Healers Have To Die

UI and Macro
1 2 3 26 Next
Anyone familiar with this addon? If not, it places a red cross above healers in pvp to make it easier to spot them. It helps when you're fighting a big group and can't see the healers.

We were discussing it's use on my server today, and someone pointed out that it breaks the game and makes it unfair. Basically, calling any of us who used it a baddie.

I wanted to know what your thoughts on it is? Is it bad, is it good?
Edit: I was incorrectly referring to the addon so I changed the topic title.
Its fine they are just jealous of your skill.
I agree it does break the game to a degree
Usage of an add-on does not imply skill. However, the add-on isn't against the ToS, so whether or not it breaks the game is irrelevant.
There was a big thread on this not long ago. It just devolved into a bunch of PvP dps claiming it was fine, which the healers were saying it makes it too easy for the bad players to find the healers. So far as my experience goes, I have to say I've noticed being singled out a lot more on my healer, and people seeming to swarm at me from a long way off, which didn't used to happen. Basically, it gives people that don't have the situational awareness to target healers, a big neon sign saying "kill this one!"
That's funny. I thought the game UI prohibited raidmarking opposing force players.
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.
I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.
Wow! This add-on sounds like it may help out Alliance a lot. Now instead of trying to chase down the hunter trying to kite them, they will focus on the real threat in the BG. I may have to get back into BG's. A couple minutes into a BG I will hit up the score board and identify who the healers are and then call out to make sure you kill them first. Never works but now that there is a big shiny X the healer might become a priority. Of course now the Horde will defend and protect there healers and Alliance healers will be left to get zerged.

I do agree eventually finding healers in a BG will be like finding a unicorn.
Wouldn't it be just the same thing as putting a raid icon on the healer?
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.

While it's not currently broken, Blizzard could decide to break it. It vaguely reminds me of the one that let Raid groups "draw" on top of the graphics of the game - so they could doodle in where to stand, for example. If they decide to break it, the usual manner is to do something to prevent the addons functions.
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.
I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.

"Most" people aren't good at PvP. The adon doesn't help you kill anyone faster, but if the entire raid spots you sooner, that means you're dead sooner, no?

As far as within the rules, I think it's OK. Calling someone a baddie for using it is kind of stupid: everyone uses any adon they think they need to help them achieve their desired goals. If you don't need any adons to do anything, kudos to you. I need a few.

I said it in the last thread and I'll say it in this one: this adon has made me enjoy PvP again not because I go after healers, but because using a WoG on myself while killing a melee usually makes all the melee come looking for me...and I get to feast as a Prot Paladin =)
03/09/2011 3:00 PMPosted by Eilethalua
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.

While it's not currently broken, Blizzard could decide to break it. It vaguely reminds me of the one that let Raid groups "draw" on top of the graphics of the game - so they could doodle in where to stand, for example. If they decide to break it, the usual manner is to do something to prevent the addons functions.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is in line to be broken now that it's exposed. To my knowledge, with the base interface, I am prohibited from placing marks on players of the opposing faction. If this is being enforced by interface lua code instead of by the game itself, it's bad exploitable design.
Thanks to everyone for making a bunch of good points. It's good to know that there isn't as much hate against this addon as I thought. It really makes life a lot easier when you pvp, I'm sure we all can appreciate that.
If it's not against the Rules it should be. It's hard enough to get healers in a BG anyway, and now we're being singled out by an addon? That's not cool. Not my Fault that people can't correctly assess a situation to figure out that I'm holy, You just really need better situational awareness.
If your Target is getting heals, odds are there is a healer.
03/09/2011 3:05 PMPosted by Rhiza

I wouldn't be surprised if this is in line to be broken now that it's exposed. To my knowledge, with the base interface, I am prohibited from placing marks on players of the opposing faction. If this is being enforced by interface lua code instead of by the game itself, it's bad exploitable design.

Hm.. What does anyone else have to say about this? Does this make the addon against the rules?
So it shows them all wearing Benediction?
03/09/2011 3:07 PMPosted by Gharm
Hm.. What does anyone else have to say about this? Does this make the addon against the rules?

It's DEFINITELY against the spirit of the rules. But no, not against the rules as they're written. But the rules get changed to clarify things like this from time to time. Wouldn't surprise me if they clarify and break the adon.