Fossils and Archaeology

Professions
Post Limit:
I've always wondered, since starting Archaeology, why we're digging up fossils. Fossils aren't really related to archaeology, fossils are more geology and biology/zoology. Archaeology is the study of past human civilizations (and in the case of WoW, pseudo-human civilizations).

So, with that in mind, why not get rid of fossil digsites as a whole, and simply make fossil fragments a "byproduct" we loot alongside non-fossil fragments, similar to how Herbalists loot Volatile Life on occassion when they loot a plant?

It seems that's a bit more realistic and interesting anyway; the chance to pull up some old bits of bones of extinct species when you're digging in cultural digsites, as well as getting rid of one of the most common complaints - "I have to go to a special dedicated digsite for fossils when I don't need any, and I'm going to scream if I see another fossil digsite."

Cheers!
I've always wondered, since starting Archaeology, why we're digging up fossils. Fossils aren't really related to archaeology, fossils are more geology and biology/zoology. Archaeology is the study of past human civilizations (and in the case of WoW, pseudo-human civilizations).

So, with that in mind, why not get rid of fossil digsites as a whole, and simply make fossil fragments a "byproduct" we loot alongside non-fossil fragments, similar to how Herbalists loot Volatile Life on occassion when they loot a plant?

It seems that's a bit more realistic and interesting anyway; the chance to pull up some old bits of bones of extinct species when you're digging in cultural digsites, as well as getting rid of one of the most common complaints - "I have to go to a special dedicated digsite for fossils when I don't need any, and I'm going to scream if I see another fossil digsite."

Cheers!

While this isn't a bad idea, it doesn't solve the problem with archeology. It just pushes it back slightly.

Fossils are common in EK and Kalimdor, which is why people finish the rares for them quickly and then get sick of them even faster.

Let's say you're working on your professor title. You go to outland, only two types of digs there, right? Both for races you're interested in, right?

So, you dig for a while, and hey! Orc hat, horay!

At this point, any further orc sites are useless to you because you've now gotten all the rares from orcs, yet you have to keep on digging them and they make up almost 50% of the sites in Outland. So, while you're working on getting the rares from the Draenei, ~50% of your time is wasted.

It's the fossil problem all over again, only with a legitimate race that actually is archeology this time.
Oh, no, "fixing" Archaeology would require a lot more than my suggestion. I don't mean to suggest that doing this is the cure-all.

My suggestion merely makes it a bit more interesting overall (imo) and looks at one aspect of it (the boredom with fossil sites as well as fossils not really being related with archaeology at all).

Archaeology requires a lot more grooming than what I could come up with (and honestly, more finesse than what I have seen from the forum posters as a whole).
Digging for paleontology and archaeology use pretty much the same techniques, I think. In fact, anthropology and paleontology may be sub-sets of archaeology.
03/10/2011 3:53 PMPosted by Solzhenitsyn
Digging for paleontology and archaeology use pretty much the same techniques, I think. In fact, anthropology and paleontology may be sub-sets of archaeology.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Archeology is a subset of Anthropology.
03/10/2011 4:57 PMPosted by Faestus

Actually, I'm pretty sure Archeology is a subset of Anthropology.

Correct :)

Specifically, Anthropology is the study of both past and present biological, cultural, and social variations with regards to humans and humanity.

Archaeology is a subset of this, which is concerned with -specifically- the past and historical variation of humanity focusing on what humans produced and used during that point in time.

Paleontology is the study of plants and animals which are extinct. No humans or humanity are involved, unless you're talking about pre-cursors to what we consider man.
hmm, seems you are right. Still, digging up human bones, vs digging up dino bones? Archaeology will never just magically give people what they want, or if it does, people will just complain how much harder it was when THEY got their rares.
This, this, a thousand times this!

Digging up fossils is not archaeology--it is paleontology. Besides, dinosaurs actually exist in Azeroth, and the theory of evolution by natural selection just doesn't apply there. The creation of Azeroth is not a lore that competes with scientific explanations like it does IRL. There is no extinction, there is no evolution. Heck, there really is not even death. Everything respawns as many times as you manage to kill it (or as many times as it kills you)!

Fossils were stupid from the get-go. From a pure lore standpoint, fossils don't add to the narrative. And if archaeology isn't about lore, what the heck is it--just a place for players to qq about Zin'Rokh?