Best expansion?

General Discussion
Post Limit:
1 2 3 9 Next
What do you all think the best WOW expansion ever was (for it's time)? Second best?

I do want to say this: Try not to be too blinded by nostalgia. I know a lot of people will say Classic, and that's fine, but I somehow doubt that if WOW reverted back to the Classic a lot of them would be saying the same thing. There was a LOT going wrong for WOW that people seem to forget. But it was still a charming era in WOW so I understand.

Anyway, here's my list (best to worst expansion for its time):

Burning Crusade: Wow this expansion had it all! They introduced flying mounts, dailies, and heroic dungeons. Horde got Belfadins and Alliance got goat Shamans! Stats on gear made more sense. More class specs became playable. PVP became much more competitive (rather than in Vanilla when raiders could keyboard turn all over the map and own face). A cool into 10man raid that wasn't too hard, but just fun. The questing was far more tolerable than the old world. A COOL profession was introduced, unlike the professions of later expansions (Blizz has recently forgotten that Scribes exist and Archaeology is kind of insulting really). Rogue poisons stopped having charges in BC too didn't they? Sure, I didn't like my mage being "sunwelled" but it was a great expansion. Just so many improvements.

Cataclysm: Yeah, yeah, it's trendy to hate Cataclysm and think it's the worst thing to happen to video games ever. But I like it. Cataclysm made me want to level alts again which I previously DREADED doing. The content is fun and challenging and quite varied. It's nice to be back in Orgrimmar and not share a city with the allies. Cool new additions like guild perks and rated battlegrounds. As much as people moan about PVP, in PVE the classes are actually quite well balanced compared to just about any other MMO out there (except Subtlety Rogues). Mastery is a cool new stat that changes based on spec. Smaller talent trees is kinda weird but it seems to work fine. Overall, Cataclysm was a great modernization of WoW and the game really didn't need much else. It's just feels more polished and accessible now.

I do dislike the heavy emphasis on raiding only. I don't really have anything to do nowadays outside of raiding besides sit in Org and see what the trolls are talking about :( But I guess it was sort of similar in other expansions.

Wrath of the Lich King: Some good changes. LFD was pretty revolutionary and opened up heroics to more casual players. Dual specs introduced as well. Heroic raids finally! I have mixed feelings about the way they made old raids obsolete with being able to buy awesome gear with emblems you collected while mashing your face on your keyboard in heroics, but I think it was a good change for new players and alts to catch up. WOTLK had a few revolutionary changes that were smoothed out and tweaked for Cataclysm, but the expansion itself did feel rather lackluster. Other than Ulduar and later parts of ICC, the game just felt like... push your AOE button over and over and over... Healing was just a spamathon of your best heals. The mindless play-style of this expansion kind of held it back from being the best one ever in my opinion.

Vanilla: It was a cool game but there were better out there at the time. Crappy one-shot PVP. Grinds all over the place. Most class specs weren't even worth touching. Some classes weren't even worth touching actually. While it was an awesome start and had a lot of potential, Blizzard wasn't able to tap into that potential until the first expansion hit.

What do you all think?
What do you all think the best WOW expansion ever was (for it's time)? Second best?

I do want to say this: Try not to be too blinded by nostalgia. I know a lot of people will say Classic, and that's fine, but I somehow doubt that if WOW reverted back to the Classic a lot of them would be saying the same thing. There was a LOT going wrong for WOW that people seem to forget. But it was still a charming era in WOW so I understand.

Anyway, here's my list (best to worst expansion for its time):

Burning Crusade: Wow this expansion had it all! They introduced flying mounts, dailies, and heroic dungeons. Horde got Belfadins and Alliance got goat Shamans! Stats on gear made more sense. More class specs became playable. PVP became much more competitive (rather than in Vanilla when raiders could keyboard turn all over the map and own face). A cool into 10man raid that wasn't too hard, but just fun. The questing was far more tolerable than the old world. A COOL profession was introduced, unlike the professions of later expansions (Blizz has recently forgotten that Scribes exist and Archaeology is kind of insulting really). Rogue poisons stopped having charges in BC too didn't they? Sure, I didn't like my mage being "sunwelled" but it was a great expansion. Just so many improvements.

Cataclysm: Yeah, yeah, it's trendy to hate Cataclysm and think it's the worst thing to happen to video games ever. But I like it. Cataclysm made me want to level alts again which I previously DREADED doing. The content is fun and challenging and quite varied. It's nice to be back in Orgrimmar and not share a city with the allies. Cool new additions like guild perks and rated battlegrounds. As much as people moan about PVP, in PVE the classes are actually quite well balanced compared to just about any other MMO out there (except Subtlety Rogues). Mastery is a cool new stat that changes based on spec. Smaller talent trees is kinda weird but it seems to work fine. Overall, Cataclysm was a great modernization of WoW and the game really didn't need much else. It's just feels more polished and accessible now.

I do dislike the heavy emphasis on raiding only. I don't really have anything to do nowadays outside of raiding besides sit in Org and see what the trolls are talking about :( But I guess it was sort of similar in other expansions.

Wrath of the Lich King: Some good changes. LFD was pretty revolutionary and opened up heroics to more casual players. Dual specs introduced as well. Heroic raids finally! I have mixed feelings about the way they made old raids obsolete with being able to buy awesome gear with emblems you collected while mashing your face on your keyboard in heroics, but I think it was a good change for new players and alts to catch up. WOTLK had a few revolutionary changes that were smoothed out and tweaked for Cataclysm, but the expansion itself did feel rather lackluster. Other than Ulduar and later parts of ICC, the game just felt like... push your AOE button over and over and over... Healing was just a spamathon of your best heals. The mindless play-style of this expansion kind of held it back from being the best one ever in my opinion.

Vanilla: It was a cool game but there were better out there at the time. Crappy one-shot PVP. Grinds all over the place. Most class specs weren't even worth touching. Some classes weren't even worth touching actually. While it was an awesome start and had a lot of potential, Blizzard wasn't able to tap into that potential until the first expansion hit.

What do you all think?

BC, because Outlands is small and world pvp was all over the place and still is.."cough" hellfire "cough".
BC. The last two expansions have been very weak. Ulduar was the best thing in LK, and it was made obsolete after just a few months.
BC hands down for me.
add another BC here.
I guess BC was poppin'
BC, Wrath was a joke.
Burning Crusade, without a doubt.
I was level 46 when tbc came out so i can not really speak to end game in classic wow.
TBC>Catty>Wtlk
BC hands down best races, awsome zones, sick raids, and all around better then wrath, but wrath was sweet, and cata is too.
Burning Crusade.
Honestly, Wrath was probably the best.

Vanilla was too much of a gear grind, also you were one lucky man if you could actually make it to C'thun.

BC was too much of a rep grind, you were also one lucky man if you could actually SEE Sunwell.

WotLK didn't have any grind, really. You could still get good gear pretty fast and still were still able to see ICC.

Cataclysm...I can't really comment until later in the expantion, but for right now, none of the raids are really "PuGable". You need to be in a raiding guild to pretty much see BWD, TotFW, and BoT. I suppose a PuG can down one, maybe two bosses, but normal mode isn't suppose to be where you need a highly organized raid group to even think about beating. That's heroic mode. I'm not saying normal mode should be easy, but it shouldn't be to the point where PuGs become nonexistent beyond trash runs.