Holy Priest Will Vs Fire

Priest
I use Inner Fire, I have until recently assumed that spell power for all heals>mana reduction for 3 spells (Circle Of Healing, Prayer Of Mending, and Holy Word: Serenity…Ok Power Word: Shield too I guess but as a holy priest I almost never use this). Lately I have noted other holy priest… good holy priest using inner will. What do you use and why?

Please keep in mind I am approaching this from the perspective of a holy priest in a raid group.
I used to use Inner Will just because of the mana reduction for instant cast spells. This was when I did not have Heroic gear and thusmy mana regen sucked. Now that I have heroic gear and my regen is decent, I use Inner Fire for the buff to healing.
If you are a holy priest, your main go to spell as Blizzard FORCED upon us is Heal. Pair renew with Chakra and you will sit there casting Heals on people and maybe flash heals. Thus Inner Will is useless. If you have decent mana regen, throwing out POM when it is up should not put you oom.
I'm Holy for PvP (inb4 people judge), so of course I use Inner Fire.

For Inner Will, I'd still use Inner Fire for the SP bonus

I used to use Inner Will just because of the mana reduction for instant cast spells. This was when I did not have Heroic gear and thusmy mana regen sucked. Now that I have heroic gear and my regen is decent, I use Inner Fire for the buff to healing.
If you are a holy priest, your main go to spell as Blizzard FORCED upon us is Heal. Pair renew with Chakra and you will sit there casting Heals on people and maybe flash heals. Thus Inner Will is useless. If you have decent mana regen, throwing out POM when it is up should not put you oom.

pretty much this, throwing PoM, CoH and keeping renew up on the tanks should not oom you, the extra SP would be better/is better imo.

He said "Please keep in mind I am approaching this from the perspective of a holy priest in a raid group".

To answer his question, in terms of a raid group, it depends. Since 4.0.6 PoM/CoH are essentially kept on cooldown while raid healing. The mana reduction for PoM/CoH and to a lesser extent Renew/PW:S (yes, PW:S is now useful for Hpriest for more than Body and Soul procs) does add up over the length of 5-10 minute fights. Add in the fact that PoH heals for 15 percent less and it makes a larger difference (more mana saved on instants translates to more mana available for PoH... and instants). The movement bonus is also nice.

On the flip side, the 500 SP from IF adds up and the armor bonus is nice for encounters featuring adds that may at times run up and wack you.

If you have zero mana problems I would say go with IF all the way. If you don't need the 500 extra SP for throughput reasons and mana is a concern use IW.

As an example on something like Chim I would probably go with IF, since it's not very mana intensive on non-fued phases and that 500 SP might help in getting people topped off. On something such as V+T I would probably use IW due to the movement and increased use of instants.
I play a priest, and so far while raiding i have been using IW. Like what Ankhe said, theres no point using IF if ur raid healing, most of ur heals are going to be for CoH, PoM, and Renew. Sure using Heal/GH/FH might be ur go to heal for players less than 50% hp, or heals on tank, but ur not using them the whole time, so the +500 sp isnt really needed. But on my priest, Yallahall, i have used both in raids, and i prefer using IW over IF. I dont have much mana problems, by the time i go long on mana i use my regens, then by the next time im low again my regens r just coming off CD. If u can control ur mana CDs and the use of ur mana it really wont matter which u use. But overall i feel to control my Mana i need to us IW. When i did use IF i had to call for a mana tide, or an innervate. It's pretty much what u prefer to use in raid, and everyone heals differently and since there is no heal rotation, you should just go with what you think helps you the most.
I use inner fire, as a holy priest. My general heals look like this.

Renew, Chakra, Heal, Heal, Heal

If the tank takes a ton of burst damage i'll toss two flash heals and a greater heal with the Serendepity buff.

And of course flash heal if Surge of Light procs.

For group damage it's PoM and CoH for the most part...But i find keeping renew up with Chakra/Heals keeps me pretty well off on mana.

Out of all of those, Renew and PoM are our only instant casts as heal spec. And with Chakra, i only have to cast Renew a few times during a fight.

I can see discipline using Inner Will more, especially with shield spam becoming more popular.
I love love love inner will as holy. Saves mana when casting our bubble + body and soul is absolutely delicious.
Hehe Ream is a good nickname
If you're ooming yourself casting renew and renew is your top healing ability.. You're doing something extremely wrong. Just sayin'. I'd much rather extra spell power on abilities that are my top spell.
@Ankhe - do Renew calculation with IW and no MA or 2/3 MA and 1/3 MA also for more accurate comparison.
After the changes to disc (and holy) I'm pretty sure I'm going to run IW all the time for either spec in PvE raiding. As disc, I rarely stop to cast a spell besides a penance/Gheal on the tanks, and for holy I would assume its pretty similar, running renews and CoH/PoM. Obviously if you're tank healing, thats probably not the case, but when in doubt:

Lots of instant casts - IW
Lots of long casts - IF

Yes, you can change mid fight.
Costs no mana to switch between the two but I usually use inner fire. My rotation is

Renew, Chakra, Heal, Serendipity

If my target dips down to 70% hp or less I cast greater heal and follow up with a serendipity, surge of light, or Heal.

If you find yourself switching between tank heals and raid heals, you can switch to inner will during your renew and aoe heals and then switch back when you go back to the tank. Just depends on how scattered your heal style is.

The majority of the time I am using Inner Fire but wouldn't hurt if you are having mana issues to switch.
Inner Fire.

I'm mainly a raid healer so I need all my heals to hit hard so I can triage the next victim. I rarely have mana issues unless something bad and catastrophic happens.
02/14/2011 5:31 AMPosted by Ankhe
Spending an extra 1000 mana for an extra 100 heal every 3 seconds is not worth it.

People who use inner fire also take that talent too.