Password reset: Secret Question & Answer

Customer Support
Ok, over the weekend I went to visit my sister a few towns away. I figured I'd bring my laptop and my authenticator with me and play wow with my sister and her husband since they have accounts as well.

So I go to log in and I suppose since I was logging in from a different IP address, the system saw this as suspicious, EVEN THOUGH I was using my authenticator! So my account is locked at this point.

Now for the fun part, it tells me to check my email or something to see what to do next. So I check it, it wants me to reset my password. So I follow the link, input all the info it wants then it asks me to answer a security question. Problem is, I NEVER put in any answers to a security question when I set up the account, back when it was still managed by the worldofwarcraft.com website. So I'm thinking that when the merger happened, the system never got that response from me so there is no correct way to answer it. And I don't see anywhere on the battle.net account site to where I could change the question/answer.

Luckily, I was able to call my husband and get the original CD Key to my account! If for some reason those boxes were thrown away I would have been screwed! I called Blizzard that night and they "said" the wait was only gonna be 25 min. After an hour my phone died and the call was ended. Very frustrating indeed!

I've emailed billing and they told me there isn't a way for me to update the question/answer on my account. This is BS!

TLDR: There is an issue with your account security challenge question and there needs to be a way to update/change your answer to that question ESPECIALLY when people didn't even answer it in the first place!
Ok, over the weekend I went to visit my sister a few towns away. I figured I'd bring my laptop and my authenticator with me and play wow with my sister and her husband since they have accounts as well.

So I go to log in and I suppose since I was logging in from a different IP address, the system saw this as suspicious, EVEN THOUGH I was using my authenticator! So my account is locked at this point.

Now for the fun part, it tells me to check my email or something to see what to do next. So I check it, it wants me to reset my password. So I follow the link, input all the info it wants then it asks me to answer a security question. Problem is, I NEVER put in any answers to a security question when I set up the account, back when it was still managed by the worldofwarcraft.com website. So I'm thinking that when the merger happened, the system never got that response from me so there is no correct way to answer it. And I don't see anywhere on the battle.net account site to where I could change the question/answer.

Luckily, I was able to call my husband and get the original CD Key to my account! If for some reason those boxes were thrown away I would have been screwed! I called Blizzard that night and they "said" the wait was only gonna be 25 min. After an hour my phone died and the call was ended. Very frustrating indeed!

I've emailed billing and they told me there isn't a way for me to update the question/answer on my account. This is BS!

TLDR: There is an issue with your account security challenge question and there needs to be a way to update/change your answer to that question ESPECIALLY when people didn't even answer it in the first place!

But you do have one, Sweet. You may very well not remember doing it, but there is one on the account :)

The problem with making this too 'easy' is if you get compromised - and that's quite often done through phish attempts where folks provide WAY too much information - it would be just as easy for the compromiser to get an even firmer hold on your account.

Having an authenticator is great, and protects an account in about 99.99999% of cases, but there are certain especially evil pieces of malware that COULD get around one. Not through one, but around one. It's hard to do, and they don't normally bother - but that's why the other checks apply even to those with authenticators.

Well the issue is, I KNOW which high school I graduated from because I graduated from it! lol

And when I put the answer in it says it's wrong. I've tried it every single variation I can think of and the system wont accept my answer. I need to know how to get it reset or update it to another question/answer. Do I have to call customer service on the phone to get this resolved? If so, what time of day is best to call so I don't have to wait and hour+ to talk to someone.

this is highly frustrating when I am locked out of my OWN account. I find it odd that one could be locked out of their account on such a small technicality such as maybe mispelling a word when they put the info in the first time, which I still don't remember ever doing. My CD Key may not always be available and I would like to make sure I can always access my own account at will. A security system that bars the owner him/herself from access is a little too strict IMHO! Furthermore, I believe it should be up to us if we want the "suspicious activity lock" feature turned on. I simply went to play wow at another location and was locked out. The fact that I had my authenticator should have told the system that I was in fact ME and not a hacker :)
You may want to think about if you possibly added any spaces, or if you included the word high or something. Spaces count, so if you put a space after your answer you'll need to include it.
I just got off the phone with customer service and they confirmed what the answer was. Funny thing is, I put that answer in a few times to no avail. I even had the caps in the right places too. Weird!

I guess it's a good thing that I can use my CD keys to gain access whenever this happens. I guess I'll have to make a sort of "emergency access kit" when I travel which will include all the original boxes and their cd keys! lol

Anyhoot, I did let the representative know that it would be cool to have a feature on Battle.net that would allow you to tell the system when you'll be traveling, so it will expect you to log in from a strange IP address. You could tell it how many days you'll be away so there won't be any issues. He said it was a great idea and would forward it to the proper people for consideration because something like that would definitely cut down on calls of this nature.

Oh, and for those who might be traveling, you can call in and have yourself added to the "white list" which basically tells the system that the very next IP address you sign in from is safe and thus will not lock you out!

And thank you Orlyia for your prompt and informative post!