4.0.6 Fire Mage Rotation

Mage
I am a mage who for a very long time has done nothing but frost. Now that I have more time on my hands, I want to get into more randoms and, eventually, raids. I've looked up viable fire mage rotations and spell priorities in about a dozen different locations, and every website says something different. I know this is partly due to the several changes to mages since Cataclysm was released, so I figured I'd come straight to the source to get an answer. Any advice for this newb fire mage?
02/08/2011 11:22 PMPosted by Neuge
I am a mage who for a very long time has done nothing but frost. Now that I have more time on my hands, I want to get into more randoms and, eventually, raids. I've looked up viable fire mage rotations and spell priorities in about a dozen different locations, and every website says something different. I know this is partly due to the several changes to mages since Cataclysm was released, so I figured I'd come straight to the source to get an answer. Any advice for this newb fire mage?

Scorch, Flame Orb, Living Bomb, Fireball spam (using Mana Gem at ~80%) while keeping up Living Bomb and using Flame Orb on cooldown.

Pyroblast on procs and use combustion when you have Living Bomb, Ignite and Pyroblast on your target. Do this until around 20% mana and Evocate back up.

Now rinse and repeat, but this time, depending on how long your fight is, alternate using Scorch and Fireball at around 50% mana to keep your pool around that area.

This way you can burn the boss with Fireball spam if you need.
Thanks for the quick reply! Hopefully other mages in my situation find this thread easily enough.
thanks for the help there. Ive always been arcane and i just respecced. Good to know what up. Idea for glyphs?
For Fire?

Prime Pyroblast, FFB or FB (which nuke you use) Molten Armor
So it comes down to FFB or fire blast? I didn't know FFB was even a viable option in a fire rotation. I use FB quite a bit, I just never knew I had the option. Which is more appropriate in what situations?
due to the recent patch changes scorch weaving and mana management aren't really an issue for fire mages anymore. do not scorch weave it will drop your dps.
02/10/2011 2:39 AMPosted by Hiz
So it comes down to FFB or fire blast? I didn't know FFB was even a viable option in a fire rotation. I use FB quite a bit, I just never knew I had the option. Which is more appropriate in what situations?

If you have a glyph for frostfire bolt, then fire blast and ffb are the same, so it's your choice on what you want. I personally love ffb for the aesthetics.
02/10/2011 6:20 AMPosted by Ilikecake
If you have a glyph for frostfire bolt, then fire blast and ffb are the same, so it's your choice on what you want. I personally love ffb for the aesthetics.

I everyone is replied for single-target rotations aswell.

Pyro,LB,FBlast,FOrb,FBall, BlastWave,scorch,..... rinse repeat.

In multiple target encounters, Obviously always keep LB up, but also remember to always BW on cooldown, and to spread those DOTS with FBlast
02/10/2011 2:39 AMPosted by Hiz
FB meant fireball, not fire blast. The only reason to use fire blast is if you need to spread dots on ae packs.

And yes, frostfire and fireball and very close in dps, it's completely up to you which one you'd like to use.
So is it a dps gain/loss when you use Fblast procs on single target?

And also is it a dps gain/lose if you use your pyro procs when aoe dps'ing?

First, get combustion helper addon. Good combustions are key to fire dps.

There is no "rotation"

Start casting Pyroblast right before the tank pulls.
Cast Flame Orb
Cast Living Bomb
Cast Fireball until you get at least a 12k combustion. Combustion helper will show this.
Cast Combustion
Cast Fireball until Hotstreak procs
Cast Pyroblast! (the hotstreak version)
Cast Fireball until Living Bomb explodes then reapply Living Bomb and continue Fireballing

The only time you cast Scorch is if you are moving, or if you see critical mass drop off.

If there are multiple mobs:

Do the above and Impact your dots to the adds.
Cast Blastwave
Cast Flamestrike

If the adds have alot of health, and/or they are to far away from your original target
Pick an add near the back of the bunch. You don't want to pick one that other DPS are focusing.
Cast Living Bomb
Cast Pyroblast
If Impact is up use it.
If not use Blastwave/Flamestrike to proc Impact
Then Flamestrike them down

Basically you are spamming Fireball til Living Bomb expires or other abilities proc.

If you are going to run heroics I seriously would consider arcane.
You have no chance of breaking CC
Most mobs do not live long enough for your dots to fully tick.
Arcane will out DPS fire on most fights less than about 3 minutes (whicjh are almost all heroic bosses)
Dont cast flame orb or LB till u have a big crit up .... I do this
Prime pyroblast
Then fireball right behind it one normally will crit but wait till they crit hit LB then combustion thenflame orb and MI b/c ull pull aggro at this point
Dont cast flame orb if your trying to get a combustion up or itll ignite munch that nice pyro crit u just had b4 u can hit combustion.

This is how i do it works well try to keep from ignite munching as much as possible
Too add if you're not using it download Combustion helper. Do not use combustion of a bad living bomb crit, make sure your ignite is from either Pyro! or FB.

For AoE, especially in BoT pulls, it's hilariously fun to prime a pyro, lb, crit with either fireball/pyro, combustion, Blastwave, then cleave it. lol Halfus is an awesome boss to do that with. So is Cho'gal during 2nd phase and Maloriak. You know, just make sure you have Mirror images ready :P

I just wish combustion was on a 1 minute cooldown. It would make me care less about ignite munching.

