Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 25 Next
Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound". - 텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do

This has been addressed like 50 other times with the same response.

Why was a question wasted on this?

Because its the Armor and Weapons Q/A... so gtfo with your non-constructive hasslin'.
Edited by Lylirra on 4/5/11 6:45 PM (UTC) Q: Is there any chance we could have caster weapons involved in casting animations? It would look cool to be holding a staff and casting a spell through it, at least as a customization option. - Dromanthis (NA/ANZ)

A: This is something we would dearly love to do. We agree that melee specs get to see their weapons a lot more often in combat while it's easy for casters to forget about them. It's definitely on the list, but understand that we have so many races now (and two sexes for all existing races) that the animations take more time to do right/well.

This was edited:

We agree. We certainly could have worded the sentence better, or at least provided more clarity on what "expensive" meant in the context of that specific response. In this case, it referred to time invested (as Sabiras properly deduced), not simply money spent. Animations are an important element of design, but they require a lot of time and attention to do well.

I've gone ahead and made an edit to the original post to avoid further confusion, but I also wanted to call out why it was made. Thanks for the feedback, too! We really do appreciate this kind of constructive criticism, as it'll help us improve these Q&As going forward. :) #77
1 day ago

See, it had said that doing so would be expensive, without qualifying any further. It was later edited out for clarity, or to just fix the mis-spoken phrase. But it did read, it was too expensive, and later that it was changed. Those are words they should avoid, given this is a paid service.

Yet, as a newbie, and an up and coming caster, I wondered why I wasn't using either wand or staff in casting like Gandolf does in TLOTR movies. (to name one)
can someone tell me why DKs cant hold a shield for tanking?
A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

I think you guys know quite well that the community is NOT asking for dyes. We are asking for aesthetic freedom on WHAT gear we wear not the COLOR of the gear you force on us.

Interesting way to skirt the issue though.

Also, i think the Barber shop was quite a nice feature. a real step in the right direction , however it is VERY limited so of course you don't feel it has had a game breaking impact. We have all the same options we had at character creation plus another races options(though to be fair, there were a few new hair/horn styles added).

You do produce quite a bit of art, but it feels like the amount per expansion is getting less and less, and overall less and less creative.How many classes wear rocks/wood this expansion? Then of course you have, for example warrior tier helms art being recolored and used as plate DPS helms, giving DKs and Paladins access to what should be a "warrior look". another issue with Cataclysm and WotLK item art is that most of it(stuff you get while leveling) is very bland and generic. I don't FEEL like a druid. I FEEL like I fell into a dumpster full of green paint.

I agree. Armor dyes are not at all what we want. We want to actually use different models than the ones we are forced to use.

For instance, this character is on a RP server, and I want him to keep this armor as he's leveling. I don't want to recolor everything I get to try to pseudoform this set again; I want to actually keep this set. Also, it would be a lot easier than dyes; once you've built the UI, you only need to transfer the model of the item selected in the Appearance tab to the character, then transfer the stats from the items your character is actually wearing to the stats bank. Not too hard at all.
I first would like to say, its great that the devs are having these open discussions, and i hope they take in a percentage of the great ideas the community has to offer, with that said, out of everything that was discussed and answered by the devs, the armor customization seems to be the hot topic of disccusion, now i'm not too sure of the complexities, from a programming and an art point of view , of adding "dyes" to the game thereby altering the thousands of armor pieces that are already in the game, but if blizz is more concerned with how that adds to gameplay, then maybe thinking of ways to have this new feature implemented in the world is a start...i would start by maybe trying to usher in a new profession class that deals with dyes and or clothing manipulation, and make it difficult to acquire certain types of dye plans in that blizzard way of making things difficult lol, a gathering proffesion to accompany the dye profession would be herbalist, seeing as how most people run through armor almost everyday, this feature of adding dyes to your armor will certainly be used throughout WoW...i think you have a ton of armor pieces already, intruth maybe you can add more, but thats not your fault for having the same armor everyone else wants, and in turn everyone is hitting the same dungeons to acquire said armor, so this is a big task, but i honestly think that adding the armor dyes would be great...

i for one know how difficult this maybe, and could have a disastrous effect on the world, i.e colors mismatching, textures not working, etc, but i for one hope it atleast gets taken into consideration...peace
I for one would like to know if your really getting rid of the fire and such on the ground in raids and instances. Really? People can't stay out of the fire? Cmon guys its part of the game. Can't just take the graphics out like that!!!!!
I believe the answer to the question regarding customizing armor looks is a bit presumptuous.

Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that.

This part specifically. Not necessarily dumping "dyes" a la Ultima Online, but an appearance tab is what most people want, in case you didn't notice, so I can have the stats from those extremely ugly shoulders, but have other shoulders in place to attain the look I want. Or, heck, if I want to run a dungeon in what looks like nothing but overalls and a fishing hat, so be it. You're also not giving players enough credit. Yes, we want a little customization after the fact, but when it comes to armor appearance and an appearance tab, people are going to use it more than you think.

Something about your response I think needs to be worded differently.
Seriously people. Just because you personally "feel like" Blizzard has a lot of money, doesn't mean they do, or can spend it on whatever you feel like they should, if they do.

I'd be surprised if anyone saying "Blizzard has a lot of money" has actually ever been a part of running a business day to day.

