Arcane Mage Spell Rotation?

Mage
I've looked up guides but I still don't fully understand what the ideal spell rotation should be for an arcane mage. Could anyone give me a simple explanation?

General mage tips are also appreciated.
Your rotation as you call it cannot be told by anyone else because it all depends on your current situation mana cds available and the fight itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISsOjfHgtws It hard to get used to....
02/24/2011 5:57 PMPosted by Âmnesia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISsOjfHgtws It hard to get used to....

he doesnt need a smart ass comment he needs an answer
it wasnt a smart ass comment, it was an answer.
Essentially you want to maximize your Arcane Blast while also staying consistently high on mana. There really isn't a rotation. Hit your Orb every CD, Arcane Blast as much as you can and stay high on mana, Arcane Missiles on proc to clear stacks if needed and Barrage if not.

Evocation is only on a 2 minute CD, so you want to stay high on mana and then burn down to around 40% right before Evocation comes off CD. Intersperse Mana Gems depending on the fight.

Remember that you want to use Mage Armor.

Amnesia helped cure my case of sad. XD

Thank you, Tyrion, for your helpful answer.
essentially your raid rotation, even though he says there really isnt one, there is. You want to arcane blast to 80% mana, use your mana gem, arcane blast spam to 40% mana then your normal 4stack arcblast arcane missle rotation, and if thats too heavy on mana, do 3stack arcane blast, you only really want to use barrage during your burn periods, which is when mana gem/evo are off cd. doing all this while also throwing in your flame orb every minute.
First he insults the spec, then he shows hes retarded.

Anyways heres what you "should" be doing provided you're level 85 ect ect.

This is pretty general.

100% mana > potion > images > Arcane blast > flame orb > Arcane blast (85%ish mana) > Mana gem + CDS > Arcane blast spam > 20%ish mana (depending on int procs) evocate > 90-100% mana > AB spam to 85% mana > hover using arcane blast with missles or barrage > mana gem + CD.... 20% mana evocate > rinse repeat.

Things to keep in mind.
- During high spellpower procs, you can go a little further with your arcane blasts even during conserve phase.
- Never use clearcasting on a 1 stack of arcane blast
- Flame orb / Images when you have SP cooldowns up (most cooldowns have a 50-60 sec icd)
Alright. Any advice on pre-raid DPS? I know I'm still leveling and it's not necessarily the end of the world, but I'm kind of disappointed that I'm always 3rd or 4th when in comes to top DPS and I used to be either 1st or second.

And... the main problem I have with this character is that she used to be a lot of fun and now she's... not. I started her out pre-Cata as a frost mage. It was fun to freeze things and blizzard everything in sight. Then that pre-Cata patch came out and I didn't have blizzard and the stupid water elemental was mandatory, so I switched to fire. Fire was okay, but it wasn't as fun and I did way less damage in groups than I used to. Then somebody told me to switch to arcane because it was cool and did good damage, but it's confusing.

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's a spec that does better DPS and is more fun while leveling?
its really borin!, but if you have to know ABx3 use missles if they proc (arcane barrage if not) pop cds. use fire armor until 20% mana and then go to mage (after you use evo, mana gem etc) thats pretty much it, and with arcane you have some extra talent points to put whever you want.
there is also a 2x arcane blast rotation, but i hear its dps is VERY low, im a fire mage and havent played arcane since WOTLK, so if something works better thats kewl
02/24/2011 4:43 PMPosted by Rhiannonn
I've looked up guides but I still don't fully understand what the ideal spell rotation should be for an arcane mage. Could anyone give me a simple explanation?

Bind every single key on your keyboard to Arcane blast. Then repeatedly smash your face onto your keyboard. Look up every now and then to restore some mana.

FFS its not that hard. Your not playing a warlock here....
Warlocks are hard lolololol

"use fire armor until 20% mana and then go to mage (after you use evo, mana gem etc) thats pretty much it"

Oh god
02/25/2011 3:07 PMPosted by Slowz
Warlocks are hard lolololol

Let me make something very clear

Warlocks are not hard. The level of complication is perfectly suited to weed out bad players from great players.

No, Warlocks are the baseline. And arcane mages are so far below this baseline that if they were any lower, we'd all be digging them up as fossils from archeology sites. And not the mount and pet fossils. The guaranteed trash fossils after you already have those two.
let me make something very clear

Mages are not hard. The level of complication is perfectly suited to weed out bad players from great players.

No, Mages are the baseline. And destruction warlocks are so far below this baseline that if they were any lower, we'd all be digging them up as fossils from archeology sites. And not the mount and pet fossils. The guaranteed trash fossils after you already have those two.

Fixed it for you.
02/25/2011 3:25 PMPosted by Slowz
The level of complication is perfectly suited to weed out bad players from great players.

I watched an Arcane mage today pull 12k on Argaloth. Looked at recount and it showed 85% damage from Arcane blast, with only arcane Missles and Barrage mixed in. That was it. 3 spells. For a raid boss.

Yes, using only 3 damage spells on a raid boss and pulling 12k in %#@%ty gear is the perfect level of complication. Your right. Im sorry. I'll leave.
First he insults the spec, then he shows hes retarded.

Anyways heres what you "should" be doing provided you're level 85 ect ect.

This is pretty general.

100% mana > potion > images > Arcane blast > flame orb > Arcane blast (85%ish mana) > Mana gem + CDS > Arcane blast spam > 20%ish mana (depending on int procs) evocate > 90-100% mana > AB spam to 85% mana > hover using arcane blast with missles or barrage > mana gem + CD.... 20% mana evocate > rinse repeat.

Things to keep in mind.
- During high spellpower procs, you can go a little further with your arcane blasts even during conserve phase.
- Never use clearcasting on a 1 stack of arcane blast
- Flame orb / Images when you have SP cooldowns up (most cooldowns have a 50-60 sec icd)

I found this post informative Slowz. One question though about the clearcasting thing:

If you have no stacks of the AB debuff, and you have a clearcasting (i.e. it proc'd from whatever you cleared your last stack with). What do you spend it on if not another AB?
Well then you have to, I mean if you have 3-4 stacks of arcane blast, dont use missles if you have clearcasting up. If it procs with missles, then GG :(.

Another note: Clearcasting has an internal cooldown of 15ish seconds now with a 40% proc chance, meaning it happens fairly reliable to the point where you can almost track it and assume you're going to get a proc, if you have a internal CD timer.
02/25/2011 3:37 PMPosted by Scyley
The level of complication is perfectly suited to weed out bad players from great players.

I watched an Arcane mage today pull 12k on Argaloth. Looked at recount and it showed 85% damage from Arcane blast, with only arcane Missles and Barrage mixed in. That was it. 3 spells. For a raid boss.

Yes, using only 3 damage spells on a raid boss and pulling 12k in %#@%ty gear is the perfect level of complication. Your right. Im sorry. I'll leave.

3 damage spells. You are forgetting:

Mana Gem/trinket
PoM
Evocation
Arcane Power
Invisibility (when needed)
Mirror Image

Not to mention, the mage your referring to is bad, and did not use Flame Orb.

To further complicate the spec, the amount damage you do at 50% mana is far less than the amount of damage you do at 100% mana, so you need to closely monitor mana levels and try to stay as close to 100% as possible, while taking advantage of as many AB stacks as you can.

More damage spells <> more complicated, less damage spells <> less complicated. I don't even raid and I understand mage rotations better than you do.... quit trolling our boards.