The iconic MMO raid boss, Ragnaros...........

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
I don't know. Rag was no C'thun.

C'thun now... that was a boss.

...must be a post vanilla player

C'thun wasn't hard after blizz hot fixxed his a** so he could be killed, once they fixed the bug he was downed a few hours later.
03/10/2011 3:50 PMPosted by Fingoifin
once they fixed the bug he was downed a few hours later.

Isn't that the story of every Raid boss that was previously impossible to kill?

*cough* Sinestra, who was hotfixed WHILE Paragon was making attempts?
The problem is that you have no context or perspective on the model you've seen a static image of.

1) Standing next to the full-sized, animated model will give you a very different perspective when you're looking up from his toenail
    2) Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

He's not just going to be running around the moment every raid reaches him. :)

Oh man, you dropped the bomb and spoiled the fight. I'm happy for the fact that he will be grounded, but I'm not happy that you spoiled a potentially epic moment. Thanks.
Um, they trivialized Ragnaros when they made the Lil'Ragnaros companion pet.

There's really no putting that genie back in the bottle.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=68385
The problem is that you have no context or perspective on the model you've seen a static image of.

1) Standing next to the full-sized, animated model will give you a very different perspective when you're looking up from his toenail
    2) Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

This doesn't really change the fact his proportions are way, way off. I mean, I know he isn't human, but... the artist in me cringes when I look at his proportions. I honestly question your art department's decisions on this one.
I don't know. Rag was no C'thun.

C'thun now... that was a boss.

...must be a post vanilla player

C'thun wasn't hard after blizz hot fixxed his a** so he could be killed, once they fixed the bug he was downed a few hours later.

Haha oh god I remember this madness. I was part of the progression point that reached him when he was bugged and unkillable, literally wiping a raid the second they moved into his room. And yes, it was done purposely I think. I don't think they thought anyone would pass twin emps due to the highly unique mechanics to them(first time we encountered anything like that). They hadn't finished C'thun yet and/or didn't want him to be killed that soon because Naxx was still a quite bit away from being a reality. The hardcores got to him far too soon for their liking. If I remember correctly, it took them at least a week to make him beatable, aka hot-fix him so raiders could actually make an actual attempt on him.

C'thun was quite a fun fight, but when I think of iconic raid bosses, ragnaros definitely tops him. The first time anyone saw ragnaros spawn out of the lava pool to greet Executus, was very much a "wow" moment. Not wow as in the game, but "OMG WOW" obviously. I don't really mind that he has legs, as long as the rest of his model looks amazing in action, not from a stand-still photo that's not taking into account spell detail/particle effect or anything. I know he's going to be absolutely massive. Probably bigger than his MC version, by quite a bit.
I am coining "Leg-Phase" right here and now. Every time a raid leader mentions "okay guys, we're going into the leg phase now, keep it up" I will want to collect a 2 gold royalty.
Shouldn't the heroic mode add epicness, not poorly designed legs?
03/10/2011 4:05 PMPosted by Shockington

Had people not known about the model before-hand, it probably would have been more exciting to be fighting a static Ragnaros before he decides "aw, **** it", climbs out of his lava hole and starts running through the raid smashing people.

Had people not known about the model before-hand, it probably would have been more exciting to be fighting a static Ragnaros before he decides "aw, **** it", climbs out of his lava hole and starts running through the raid smashing people.

If the proportion is the same as what we have seen, it would most likely look even more ridiculous seeing it for the first time.

I predict Rag will be just like almost all of the other bosses we've seen lately, unavoidable raid damage to make the fight "hard". Of all the bosses I've killed in this game none hold a candle to Kael Thas and Vashj. Those bosses actually felt epic, now we're into the age of "lol raid damage", defeating an encounter feels far from satisfying.

Oh man, you dropped the bomb and spoiled the fight. I'm happy for the fact that he will be grounded, but I'm not happy that you spoiled a potentially epic moment. Thanks.

Right, because those of us debating the art design in datamined screenshots are totally the type to get to the end of heroic firelands without knowing what happens...
03/10/2011 3:46 PMPosted by Zarhym
Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

36-24-36 and Platinum blonde?
You guys are no fun. I like the new model.

Spoilers!
Only mobile in heroic mode?!
Posting in a LEGendary thread.
I don’t think a lot of you understand; perspective is a large part of art design. The designers probably designed the model looking upwards from his feet. I bet you Rags’ll look epic when you see him in person