Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

Death Knight
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
A macro I like is:

#showtooltip [modifier:shift] strangulate; mind freeze
/cast [modifier:shift] strangulate; mind freeze

Gets a bit more use out of pvp than pve but it's still a nice little macro to have. You can add a [target=focus] or another modifier of that nature to change the functionality.

#showtooltip [modifier:shift] death coil; frost strike
/cast [modifier:shift] death coil; frost strike

Quite useful on fights where you have to stay away from a boss for whatever reason (Atramedes in particular).

#showtooltip outbreak
/startattack
/cast outbreak

Outbreak also doesn't start your attack so if you lead into a fight with it you might as well have this one set up too.

Great guide, appreciate all the time you put into this!
bump
04/10/2011 04:40 AMPosted by Taruun
Heartless: the macros section is in, and I've just added the camera zoom technique you mentioned. A bit about resilience as well.

/thumbs up!
#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover, exists] Strangulate; Strangulate
/cast [target=mouseover, exists] Mind Freeze; Mind Freeze

found this really helpful will cast Strangulate on your current MOUSE-OVER target, if you have no MOUSE-OVER target, it will cast on your

current SELECTED target; if Strangulate is on cooldown it will perform the SAME EXACT function using Mind Freeze
why isnt this a sticky yet o.o
how is this not stickied yet?
04/12/2011 12:22 PMPosted by Cylistan

04/12/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Kaitra

There was a blue post made a few days ago about the process of making stickies... Once "request sticky" is used, and I'm sure it's been done several times, you're supposed to "Like" the first post. What threads they decide to make stickies of depends on how many "Likes" it's received.
re addons
1;-CASTBARS
with interupts being a vital part of raiding and a must with in our dps role
found this really useful.

2 ;-DOT TRACKER
i use this with docs bedug runes. simple addon that shows a clean box
when u dont have your diseases up and disapears when u do.

3;- POWER AURAS CLASSIC
use this to track horn of winter and trinket procs
this thing really needs to be stickyed.
Thanks for the replies and well-wishes, everyone. :) As has been said, clicking the "Like" button is the best method for recommending a sticky at this point. I'd add this to the first post...but Blizzard's forums won't let me edit it, for some reason. I will fold in the other suggested macros into the list.
04/12/2011 03:15 PMPosted by Vaeku

There was a blue post made a few days ago about the process of making stickies... Once "request sticky" is used, and I'm sure it's been done several times, you're supposed to "Like" the first post. What threads they decide to make stickies of depends on how many "Likes" it's received.

^ Yes, and I think they just let the requests accrue to a certain point before acting. For instance, when they went through the DK board in March, they promoted a few threads to stickies at the same time. I don't doubt it'll get a sticky sometime soon.
When it's ready.

Army of the Dead:
On behalf of every DK who isn't a noob: please, please, please think before you use this ability. The ghouls you summon will continuously taunt anything that isn't skull level, which is absolutely everything in dungeons and heroics, and most adds in raids. Now, this can be useful - for example, if the tank is gonna die and you need only a few more seconds to kill the boss. But if the dragon is breathing fire, and the army is taunting the dragon to face in every direction, where is the fire going? Onto the entire group, instead of just on the tank like it should be. How mad will the healer be? Very mad.
Keeping all this in mind, if you do summon the army, the best time to do so is when you won't be losing any time to DPS the boss, either right before the pull or when the boss is immune to attacks anyways for whatever reason, such as a phase change. Like your other ghoul, the army will gain additional attack power, haste, and hit for its entire existence based on how much you have at the moment you began to summon it.

I'm sure it would take a lot of work/testing to do so but is it possible to determine dps breakpoints for where it's useful to army during a pull rather than at the start? It would be extremely situational due to the number of raid killing things in this tier but popping them at the start of an intensive burn phase would likely have a better impact than if used at the start of the fight provided you're above a certain attack power.

Hungering Cold: lots of situational use but my favorite is on Cho'gall to interrupt worshippers.
Thanks Taruun. I haven't even implemented all your suggestions yet, and my dps has doubled.
I'm sure it would take a lot of work/testing to do so but is it possible to determine dps breakpoints for where it's useful to army during a pull rather than at the start? It would be extremely situational due to the number of raid killing things in this tier but popping them at the start of an intensive burn phase would likely have a better impact than if used at the start of the fight provided you're above a certain attack power.

Hungering Cold: lots of situational use but my favorite is on Cho'gall to interrupt worshippers.

Basically every second you spend not attacking the boss because you're channeling AotD is a DPS loss. You only ever want to use it before the pull or on a transition when you're unable to attack the boss.

Popping them at the start of a burn phase would be a bad idea. If you must, do it before the burn phase actually starts so that you don't waste Bloodlust and otherwise miss out on attacking the boss when it's needed.

An example of when you may want to do that would be normal mode Magmaw right before he's impaled. The DPS you lose channeling AotD before the impale would be made up by the ghoul DPS on the head because of the damage boost during that burn phase. This is assuming you finish the channel before the burn actually starts.

XT's heart phase, while outdated, is another example because it involves a damage boost to attacks on the heart.
Awesome thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Basically every second you spend not attacking the boss because you're channeling AotD is a DPS loss. You only ever want to use it before the pull or on a transition when you're unable to attack the boss.

^pretty much this, what you want is 4 seconds of time you can't physically smack the boss to use it, as what you'd be doing in the meantime is more dps.

Air phases are all that come to mind outside of the start of a fight, but typically i'll only pot/pof/army as the tank runs in and picks up inital aggro. Time that right and the runes will be back up by the time your second oblit is ready to go off (4.1 is going to screw with that though <.<)
sticky this guide!