14 million subscribers, 15 dollars a month. 14,000,000x15=$210,000,000 a month. Not to mention extra services such as that oh-so common Celestial Steed thing, don't forget how much money they get every time they release a new x-pac as well. Just gonna try and figure this out, even if the company has 1000 employees averaging $70,000 a year as their salary, that still leaves $2,450,000,000 (Two-Billion Four-Hundred and Fifty Million Dollars) annually. After subtracting annual server costs of a probably way over-estimated $100,000,000 dollars, they are still left with $2,350,000,000. The thing is, even if the company has 10,000 employees their profit will still be huge. Feel free to check back on my math; I wouldn't be surprised if I made a mistake.
Armor-
Armor such as shoulders have gotten out of control. They are huge and very unrealistic to the point of being absurd. I would love to see armor that is sleek and deadly. Blood Fang armor was loved for this reason. Plate armor should look like plate, Dreadnaught was fantastic. Could we see more armor along these lines.

Weapons-
How about taking that over sized shoulder designer and put him on weapons? A Two hander that looks like a two hander would be nice. The Grand Marshal's Claymore Now that was a sword. The Untamed Blade was another great sword, and probably my favorite sword of all time. It actually looks like it takes 2 hands to use.

I would like to once again feel like I'm wielding a weapon of great power. These epic weapons should once again feel epic.

Lol if you want to try and compare weapon size to real life, I suggest actually holding a sword. Swords like Grand Marshall's Claymore were very "powerful" looking but very unrealistic as they probably weighed 100 pounds -.-
04/07/2011 01:00 PMPosted by Luvstospoosh
can someone tell me why DKs cant hold a shield for tanking?

Balancing purposes and lore I'm assuming.
I'm still a fairly new player to the WoW scene, still messing around with features and classes but one thing I immediately noticed was the fact that 90% of the lvl 85 wars i saw had the same exact shoulders. I chose WoW after being an avid player of another game that I won't state here for fear that I might get booted from wow life lol but an extremely large part of that game was the "Dye Amp" a simple little item that was tiered into two forms, regular and fixed, the fixed just game the color it looked like but the random opened up a palette and then you had to work on it in order to get the color you wanted for the section of the gear piece you were dying. I know the idea could have been done better but if something similar to that were to be implemented in WoW then I think it would really help in the realm of character customization, sorry for the ridiculously long post but i'm in a computer science class that is extremely boring and i'm trying to pass time. =D
@Lukar: I agree. Also, some hairstyles look better or worse with different armor. For just one example, the big coiled braid on top of the head. It looked so cute on a dwarf wearing a plain dress that I tried it on my dwarf paladin. It looked really stupid on her, where it was surrounded by enormous plate shoulders.

To answer the question in the Q&A: yes, I think the barbershop makes things more fun. I'm so glad I'm not stuck with whatever hairstyle seemed like a good idea when I started a new character, and sometimes I change things just for fun. (I admit I can't compare fun levels directly since I wasn't playing when there was no barbershop.)

To compare it to another (infamously unimplemented) feature: I essentially never have to dance, so dance studio would be cute but I don't really miss it. I am *always* looking at my character, so hairstyle is affecting my enjoyment of the game all the time, albeit in a very small and non-gameplay-affecting way.

Customizing armor would be more like the barbershop than like the dance studio.
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Azeroth is stricken by a terrible plague that inflates the size of shoulders and belts over time. Our artists like the belts because they have more room for detail when they’re larger.

I don't mind (much) that they're so wide. But do they have to look like they're an inch thick? I'm often playing a human male. We don't need any more thickness at the waist, you know what I'm saying? :-)
Can the blades of azzinoth drop ratio be a little higer like 30-40% becuz one it is hard at lvl 70-75 to get a group to do this raid and two wen u do evryone needs either way cuz there cool so it is impossible to get and it has mad me a little mad
We have more unique art these days than ever before, but the number of items overall has grown tremendously faster.

I still think Tier 1 and 2 (after the reskin), are the most unique and eye catching sets thus far. No other pieces of gear looked even remotely similar (of course with a few exceptions).
Will sets ever be as good as these?
Does blizzard have a way to fix the bug where female on how ugly there tabards look when they sit?

For instance when I sit on my female tauren the tabard ends up sticking straight up and blocking my face with a huge spike
04/07/2011 04:33 PMPosted by Turkeh
14 million subscribers, 15 dollars a month. 14,000,000x15=$210,000,000 a month. Not to mention extra services such as that oh-so common Celestial Steed thing, don't forget how much money they get every time they release a new x-pac as well. Just gonna try and figure this out, even if the company has 1000 employees averaging $70,000 a year as their salary, that still leaves $2,450,000,000 (Two-Billion Four-Hundred and Fifty Million Dollars) annually. After subtracting annual server costs of a probably way over-estimated $100,000,000 dollars, they are still left with $2,350,000,000. The thing is, even if the company has 10,000 employees their profit will still be huge. Feel free to check back on my math; I wouldn't be surprised if I made a mistake.

Not gonna link directly, but if you're really interested, check investor.activision.com, then click on current reports and check out some of the recent accounting statements they have released. Nothing looks horribly out of place, just an average american corporation that has to make sure it's shareholders earn money too.
Just wondering, will their be any added crowd control or protection effects to warlocks? I understand that warlocks fear is very powerful, and very useful. But it would be awesome if there was a good stun or different type of crowd control like frost nova against melee characters.