Outdated SMF guide. Please remove sticky. :)

Warrior
Prev 1 8 9 10 35 Next
Halfus shoulders are itemized perfectly for us . Gloves that drop off of, say, Chimaeron have haste/crit Plated Fists of Provocation, so the tradeoff between the set gloves and Chima gloves is less than the tradeoff between the set shoulders and Halfus shoulders.

Although, you can add in a 40str gem from the Chima gloves... so that makes it interesting. Most top wars seem to be doing Halfus shoulders, rest is t11.

Yeah the shoulders are really nice right now, but if the stat weights are correct in 4.1 mastery will become our worse stat will the crit on the shoulders make up for the excess mastery on the shoulder?

Then tier shoulders I believe have hit and haste, the hit won't be bad and you can reforge the haste into crit. The tier gloves have haste and mastery our two worst stats where you could trade those off for the chima gloves for crit and haste.

So wouldn't it be better to get the tier shoulders over gloves? This is just my thought on it so far I can stand corrected at anytime.
With 4.1 you will want to avoid any piece of gear that has both haste/mastery on it, so the gloves will be the optimal offpiece.

Once again, it should be noted that landsoul currently has haste being slightly better than hit, but currently his model does not include execute so we will see what happens.

Either way it looks like mastery is definitely the worst stat and crit is by far the best stat. Its so far ahead that any item with crit on it will almost undoubtably be better than items with any other itemization.
But if the shoulders are no longer the best off piece I will not have red shoulders for quite a while when I replace these with Chim gloves D:
03/06/2011 04:24 AMPosted by Collision
Why should you trust my advice? I have a degree in awesome, and when I'm not tanking (Freaking 3 tank fights) I'm generally ranked on on WoL. I've also spent entirely too much time testing my theories in simulationcraft and in raid encounters.

Okay, then ... can we see your data?

As much as I'm sure your strategies are sound, and I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, seeing the data you drew these conclusions from might be very enlightening. Who knows? There might even be a combinations of stats or maneuvers you didn't think to try simply because it sounded too absurd, and someone else might want to fill in that gap in the data.

(I know I'm treading on dangerous ground by making this request. The usual response to "Why is this better than that?" on these forums is "Because I say so" or "Because thus-and-so said so" or "I saw it somewhere on Elitist Jerks, and I don't have a link for you but I know it's the case.")
I have collaborated with the fine fellas of Ej on most of my findings. I would post links but you can very easily go to the website and check the fury thread there. Also, im on vacation at the moment and posting on a droid x is freaking hard.

Otherwise it just comes down to results, you can go to world of logs and check there. Go to archimonde and click voodoo, then check any random log and you will see that I consistently pull good to excellent numbers when im not being awful and dying.

Which brings me to my next point, if someone like myself who is no where near an "elite" player can pull those numbers with mostly 359 gear, then I must be doing it at least mostly right.

Im always open to suggestions for anything that could possibly improve this guide so if you have any please let me know.

:edit: the logs are hit or miss in the last couple of weeks due to various life issues which have taken priority, so you may have to go back a month to find consistent ones where I am in attendance.
04/07/2011 01:05 PMPosted by Collision
I have collaborated with the fine fellas of Ej on most of my findings. I would post links but you can very easily go to the website and check the fury thread there.

Is this the one?

http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t106912-fury_dps_4_0_cataclysm/
04/07/2011 09:14 PMPosted by Bwaargh
I have collaborated with the fine fellas of Ej on most of my findings. I would post links but you can very easily go to the website and check the fury thread there.

Is this the one?

Yes
04/07/2011 09:14 PMPosted by Bwaargh

Is this the one?

Yes.

Do I have your blessings yet?
Any input on using H Heart of Rage/FoA combo or stick with HHoR/LtS.

