Is Old Content going to be Redone every patch

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 17 Next
I think zarhym just put the smack down on us :-)
03/10/2011 5:43 PMPosted by Search
don't know what the explanation is, but Cataclysm seems sub-par in terms of content, compared to other expansions. It seems like the vast majority of the content of this expansion was re-vamping the vanilla content - which we've already paid for once.

I disagree. Completely. You can't call cataclysm 'vanilla'. It's a lot more than a new paint job and decals. As for paying for it twice? Nah, for new players something definitely needs to be done, but as an older player, definitely don't mind having paid 'twice for the same area'. The Cataclysm world if simply much more enjoyable than Vanilla ever was.
I was kinda bummed that I won't get to revisit the stuff for nostalgia , but in the same way I'm bummed that Hi-C Ecto-Cooler is no longer on the market or those delicious Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle "Turtle Pies" are no longer available for purchase from my youth.

I have found memories of those things, but in truth I didn't purchase either of those things for long enough that their original removal from market didn't even garner my attention. It wasn't until we were having one of those discussions like. . ."dude remember ____, wasn't ____ the best" "DUDE! Turtle Pies" "ECTO COOLER" Then we wondered where we could get one or something even remotely similar only to find both had been discontinued (albeit with small campaigns to both Hostess and Coca Cola to reinstate the recipes).
03/10/2011 11:46 PMPosted by Insertcoins
When was the last time any of you actually ran ZG or ZA? I've been playing since vanilla and I have done ZG a ton of times. So do I get pissed when its reintroduced as a 5 man? No I don't. If the rest of the world has changed and evolved why wouldn't old content change and evolve?

Why doesn't the rest of the world evolve? Because we defeated it? Because this part of the world no longer exists?

Ok, if the above doesn't work for you then how about this. I ran ZA right up until the very end of TBC (on every raid reset to get everyone possible a mount). I ran ZG until the end of WotLK (and still never saw a tiger drop). Why do I NOT want to run ZG again? Because now I'll be forced to run it with other people besides me 1-2 close friends. Why do I NOT want to run ZA again as a 5man? Because it'll be an insult to its memory. ZA 45min runs where fun. They were challenging. They were my favorite instance in WoW. As a 5man, the timed run will be anything but the sort and it will award another war bear. Will the new ZA be fun at first? Sure. But when we crush the timed run in couple of attempts, it'll just make me sad.

So no, I do not want to run stripped down versions of content I ran to death. I do not want to run 5man versions that will already be a joke upon release (thanks to the fact that I already outgear them).

So the zone/level ratio is about 1:1 in both Cata and Wrath, both of which had more zones per level than Burning Crusade.

Over 5 levels, that's still 1.4 instances per level. While it's fewer total instances, it's more instances per level than Wrath, and just slightly less than BC.

Wow you are really reaching here aren't you? Zones per level? Dungeons per level?

I actually laughed out loud at your argument. You are comparing all of that to the amount of levels gained as a argument for introducing less? Seriously? Think about what you are saying...
03/11/2011 2:48 AMPosted by Kultiras
All the people talking about how ZA and ZG are going to be the same as they were at 60 and 70 haven't been keeping up with MMO champion. >.>

This is exactly the same. Same zone. Same bosses. Same abilities just tuned for 5man. They renamed the last boss, but he still functions the same (thank god they got rid of tornado's).

Watch the video... exactly the same.
03/11/2011 7:21 AMPosted by Amishguy
Hi-C Ecto-Cooler
Loved that stuff!
03/10/2011 5:32 PMPosted by Zarhym
You can look at our job opportunities page just to get an example for the talent search we have constantly going on.

Are you guys looking for an Economist that lives very close to Round Rock Donuts? Just saying, science doesn't have to be dismal in the morning...
lot of people in this thread mistaking their opinions for facts.

you dont like a particular aspect of cata thats fine. but its your perspective, not everyone shares it. your views are your own, they are not absolute truths.
03/11/2011 3:44 AMPosted by Dosloco
I quit due to all of this, I cancelled my Sub for 3 accounts. Doing the same thing over and over got boring, On to RIFT

irony detected.
03/10/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Floyce
I want to know if Old Content is going to be redone every patch or expansion.

