WTB Incubus. No, not the terrible band.

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
Aren't Incubi (Incubuses?), by "lore", very heterosexual in nature?
04/14/2011 04:43 PMPosted by Illythia
Aren't Incubi (Incubuses?), by "lore", very heterosexual in nature?

Actually, a succubus or incubus is one in the same. As demons, they appear as whatever the victim desires. As demons they have no sexuality per se but instead take form based on the wishes of the victim.

04/14/2011 04:22 PMPosted by Kel%!*h
I'm happy to share we actually do have plans for offering players a choice between male and female versions of all warlock demons. This is a task already in our system, though I don't have a time frame for you at the moment. Other art tasks could always take precedence, but we're committed to making this happen. :)

Other art tasks pretty well better take precedence over this. C'mon. They're demons-- for most of us, their sex just doesn't matter; if it does to you, fine, but there are many more important art issues out there.

I have to agree with this. This game has 6-year old outdated graphics all over in areas of the game that effect EVERY player and not just a single class. Model updates, reskinner gear, etc.

Just sayin'.
Long question, but short answer:

In popular culture representations of this sort of creature, the female (succubus) tempts and seduces weak-willed mortals with her smokin' hot bod. The male (incubus) skips all the temptation business and simply forces himself upon unwilling mortals.

See the difference? One is a magically-induced embarrassment situation, and the other is a real-world crime. Bringing the first one into a game is silly and generally seen as harmless, the other strikes way, way too close to the bone for a fantasy game.

And yes, we kill people all the time in this game, which is also a real-world crime. Don't ask me why that's okay and this isn't, I'm not a sociology professor, despite my fetching monocle.

This is a good point, and I'd like to refer people to the recent debacle with a certain webcomic with which I'm sure most of you are familiar. In this comic's take on RPG "heroes" and their true motivations, they apparently touched a nerve by making reference to (before it gets caught by the filter: the act of forcing oneself on another person sexually) as an "over the top" and "outrageous" crime. They did so in a way that expressed that being a victim of such is among the worst circumstances imaginable. Some of the community picked up solely on the reference rather than the overall point of the strip and took it out of context, thereby causing an uproar and lots of bad publicity for the author and artist.

Even the slight chance of that much bad PR would by itself prohibit Blizzard from making the change the OP suggested, though I am not specifically against the idea in and of itself.

In response to "we kill people all the time in this game, which is also a real-world crime. Don't ask me why that's okay and this isn't", it is because while murder (you'll notice it's not censored either) is seen as terrible, (aforementioned act of sexually forcing yourself on others), which is censored, is oftentimes seen as worse. Killing someone elicits a certain emotional response, and many people can see themselves doing so IRL if the situation warranted it (e.g. in self defense). The other act-which-shall-not-be-named elicits a different emotional response, and the vast majority of people cannot see themselves doing so IRL under any circumstances.

Also, Blizzard is an American-based game, and America has much stricter laws on sexual content than they do on violent content, to the contrary of our European cousins who suffer the opposite. (I'm honestly not sure "suffer" is the right word - it sounds kind of awesome in comparison.)
I love that Blizzard has acknowledged this! :P
But I would like to add some input, if I may.

I would highly suggest that before warlock demons get ANY kind of overhaul, the player models get a revamp first. The character models are in a serious sad state of affairs right now and they really need to be polished to the quality of the Goblins (Worgen do not even come close to the amount of animations that Goblins have).

Also, I would highly suggest that you let us be able change at will which gender we want. I don't think you should default it or anything like that but a few gold to change the gender would be perfect just like the gold component is there for changing our pet's name.

If we could get maybe... a unique class-specific flying mount/wings... along with the demon overhaul... I would love that as well :D (but that's just a reaaallly long down the road type of wish).
pretty cool to hear they'll be updating demons. I imagine a female voidwalker would be more slender with a feminine shape.. The only one that really puzzles me is felhunter.. But I can't wait to see what they come up with.
04/14/2011 04:49 PMPosted by Andriel
Should be interesting to see this when it finally happens.

Your entire post scares me.
My felguard was really a big badass dude (scary looking!) who protected his skinny BE warlock boss. At 85, he's kinda wimpy with less health than this priest here. Can the girl felguard be a big Amazonian butch type lady please? Kinda like a female dwarf lady, except taller. Much taller. Maybe like Freya's avatar in Sholabasin. k, too tall - won't fit thru doorways.

This is why WoW is playable forever - neat little changes like this makes us all happy.

04/14/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
I'm happy to share we actually do have plans for offering players a choice between male and female versions of all warlock demons. This is a task already in our system, though I don't have a time frame for you at the moment. Other art tasks could always take precedence, but we're committed to making this happen. :)

Wow, I stand corrected. Blizzard, grats for having the testicular fortitude to support your players on this. :D

Also hi Zar. Hope your technicolor skittle-vomiting skull dispenser is treating you well. I still need to find out where to get one of those. :P
At least being seduced in pvp will make more sense now!
Exciting!

Any updates to minions is welcome. It would be especially great if you could make the choice on a minion by minion basis. Looking forward to this and the possibility of an update to the character models more than anything else announced so far.
04/14/2011 04:49 PMPosted by Andriel
the ultimate victory will be using my MALE incubus to seduce sexually insecure males.

I'm leveling my warlock right now for this reason exactly.
04/14/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym

What in the world would a female voidwalker look like? The same, but pink?
As a fellow homosexual male, I must say, the Succubus is a bit irritating at times. Seriously, who'd even get seduced by that?

By the way, most people haven't heard of an incubus, so the issue Scuzz raised is fairly moot.
Wait, ALL warlock demons? So... like... female imp? Female voidwalker? Female doomguard?
04/14/2011 05:03 PMPosted by Leslii
the ultimate victory will be using my MALE incubus to seduce sexually insecure males.

Not to sound racist, but why am I having trouble picturing anything but a Blood Elf as a Incubus?