Unholy PVE Guide (5.2)

Death Knight
Prev 1 6 7 8 22 Next
sorry if this has been addressed but i couldnt find anything about this. i noticed that under the reforging tips you only stated unnecessary hit, crit, and exp into haste. since mastery is so close to haste in stat values do we not reforge it into haste, or do we? i assume the difference would be marginally small but clarification would be awesome. again sorry if this has been addressed. thanks :)
this is just ej lol
Thank you very much for making this guide, I only started my DK today and I'm loving it, planning to make it my main. To be honest I question your spec in Unholy a lot at first, but then everything is very well thought out as I learn more about DK gameplay. Thank you again xD
sorry if this has been addressed but i couldnt find anything about this. i noticed that under the reforging tips you only stated unnecessary hit, crit, and exp into haste. since mastery is so close to haste in stat values do we not reforge it into haste, or do we? i assume the difference would be marginally small but clarification would be awesome. again sorry if this has been addressed. thanks :)

Sure! If there aren't any lower valued stats that can be reforged on an item, you will want to exchange mastery for haste. It's a slight gain, but a gain nonetheless.
This would happen when:
  • an item has only mastery and you don't need hit rating
  • an item that has hit and mastery and you require the full hit rating that item provides

04/17/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Ilydreamer
this is just ej lol

I should hope so :P. I am the author of both threads.

Thank you very much for making this guide, I only started my DK today and I'm loving it, planning to make it my main. To be honest I question your spec in Unholy a lot at first, but then everything is very well thought out as I learn more about DK gameplay. Thank you again xD

No problem. Glad you found it helpful.
good guide

the spec isn't very good though
good guide

the spec isn't very good though

Whats wrong with it?
I often ponder the motivations and rationalizations of noobie Dwarven Hunters ;P
04/27/2011 04:27 PMPosted by Heartless
I often ponder the motivations and rationalizations of noobie Dwarven Hunters ;P

Yay thread author!

Another question, i am now nearing close to enough VP to get the gloves or trinket or one of the cheaper VP items. What would you recommend getting, or should i save up and wait until i have enough to get chest/legs? I know for other plate dps the common consensus was "get the trinket first, its amazing till you are well into raiding", but what about for UDK?
The first piece I bought with VP was the trinket. A lot of the other pieces have very nice stop gaps (i.e. close/suitable replacements) that will tide you over until you can save up. With the trinket, it's so dominantly good that it's worthwhile to just spend the points and know you won't replace it until hardmodes :) After the License, I'd save for your 2P.
The relic is worthy of consideration early on depending on what you already have, as it is very cheap, and won't be replaced until 4.2 probably.
Relics are generally the smallest upgrade available. You're better off saving your points for something more worthwhile until the relic slot is the last thing you need.
One thing im curious about for our lovely dead spec, is why do people put the 1 point in rpm over 3/3 ams? Rarely do I find myself rp capped, and usually only after using ams to absorb.

also do people think unholy is going to be dead for a while or when blizzard sees the numbers more nerfs will be reverted? (deathcoil please)
The single point in RPM isn't to keep you from capping but rather to let you save up enough RP during DT to immediately build 3 stacks of Shadow Infusion after it fades. It's recommended since that strategy provides practical DPS benefit in every scenario. AMZ is still a possibility in that spec with slight modification in the spare point expenditures if you are running fights where that is a frequent request/boon that you enjoy.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee Blizzard modifying our spec significantly. Judging by the lack of changes in 4.1, it seems they're satisfied leaving it with the small RoR un-nerf. It's reminiscent of how Frost was put on the back burner in 4.0.3-4.0.6 while all the core work was being done with Dreadblade. Unholy may not be as handicapped as Frost was at that time, but I welcome the day when perhaps DC or the ghoul is augmented just a bit more to keep pace. If not for the sheer enjoyment of playing the spec, having near equal DPS options brings diversity to raids.
Awesome guide, thank you. I just hit 80 yesterday and had no idea how to grow or play this character. Your time and effort in building this guide will be a great help. Thanks again and kudos to you.
No problem, thank you!
i hadnt played my dk since jan '10 when i found the ret pally alot of fun and i was getting tired of blizz changing unholy (well, all the specs really)

after playing the riftblader and it getting the nerfbat, i decided to try out the dk only to find Consider no longer around

luckily heartless put up this sticky two days later and ive been having fun ever since(dks seem alot more refined than they used to be)

it was entertaining to read and thank you for your efforts

i still might try out frost since the 353 maces are cheap enough but i have some macros that could help out lessen the buttan pooshing

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=120 Death Pact, Raise Dead

#showtooltip Summon Gargoyle
/cast [@focus,help,nodead][@player] Unholy Frenzy
/cast Summon Gargoyle
(add any /use trinkets)

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=5 Icy Touch, Plague Strike
/startattack
/cast [@pettarget,harm][] Claw
(if you suck and tend to let your dead friend pull the mob across the room that you tabbed to..maybe take out the last part)

#showtooltip
/cast Icebound Fortitude
/use Healthstone

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=60 Outbreak, Pestilence, Blood Boil
( you still need pest and bb on your bars but its nifty unless youre like me and FORGET THAT WE EVEN HAVE AN OUTBREAK)

#showtooltip
/cast Scourge Strike
/startattack
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();
( i had the pet attack part tied to this but i kept pulling mobs across the room :P)

yea i know most of these are copied from the first page, and i might need to tinker with them a bit, but so far, theyve been a big help

thnks agin
Glad to hear it! I would say it is definitely worth trying the various specs if you have the weapons available. The stat priorities between the DPS builds aren't very different and gearing dual specs is a lot more friendly now :)
Great guide, really helpful!

One thing in your macros though

#showtooltip Unholy Frenzy/cast [Target=Focus]/Run SendChatMessage ("Unholy Frenzy on you! Damage increased by 30%"."whisper".nil.Unitname("focus"))/in 30 Run SendChatMessage ("Relax, frenzy ended!"."whisper".nil.Unitname("focus"))""

Shouldn't it say haste increased by 20%?
Or am I missing something?
You're correct. The original author of the macro must have sent it to me with the flavor text from another effect. I'm not sure how I overlooked that as well. Thanks for catching the error.
YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!