Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

Death Knight
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
@ Taruun OK thanks dude it'll be a biig biiiig help for me and us dk's :)
nice guide btw :D
Why does my frost dps suck so bad compared to blood when in a group?
Happy holidays, everyone!

Elvishlegion: Assuming that Frost and Blood are of equal gear and skill levels, there are a few reasons why Blood could be doing more DPS, especially at lower gear levels. I'll quote Nachtwind from earlier in the thread:

Blood also hits incredibly hard and can do quite a bit of sustained damage at 85. The problem is that (a) Blood does this by being hit, and (b) a core component of Blood's damage is your runic power move Rune Strike, which can only be spammed in Blood Presence (your tank stance). Blood Presence has a huge amount of threat attached to it innately & Rune Strike has even more.

As DPS, the two things you really aren't supposed to do are take damage and pull aggro. And even with boss encounters where the raid is getting constantly blasted with natural damage, that second part prevents any attempt at making Blood into serious DPS.

I'll add to this that many tanks at lower levels are using a mix of DPS and tanking gear. That's fine, since low-level dungeons aren't that difficult, but it's going to inflate Blood's DPS even more.

Blackard: I'm sorry to say this, but if you're doing more DPS in Frost Presence with mastery than you are in Unholy Presence with haste, 95% of the time it's a sign that you're not following the rotation well enough. If you make mistakes with the rotation constantly, they're easier to cover up in Frost Presence/mastery than they are in Unholy Presence/haste. I'd encourage you to stay in Unholy Presence, and stack what haste you can, and keep practicing at the rotation. It is fast-paced, but you will see a DPS increase the better you become at it.
I was looking at another DK in the LFR yesterday and he had like 55 OB to almost 300 howling blast and his dps was way ahead of mine, is this doable?

spending frost runes on howling blast whenever killing machine hasn't procced?
"I was looking at another DK in the LFR yesterday and he had like 55 OB to almost 300 howling blast and his dps was way ahead of mine, is this doable?

spending frost runes on howling blast whenever killing machine hasn't procced?"

That isnt your fault. There is a new spec called masterfrost. Let me give you fair warning ITS MUCH MUCH MUCH less forgiving. Its a high end raiding spec based on stacking mastery as well as haste. In the long run with better pve gear your suppose to increase your dps by about 10k.

I wont go into the rotation but the Basic idea is that two howling blasts do more then one obliterate.
Where do I find a masterfrost guide?
elitist jerks...
http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t125291-frost_dps_winter_discontent_4_3_a/#Masterfrost
What is more important? Using KM on Obliterate and capping RP or wasting/using it on FS and then using a normal Obliterate and not capping out RP? Rare situation but still.
How much is the 2 piece tier bonus of T12 worth roughly compared to the extra stats of non-tier gear of raid finder stuff?
01/03/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Coagulant
How much is the 2 piece tier bonus of T12 worth roughly compared to the extra stats of non-tier gear of raid finder stuff?

Quite a bit, I think. You can find the dps that 2p t12 provides if you know your average Frost Strike damage. Let's pretend it's 33k.

2p t12 = 36 RP/min = 1.28 Frost Strikes/min = 0.02 Frost Strikes per second * 33k = 660 dps. I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat that with 2 pieces of gear that are only 6 ilvls higher.
01/05/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Shayy

Quite a bit, I think. You can find the dps that 2p t12 provides if you know your average Frost Strike damage. Let's pretend it's 33k.

2p t12 = 36 RP/min = 1.28 Frost Strikes/min = 0.02 Frost Strikes per second * 33k = 660 dps. I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat that with 2 pieces of gear that are only 6 ilvls higher.

YAY!! Thanks for the input :D
Pooqy: I believe the priority stays just as I've outlined it - a KM Obliterate is more important than avoiding a runic power cap.

Coagulant: It looks like Shayy beat me to answering your specific question. I will say that in general, set bonuses are fairly powerful, especially when you're talking about only a 6 ilvl difference otherwise. If you're not sure about your specific situation, a little time spent in behind a training dummy or in a simulation might make things clearer.
12/23/2011 07:36 PMPosted by Elvishlegion
Why does my frost dps suck so bad compared to blood when in a group?

First off, love the guide. Very well written. I prefer Glyph of Chains of Ice personally a major, becuase in DS you will be using it and every little bit of extra damage you do gets you over the next guy if you know what i mean.

As for this question, its most likely becuase the Blood DK is getting vengence which stacks AP. While i'm not quite sure of your gear, since you are using a 2H wep, you wont be putting near as much DPS as someone dual-wielding. You wont beat a blood DK in DPS if your fighting him with a 2H wep.
icehud provides a really nice rune shower
so is engi the best frost dk profession besides BS now?
Thank you for all your effort and expertise, I have found the post very helpful for my alt. Please keep updating.
This guide is awsome. I haven't played since vanilla wow and the changes are very differnt even though I'm not quite a new player but still kinda am this guide was very readable.