I'm so attached to my FoA I dont want to give us the coordinated burst proc =(

Pretty much coming down to LtS vs FoA

Any opinions or fight experience where the combo works better/worse?
It's a wash, really. Anything with a burn phase (Magmaw, Maloriak, etc) FoA will win out, anything else they're basically equal.
Using foa/hhor seems obvious to me. I think landsoul has something against foa honetly. This is why I kinda take EJ info with a big grain of salt. They all drink the same kool-aid.
So what's going on with crit and mastery once 4.1 hits? Are we avoiding mastery all together and just reforging it to a more desirable stat?
hello all, i found this thread by googling lol. i was introduced to SMF by a pug warrior wielding 2 epics. lol. i thought to try it out myself.

previously i was using arced war axe and sword of the bottomless pit both enchanted with hurricane and was pulling 14k on burst and generalling dropping to 9k-8k.

now i'm using buzz saw and sword dawnblaze blade both enchanted with hurricane and i'm pulling a stable high 8k nearing 9k.

any thoughts on my gear? here is my armory link :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/caelestrasz/yatokagami/simple

im generally using BT > BT > BT > slam and RB if its available.

i have read the old thread and taken some advice from a warrior pulling 14k on dummy.. i'm pulling stable high 8k to nearing 9k on dummy now.

and yes i have expertise capped.

any thoughts on my gear? here is my armory link :

1. You have 4 tank pieces (
2. You have 1 PVP piece
3. You have +40 Crit and +40 hit gems. Use hybrid gems (20str/20crit or 20str/20hit) if you must, but I would recommend almost always using +40 STR gems (except in the case of, say, your legs where the socket bonus is worth gemming for). The Hybrid in your bracers is wrong.
4. You have 6 unenchanted items
5. You have 1 missing blacksmith socket
6. Your IoY is reforged incorrectly

I don't think you read the guide. You're kind of wasting our time.
thank you for your reply even though you feel it is a waste of your time.

i understand that vastly of my gear isn't well enchanted or suited for dps.. i'm generally using what i can hold of atm. i know it isn't great but i'm working on it.

i know about the pvp piece. i know it isn't good. but the warrior i learnt from had that pvp piece on him too. and he pooled for 14k stable. so.. i thought it was okay. i do have reserve pieces of equipment just incase though.

am reading through it again and again and checking out my stuff will do a resocket and revamp of my equipment.

but still thank you for the advice. i'll keep reading and understanding and i'll get better and hope to contribute to this discussion again.
I've not run as SMF in quite some time, and though I try to stay current with it's standing I have little doubt that I am behind - so this is advance apology for ignorance displayed unintentionally.

I was curious to know if it would be plausible to compare SMF to a Shadow Priest. Whereas you would need an encounter with some longevity to get an accurate read on your output.

Where MS perhaps is quite a bit of burst but not so much for keeping it up (Hah, see what I did there?) I'm not sure because I've only ever ran Heroics as DPS and never with an SMF Warrior, or at least, one that knew what they were doing.

I would (according to my faulty logic) think TG would be closer to how MS seems -- bursty but with better endurance for sustaining numbers.

I don't raid too often and even more rare (rarer?) am I DPSing in said raid, so I'm unsure as to where things fall for each spec (Hence this question).

Once again I apologize for my blatant ignorance on the matter and my absurd use of ()'s (they're just fun thought bubbles really).

As well, thank you in advance for incoming input on the matter.
Umm.... what?

Is TG bursty? Yes. Is SMF bursty? Yes. Anything is bursty if you blow all your cooldowns.

What is your question, exactly? The only question I could pick out of your post was whether SMF could be compared to a shadow priest. Well, I've never played a shadow priest beyond level 20, but if it is the way you described it, then yes. In fact, not just SMF, but all Fury can be either bursty (with cooldowns) or if you play it properly in a raid scenario, your damage sometimes takes a minute to top the charts.

It depends on your procs, your cooldowns, the boss's burn phases, etc.
Hrmmm -- I see. I apologize for the ill wording.

The question, I guess, was: is SMF a climbing DPS before you plateau, whereas MS it seems is much easier to explode and maintain, to some degree I'm told.

It may just be since I haven't play SMF for some time that I'm unaware of changes, proper rotations, etc. Was just trying to do a bit of research.