How much bandwidth does WoW use?

Technical Support
Post Limit:
So my mother got her internet bill today and blew a gasket because we had managed to use 90GB of bandwidth last month, resulting in massive overcharges. Naturally, she blamed me, because I'm the WoW player in the house.

I believe she's wrong, as there are other internet users in the house, however, I need some way to prove this. So I'd like to ask: how much bandwidth does WoW use? Say, per hour of standard play. Is bandwidth use recorded by WoW servers?

Also, is there some way to prove from the fact 87GB was download and 3GB was upload that it could not have been my fault?
Do you have anyone in the house that likes to download videos or stream videos?
There are several free bandwidth monitoring software applications you can use to see exactly what is using your bandwidth, and how much of it. I would look into getting one of those.

Other then that, I don't think Blizzard can give you the numbers you seek.

So I'd like to ask: how much bandwidth does WoW use? Say, per hour of standard play.

Not that much. You may want to download a bandwidth meter and find out for yourself.

03/25/2011 9:59 AMPosted by Edwardlxi
Is bandwidth use recorded by WoW servers?

It might be, but not in a location where you would be able to have access to it.

03/25/2011 9:59 AMPosted by Edwardlxi
Also, is there some way to prove from the fact 87GB was download and 3GB was upload that it could not have been my fault?

Almost certainly not, unless you had some sort of intensive logging running on whatever device acts as a gateway for your home (e.g. a router).
03/25/2011 10:02 AMPosted by Laning

My mother watches an hour long broadcast once or twice a week. I believe it's relatively low quality.

My father watches youtube videos a few hours a day.

My brother does as well, but he doesn't spend quite as much time doing that.
There are several free bandwidth monitoring software applications you can use to see exactly what is using your bandwidth, and how much of it. I would look into getting one of those.

Other then that, I don't think Blizzard can give you the numbers you seek.

03/25/2011 10:03 AMPosted by Pahanda
Not that much. You may want to download a bandwidth meter and find out for yourself.

Tell me more about this Bandwidth meter. Would I have to install it on every computer in the house?
03/25/2011 10:04 AMPosted by Edwardlxi

My father watches youtube videos a few hours a day.

This is where the extensive bandwidth usage comes in, YouTube eats up more than anything you've listed.

WoW uses maybe 15-20 MB of data over a 4 hour period, ultimately depending on what you're doing.
Tell me more about this Bandwidth meter. Would I have to install it on every computer in the house?

You would install it on the computer you're playing WoW on. There are many programs out there that can do it; you should look around to see which one suits your needs.
I used about 1.1 MB of data in about half an hour of questing. WoW is not the reason why your bill was so high.
Netflix is a killer as well.

Some other sources to think about:

- Netflix streaming (on Roku device, computer, xbox, ps, etc...)
- Internet streaming (Youtube, Hulu, etc...)
- Excessive cell phone usage using a mini cell tower or similar broadband voip device
- VOIP services (Skype, etc...) used excessively
- P2P applications for downloading music/files (Limewire, BitTorrent, etc...)

The list could go on and on.

- P2P applications for downloading music/files (Limewire, BitTorrent, etc...)

Limewire actually bit the dust, but your P2P point is certainly valid!

If you have Windows Vista or 7, right click your desktop, go to Gadgets, then click "Get more gadgets online" in the bottom right.

There's a pretty popular Network Meter to be found. The preview is all black with various coloured text in it.

This monitors your up/down bandwidth for you until you tell it to reset.

If you put it on everyone's computers you can see who is eating up how much bandwidth.
90GB is not all that much, as for me i use almost a TB of bandwidth a month (1000GB) lucky for me, i have a 12 year old contact that gives me unlimited. WoW does not use a lot of data, I do not have a number per hour, but it has got to use about the same as online games like Call Of Duty etc, and after playing about 8 hours on my PS3 I only used about 300-400MB, at that rate for 90GB it would take about 2060 hours in a month, which you are not playing, streaming videos uses a tonne of bandwidth, for example Netflix uses about 3.5GB for a 2 1/2 hour movie, Youtube and other sites do not use as much but it is still a lot higher then WoW would use. So if you play a lot, you may have used some of that, as for 90GB? No where close.
Check the post dates, love. :) Appreciate your trying to be helpful anyway.