LOL Remember our old combustion?
So is it a dps gain/loss when you use Fblast procs on single target?

And also is it a dps gain/lose if you use your pyro procs when aoe dps'ing?
Yes, Fireblast does less DPS than Fireball (since there's the GCD.)

In most cases, probably not. Keep in mind that Pyro is part of your AoE now, because of Impact. Our AoE is actually best on 3-4 high HP mobs due to Impact, rather than a bunch of low HP mobs (although Blast Wave/Dragon's Breath work well there.)

And you shouldn't be using Frostfire bolt because the DoT munches ignite. Besides that, Tinyfluffer and Supereclipse have the right idea. Keep in mind that most of your Combustion damage will come from Ignite and Living Bomb, so getting the Pyro dot is desirable but not necessary.

I just wish combustion was on a 1 minute cooldown. It would make me care less about ignite munching.

LOL Remember our old combustion?
The original one was absolute garbage, except it was a good way to find mages who didn't understand their class.

After the revision at least it was ok for PvE and 2 shotting people in PvP more reliably.
Thank you for this helpful post. I have been nothing but arcane since i started including while leveling and am going to try out a fire spec for increased aoe dmg in certain raid encounters.

Being used to a very simple spell rotation, it will take me a little bit of time to get used to dots on this toon so the way Tiny, Super, and Jibba explained things was very nice.
only noobs cast flame orb straight away

what you want is scorch lb and then keep casting fireball till you get a strong enough ignite (6k minimum, preferably 8-15k) dont worry about combusting with pyroblast if your ignite is strong enough..

after combust you cast flame orb, the reason you dont cast it straight away is it risks ignite munching a strong ignite.

kgo
I am a lazy raider and so I use this macro:

/castsequence [nochanneling:Evocation/flamestrike/Polymorph/Blizzard] reset=target Living bomb,scorch,fireball,Fireball,Fireball,fireball

NOTE: I have added in scorch in this to maintain the 5% crit buff for my raid. If there is another mage or lock that does it then I use another macro that doesn't cast Scorch. I lose a bit of personal DPS but my Raid is better off for it. (I also cannot rely on a Pyroblast or Pyroblast! to maintain it every 30 seconds, especially if I'm jumping across different mobs).
Note2: I have LB as first in my cast sequence as it allows me to click on a target, throw a LB on it and then quickly tab to another 1 or 2 targets to get multiple LB's up at the beginning of a pull.

AKA, Button_1

I also have another button for Pyroblast

AKA, Button_2

I have a third button that casts my Combustion and my Heart of Ignacious (or JC only-Jeweled Serpent Figurine). They all have 2 min cool downs so it lets me stay in synch.

#show Combustion
/cast Combustion
/use 13
/w frostbolter Cast Combustion

AKA, Button_3

The forth button is for standard Flame Orb.

AKA, Button_4

I have a fifth button for sneakily maintaining another LB on a mob (assuming multiple targets). Pre a multi-mob pull, I would target the one nominated to be killed last for my focus. Combined with the 'Combustion Helper' add-on, I can easily just press Button_5 whenever I notice my LB has dropped off the Focus mob. (As I said, I'm a lazy raider and I generally try to only maintain two LBs in a normal fight. Three is prefered though.)

/clearfocus [modifier:shift]
/clearfocus [target=focus,dead]
/clearfocus [target=focus,noexists]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [target=focus] Living Bomb
/w frostbolter LB cast

AKA, Button_5 - Note, this is situational an you can best work out when to use this yourself.

EDIT: Forgot Button_6

/castsequence [nochanneling:Evocation/flamestrike/Polymorph] reset=2 Fire Blast,Fire Blast,Scorch

AFK, Button_6 - Note - I only use this for when I have an cooldown-free Fire Blast. I have multiple spells in this cast sequence only because I use a G-15 KB and sometimes I forget to toggle it off. Otherwise just make it a single Fire Blast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a typical raid boss such as Chimerion, my normal rotation would be something like:

{G-15/G-13/G510 - Toggle Button_1 = ON; ie auto spam 1, 1, 1, 1, 1...}
Button_1 - LB
Button_1 - Scorch
Button_2 - Pyroblast (assuming Pyroblast! is not up) and thus triggering my triple combustion of LB, Ignite (should 90% be on) and Pyroblast.
Button_3 - Combustion is cast - be wary of time for Pyroblast to fly to target though. I hope for a good combustion (10-12k+) but in some fights you just have too much to think about and so at the very least I try to maximise my damage at the beginning and later on I will worry about getting the perfect 'combination' for my next combustion. At the very LEAST, make sure you have an IGNITE
Button_4 - Living Bomb
Button_1 - Fireball
Button_2 - Only if Pyroblast! (FYI, the ! indicates that it is the instant cast type)
Button_6 - Only if Cooldown free Fire Blast
Button_1 - Fireball
Button_1 - Fireball
Button_1 - Fireball

Rinse and repeat.

As mentioned above. Consume your first Mana gem at about 80% and evocate appropriately early and safely.

A good example of using Button_5 in a raid fight would be Halfus. Just set the focus on him and do your usual AOE or single target DPS on the other mobs but keep the LB on Halfus throughout the fight.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Frostbolter