The iconic MMO raid boss, Ragnaros...........

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
The problem is that you have no context or perspective on the model you've seen a static image of.

1) Standing next to the full-sized, animated model will give you a very different perspective when you're looking up from his toenail
    2) Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

He's not just going to be running around the moment every raid reaches him. :)

No, that is not the problem. The problem is that the model just looks very silly, too silly. I mean, you might as well plaster a bunch of smiley faces all over his bottom half.

The problem is adding feet to a model that looks like it was designed to not have feet. It's an upside-down triangle in shape, making the legs and feet like awkward and silly. Widening the bottom half would make it a bit less silly looking. His head could also grow a little bit, not so much to make it look cutesy. Maybe the head is fine and the shoulders are too big? It's just awkward looking when your head is smaller than your shoulders.
Hard mode or not, it doesn't make any sense for him to suddenly grow appendages and what not.

I really feel that you have spoiled the original design with this no matter what you want to spin on it. Don't fix what isn't broken etc.

How do you know he never had legs before? You don't know. Maybe he just didn't use them?

Stop being THAT guy. Really. Just enjoy the game.
Perspective or not, he looks downright silly with legs. Whether those legs are the size of mine or the size of Alexstrasza doesn't matter, that's average silly vs giant silly, either way it's still silly-looking.

Ragnaros is an Elemental, one with Fire, he looked fine and intimidating enough with the swirly cloud bottom; what if you gave legs to Fire Eles, Voidwalkers, Wind Eles? They'd just look silly. Ragnaros with legs is Silly on a Large scale. My own opinion =P

It's not too late...you can pull a Starcraft: Ghost and not do it. ;D
03/10/2011 3:12 PMPosted by Anaideia
Deathwing is already a joke with his Toon Town Drake-esque look on the loading screen.

Every time I've seen that screen since the release, I kept thinking...where do I know that face from?

Then it hit me and I wept.

http://img837.imageshack.us/i/madwing.jpg/
The problem is that you have no context or perspective on the model you've seen a static image of.

1) Standing next to the full-sized, animated model will give you a very different perspective when you're looking up from his toenail
    2) Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

He's not just going to be running around the moment every raid reaches him. :)

wait why does he even come out...

oh well ill figure that out sooner or later, I really need to get raiding
God forbid we wait until we see a final, animated version of this Ragnaros before we judge it.
http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?title=Ragnaros&image=New_Ragnaros-jpg

:O He looks HORRIBLE!
TOO SOON! YOU HAVE SPOILED THE FIGHT TOO SOON ZARHYM!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh my, what have I started.

Well again, not trying to cause a problem, and thanks for responding.

I agree I have no idea what it will look like in action, maybe it will look great.....

....however, in that screenshot he has the male night elf lower half. Which to most players is considered the goofiest look of any toon model in game. I mean, have you ever /walk on a male night elf? LOL lets just say when you do, it's time to change that diaper, cause it's clearly full.

Have you ever walked backwards on a male nightelf? That's actually how they're SUPPOSED to walk, 'cause they moon walk. :)
You can't make an informed judgement of this model until you've seen it as it was intended - with the proper animations, background, lighting conditions, particle effects, scale, perspective, and so on. Even the music, dialogue, sound effects and fight mechanics will play a part in influencing how people perceive him in-game.

Ever see a creature in a film that you thought was really cool, but then you see a behind-the-scenes shot of that creature's model, out of its element, and find it decidedly less impressive? It's the same principle.
03/10/2011 4:24 PMPosted by Aurturis
I don’t think a lot of you understand; perspective is a large part of art design. The designers probably designed the model looking upwards from his feet. I bet you Rags’ll look epic when you see him in person

He looks epic in person already - in Molten Core. Where you can't even really see all of him. It's amazing watching him rise up out of the lava pool.

If he's that huge with legs, he's just another giant.
His Lucha Libre name is

EL SCORCHO.

I'm sorry it's just too easy. I'm sure he'll be a huge bada** but the image is so silly. Here's hoping he takes a liking to stepping on people with his fiery Dr. Scholl's.

But why does he need legs in the first place?
Because there's a fight phase in which he's mobile, and his normal model doesn't work for walking on the ground.

Why not? Being mobile doesn't require legs. Naga don't suddenly sprout legs to move around, and the elementals I've run into in the world don't have legs either, and they are mobile.

Legs are not required for mobility, and if they are I demand all elementals be given legs so they no longer defy the laws of reality.
I have a feeling when we look up at rag his legs are going to be the least of our worries for that angle.