Yes. Mobs will hit you, and you will hit them back.
Bottom line is rehashed content is boring. Great for you guys that never played it the first time, but for those of us who did, there's not a lot of reason to go in there.

This talk about losing WoW developers, or that WoW is left to a "B team" is getting tiresome.

The lack of any real originality in the tier gear sets (visually and set bonuses) is getting tiresome.
The constant class changing nerfs and buffs that are being pushed out ALL the time are getting tiresome.
The complete crap itemization on tier gear is getting tiresome (FYI - I'm not getting ANY tier gear from t11)
The lack of interesting mechanics for tanking short of phase 3 of ONE encounter is getting tiresome.
The general lack of content that was released this expansion from 80-85 is tiresome.
The idea that "more is better" when it comes to quests is getting tiresome.

I could go on and on like this, but it really just feels like the "B team" is working on the game. If it's not a raid not, I'm typically logging into SC2 if I have the choice.
Hmm, I just read blizzard's COO, Paul Sams, quote from Gamasutra, talking about Titan:

"I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams told Gamasutra. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team."

Constructive feedback and criticism. Not this rehashed whining day in and day out without ever actually saying anything of substance EVER.

You don't get to decide what the forums are for or what should be said in the forums, its an open platform for everyone to speak their opinions. If people want to post constructive posts, they have the right to do so, if people want to violate the Code of Conduct in their posts, they have the right to get banned lol.

If you don't want to read the stuff you have the right to not come here also.
I appreciate the response by Zarhym but at the same time, just the fact that he had to post an explanation for something that should be inherently understood by everyone is scary...for lack of a better word.
03/10/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Floyce
We took out Hakkar and took out Zul'Jin.

So what you are telling me is that you never do an instance after the first time? I know that isn't true, so if you can kill Arthas or whoever multiple times, then why is it any different to "resurrect" (however arbitrary the story becomes) Hakkar?

Look, I don't think many people understand this, so I'll put it in a way you can understand. Video game "stories" always suck. Period. They are always contrived so that they move players from point a to point b. There is no other "purpose" in a story than that.

I think we've forgotten that WoW is based off of dungeons and dragons. When you play D&D lots of !!@* ends up being contrived. But guess what, alot of !!@* is already contrived in WoW. Ever notice how Wanted: Hogger was being completed by players every 10 min, yet he was still sitting there in Ellwynn forest, time after time?
03/10/2011 3:17 PMPosted by Zarhym
And let's get real - we know why you're recycling old content. With the next Starcraft 2 expansion, Diablo 3, and an "unannounced MMO" all in production, I'm guessing the art team has its hands full. Recycling old content is an easy way to create a "new" instance with old art assets.

There isn't a singular Blizzard Entertainment art team. Each franchise has its own art department. We don't just pull resources from one project to give more attention to another in the sense you're suggesting. This is why we have multiple development teams (which include art teams for each) and can work on multiple franchises simultaneously.

Sigh. Someone posts a ridiculous strawman and THAT gets the response.

"We know?" Who is we? Claiming a bad idea you have is held by others doesn't make it less bad, it just means more people are ignorant.

This ignorance is the real reason they recycle old content: because the ignorant continue to pay for it and there is little to no competition in this market.

As soon as there would be, gosh, more than 0 MMOs that were competing for subs perhaps the content would be updated faster or with more innovation. Other than that, wow/blizz can take their time and polish as long as they'd like because they see no reason not to. This has only to do with subs and new players. Look how long ICC was around? Laugh.
03/10/2011 1:32 PMPosted by Krixie
Revamping Deadmines and SFK made sense, seeing as how the containing zones got revamped, but i dunno, i don't see the reasoning behind bringing back ZA and ZG... sure STV prolly got a revamp (haven't quested there yet, planning to on this toon) But Ghostlands is a BC zone, it didn't get changed at all, as far as i'm aware, i just don't see the purpose of revamping it.

Wait till you see all the cool lore they're putting out with these !