Name not available. Character does not exist.

Customer Support
I tried to create a character called Koschei on Khaz Modan, and was told "That name is unavailable." Then, I looked it up on the Armory and received the message, "Oops. Character Not Available?" (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khaz-modan/koschei/)

Could someone clarify the meaning of the message? Does this character actually exist? Is this name going to be free sometime in the near future?
The toon could be less than level 10, someone's bank alt perhaps. If it's a toon someone uses as a bank alt, it's unlikely the name will be free.

You can put in a ticket in game to ask a GM check to see if you can be allowed to snipe the name from whomever currently has the toon with that name. They don't always do this, it's rare - but the worst that can happen is you'll be told "no".
There is a built in name filter, can you try making the character on a server where the name is definitely not taken to verify that it's not that? If somebody has the name reserved but has not signed on for a very long time, their armory will not show up, can you try in-game mailing this person to verify the name is actually taken?
Could be that the character is under level 10. Or that the character hasn't been logged in on in a while.

Just because something doesn't show on armory doesn't mean it isn't there. Also, named aren't just freed up on their own. If you want to see if the name in question is available to be freed up for you, you can put in an in-game ticket asking about it.
The armory is a bad place to look for free names. As Jae mentioned the character could be low level and not show up.

The best way to see if a character exists is to /friend the name. If you get a message that the character was added or not part of your faction, then someone has the name. If you get a message that the character does not exist that means the name is not in use by a player. It is possible that the name is restricted or locked from a paid service.
It gives a different message when a character is lower than level 10. Just try to look this character up. It'll say, "Oops. Only characters level 10 or higher can be viewed."
it's not the filter I tried that, name is available on at least one other server.

edit: i deleted it immediately after testing.
It could also be locked after a name/faction change or such.
It could also belong to someone whose account was permanently banned. In that case, the name will never be free AFAIK.

Or maybe because it "belongs" to the Dr Who universe....
Yeah. I've got the name on a different server.

I'm thinking about transferring my character here, and would like to keep the name if possible.
Also, named aren't just freed up on their own.

I know that certain paid services will lock a name for a while. I know Paid Name changes lock a name for 90 days so if the character has been name changed, the name should become available again. I don't know if that effects the ability to friend a character or not though.

Or maybe because it "belongs" to the Dr Who universe....
Actually, it's originally a mythological figure similar to a Lich. Although, that is why I want it. Either way, that wouldn't explain why the character is locked on this server and not others.
02/22/2011 7:27 PMPosted by Raijinn
I tried to create a character called Koschei on Khaz Modan, and was told "That name is unavailable." Then, I looked it up on the Armory and received the message, "Oops. Character Not Available?"

Listing on the Armory depends on the level of the character and how long it has been since the character has been logged in. If it has been a little while the character may not appear.

I looked into this, Raijinn, and it appears that the name is taken.
02/22/2011 7:58 PMPosted by Vrakthris
I tried to create a character called Koschei on Khaz Modan, and was told "That name is unavailable." Then, I looked it up on the Armory and received the message, "Oops. Character Not Available?"

Listing on the Armory depends on the level of the character and how long it has been since the character has been logged in. If it has been a little while the character may not appear.

I looked into this, Raijinn, and it appears that the name is taken.
Thanks. Looks like I'll try special characters or something.