day and that's been okay. I wouldn't do more heroics than that, there's plenty of other things to do in-game.

Sure there are plenty of things to do but the grind to get into heroics and raids is long if you do not have the time. This would not be as bad of an issue but Blizz has ignored and even ridiculed some of the things that the more casual (read people that can't be glued to the game 5+ hours a day) wanted. It seems like Cata was just tailored to the more hardcore players that have more time to game.

people sitting on the forums are not playing the game...meaning they are not exploring the content it has. there is the issue.

I would be playing WoW right now if I could...but it does not play well on my phone. Nice try though...on second though..not really.

WoW through vanilla and BC was hard... and it brought in record numbers. Many people quit because it became waaaaaay too easy in WotLK.

Not really... he's trying to say that the majority of players are having fun and enjoying the game.

You know what's funny though? You can say the same thing about the whiners on the forum being Twilight fans in a theatre. People usually don't come to the forums to proclaim how much fun they are having.

Here's the thing. No one knows what a majority of the players feelings are. There is no way to know, and blizzard hasn't released anything about sub numbers. Everything is conjecture. I was pointing out that the OPs anecdote was meaningless because of the self selecting nature of his sample.
02/02/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Issac

Truth. The "silent majority" should not be invoked by either side.

Exactly both sides are vocal minorities and neither speak for the silent majority. They will either continue to play or leave without saying a thing. That said the dichotomy of what happens with the vocal players is probably indicative of some of the feelings of said silent majority. Neither side can claim superiority without numbers from Blizzard and those won't be coming anytime soon.
WoW through vanilla and BC was hard... and it brought in record numbers. Many people quit because it became waaaaaay too easy in WotLK.

That's a mighty big statement to make without any proof.

Didn't they each 11 million in Wrath?

at work dude. also not a complainer.

so let me see if I follow you...

You're complaining about people sitting the forums and not playing the game... but your defense of doing the same thing is being at work...

because no one else can ever post on the forums from work tooo... huh?

the "minority" of people complaining simply do not play the game or have experienced the content yet passed leveling and an attempt at a pug raid or two. im not talking about people with legitimate reasons for posting on the forums. im talking about the people that sit here everyday spouting off the same crap over and over while never playing the game itself. they clearly have no interest in the game yet they feel the need to continue to post here about why they do not like the game

the thread was about the vocal minority not everyone, i also never complained...
02/02/2011 11:52 AMPosted by Harbor

Swing and a miss. Did I once mention about the difficulty? Nope...not once. So maybe next time you can read what I posted and not read what you think I said :)
02/02/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Gruntkil
Don't give the limelight to people like this; They thrive off of your attention. It's called tough love.

No, thats called avoidance. Tough love involves confrontation and is typically only useful in therapy involving addictions (in adults, not minors) and sexual offenders.

Clearly, by behaving avoidant or confrontational, only serves to incite a larger portion of the community who perhaps would have remained silent...

***For the therapy comment, I can dig through some of my journal article collection if anyone is interested, although the research on offenders is not for the light hearted or weak stomached :/
02/02/2011 11:21 AMPosted by Etailer
So which side is actually the vocal minority? What proof do you have of this since you don't work for Blizzard? Other than that it's just one big failed assumption based on how you want things to be as to which side you consider the minority.

The side that doesn't agree with me is the vocal minority.

Am I doing it right?
02/02/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Etailer
Exactly both sides are vocal minorities and neither speak for the silent majority. They will either continue to play or leave without saying a thing. That said the dichotomy of what happens with the vocal players is probably indicative of some of the feelings of said silent majority. Neither side can claim superiority without numbers from Blizzard and those won't be coming anytime soon.

Agreed. In-fact anyone claiming superiority and trying to win and argument on the Internet may as well claim thay are winning at dying.
The problem with the playerbase, and the forums, isn't so much the people that cry about heroics, but just unreasonable players in general.

There's plenty of examples in this thread.

"BAWW IT'S A GRIND BAWW". Think objectively for 10 seconds. Vanilla was insanely more grindy, so was BC, and Wrath was about the same. You just don't remember. Not to mention that even Vanilla's grind was significantly smaller than most other modern MMO's.

"u r minority 2". The OP is not talking in regards to himself. He is talking about the players that complain about Heroics. Go and google 'strawman fallacy', because that's all you're demonstrating with these posts.
02/02/2011 12:14 PMPosted by Jelenedra
So which side is actually the vocal minority? What proof do you have of this since you don't work for Blizzard? Other than that it's just one big failed assumption based on how you want things to be as to which side you consider the minority.

Am I doing it right?

You're doing it exactly right.

Am I doing it right?

Yes. A subset of " Any class that can beat me is OP and played by noobs."