Ask the Devs - Answers #1

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
Thank you to the devs who answered these questions and to the CMs who did the legwork.

I was very impressed that a couple of questions of particular interest to me got answered frankly and as openly as possible:

Character Art: An honest answer. They want to update the art and almost certainly will as soon as time and the development schedule permits.

The Appearance Tab: Awesome to hear an official acknowledgement that we are being heard and that they would like to do something.

Voice Chat: I was actually surprised that they addressed this. I think it's been assumed for the last couple of years that Blizzard has quietly let this feature fall under the radar because, as they frankly said, they're not pleased with it. Again, I'm very impressed with the openness here.
03/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
To get world PvP back in some form, we’d have to develop something like the Isle of Quel’danas: a non-flight zone that is not a sanctuary where players congregate to finish quests or earn rewards. We’ll think about ways to do something like that again in the future.

On this, I'm still not entirely sure why in this expansion where the war between the Horde and the Alliance being at an all time high, the Hero's Call Boards don't offer any PvP weekly quests to slay faction leaders - they'd offer gold, conquest and honor points and the faction leader chosen would be random. I think that would be a great way to get some more city raids happening.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=Ask%20the%20Devs&s=popularity&f=post

They skipped a few that show up as more "popular" (such as loaded questions), but all the North America ones at least are near the top of the list.

YAY! I'm so happy to see the AV question is on the front page of that list. I probably wont be around for the PvP thread start (as I'm in the UK) so hopefully someone else will post AV questions - there's such a large demand for a longer battleground and Alterac Valley with a bit of work can totally fill that void of being a persistent, raging battle. Make it happen!
03/14/2011 10:09 AMPosted by Draug
any ETA on the next set of questions we get to pose?

Yup!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2452400#blog
Q: What is your favorite escape/distraction when you arent working on WoW? – Danksz (North America/ANZ)

Sigh. Nothing like a wasted question taking up time that could have gone to one more worthy of being addressed by developers.

While most of the information was typical non-answers, "we would like to in the future" stuff, it is nice to at least see an effort being made to provide more interaction between players and Devs since there has been a notable decline in such communication. The only problem with this format is the voting system. It would be interesting to see what page of the original threads these questions were posted on. Questions posted on pages 1 through 5 are obviously going to get more votes than say pages 15 to 20. It is also unrealistic to expected people to go through all 26 pages of questions and vote on the ones they feel are good. People will focus towards the front or back of the thread and that's it. Perhaps a better solution to this is for the CMs to go through each page and pull out the top post of that page to answer. Yes there needs to be a balance between all the different regions and their questions, but it seems more fair than the current system.

The other thing, which is already being addressed to a point, is limiting down the type of questions. Questions like "is Mastery good for this class spec" or "what do you think of this class in PVP" are better kept for Class Specific Q&A threads - which we probably won't see.

A good start, but definitely a system that still needs some tweaking. Definitely a long way from the Q&A threads of the past or Developer Twitter chats (which had more questions addressed and more definitive answers given). It's almost like the Q&A sessions at Blizzcon. They are a great idea but usually are too short and get filled with nonsense questions that don't address or challenge the Devs to answer.
03/14/2011 10:12 AMPosted by Ellipsis
Nuts my questions wasn't answered.

Even if it was it would have been spun off in the "Were not working on it now, but may in the future" answer set.

Seriously, if your not going to answer questions directly whats the point?

Its obvious they just picked the easiest questions to answer and spun the rest.

Awful.

My question was were they happy with the consolidation of lock out times / loot for 10 / 25 man raiding and if there were any unforeseen consequences such as a significant drop in 25 man participation.

It was highly voted (so were a lot of others) but it was on page 6 so prob didn't get enough.
Q: While mining and herbalism both supports two other professions (jewel crafting and blacksmith for mining, inscription and alchemy for herbalism), skinning only support leather working and is less viable. Will you consider adding some small advantages for skinning, for example, chances to get more cooking material, to make skinning more attractive? - 柴德洛夫 (Taiwan)
A: Skinning has its own advantages though. For example, you can skin the same targets you are killing for quests or while running a dungeon, while Mining and Herbalism often require you to go out of your way to gather that resource. Sometimes you get lucky and find a field of recently-killed corpses, just waiting to be skinned.

there arent many creatures who can be skinned in the cata dungeons and most players do not pick up the junk loot that creatures always drop and therefor cannot be skinned by others.
Its obvious they just picked the easiest questions to answer and spun the rest.

Awful.

Excuse me? We answered the majority of the questions which had the most votes by the forum community. If you don't like the questions answered then you should ask your own, and/or vote on those you'd like to see answered.
...it is nice to at least see an effort being made to provide more interaction between players and Devs since there has been a notable decline in such communication. The only problem with this format is the voting system.

Agree with this. I'm really happy they chose the route of giving each Q&A a 'theme' so that some questions that otherwise wouldn't get answered (AV, AV and AV!) have at least a fighting chance of doing so.

[b]Q: Daily Battlegrounds only reward 25 conquest points, which is really low (considering the fact that daily heroic dungeon rewards 70 valor points). Would you consider to adjust that, as Battlegrounds attracts PvP beginner more than Arena does.
–賽君 (Taiwan)
A: I think it’s fair to say that Rated Battlegrounds aren’t yet offering rewards commensurate with the logistical and time commitments that they ask. We really wanted Rated Battlegrounds to be attractive to players who loved PvP but weren’t huge fans of Arenas. We don’t think we’re quite there yet and Arenas continue to be very popular just because they take fewer players and can be completed quickly. If you love Arenas, great. But we want there to be alternatives.

This question was not answered. They were talking about the conquest point reward for doing the daily battleground. Their question did not ask about rated battlegrounds.

Where's the answer about 10 vs 25 player heroic difficulty raid balance? It was a very popular question by halfway through the thread to the end. It's a shame that raiders have better things to do than sit trolling the forums all day to spam questions about character appearance and love is in the air. Hopefully the time that has been set for questions to be answered will allow some better questions for the first 2 pages.
03/14/2011 10:12 AMPosted by Bashiok
any ETA on the next set of questions we get to pose?

Yup!

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2452400#blog">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2452400#blog</a>

I anticipate a lot of frost mage qq questions ;)
A: We are pretty happy with PvP balance overall. We think this season may be the best overall in terms of balance. There are definitely some areas where we can improve. Remember that part of our goal with Cataclysm was to encourage more players to try Rated Battlegrounds as an alternative to Arenas. Some classes that struggle in Arena, like hunters and Balance druids, perform very well in Battlegrounds. We recognize that Rated Battlegrounds haven’t yet caught on with players, especially more casual PvP players, as much as we’d like.

Are you aware that both resto shaman and warriors are completely ignoring the Cata design of slower emptying and filling of health bars?

Because it is breaking your game in arena.
That was a pretty fast turnaround for answers.

Wish the CDev answers were this fast (though to be fair they had a metric ton to sort through).