Ask the Devs - Answers #5: Achievements

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next
Make a toon on NZ and I'll ride around on mine (like I do every day). You can even /spit on me if you like, since that's what makes you happy apparently.

Then these elitist, complain that other people are riding "their" mounts. Honestly that type of thought alone should be reason enough to reinstate them and /spit in their faces

lulz

Hell yah!

EDIT: Oh and I wouldn't consider you an elitist. You have a least some valid arguments on keeping them out. I am talking about the peeps who get pissy and butt hurt when somebody else is riding their mounts and these same people are generally supporting the removal of ALL meta drakes.
I would still like to be able to toggle them off. and not with some addon. Blizz can have them running and monitoring in the back ground. I just don't want to see them. hated them when they showed up. For me I thought they are stupid. But for a lot of you they seem to be the thing to do.
Having lost Keymaster on more than one toon, I'm disappointed to see that you won't be giving us a Feat of Strength for that. I don't understand why it wasn't made a FoS in the first place, since you could easily tell who had the achieve then. And wait...probably isn't possible? You guys aren't sure? o.O

Way to take the biggest question on a lot of people's minds about achievements... and then not even answer the question. Most people would be content with Account-wide on one realm, and the answer turned into technicalities about doing Battle.net-Account-wide achievements... which no one specifically asked about.

^ this
Hi thank you for all that you have done so far to the game, my question is this. Can you level guild EXP to how many members are in your guild? I mean I'm the only person in my guild and I don't really plan on adding a whole lot of members to it just RL friends. We would love to get to level 25 but that seems like years away with the current system in place
What exactly are the Achievement points for? I still haven't figured that out. Are we going to eventually spend them for super special items.
you guys say you dont want to add things for achievement points unless its a specific achievement because people will feel obligated to do them. but what if you offered things like new mounts, pets, or just toys like those available through archy and the TCG. things that dont impact the game for any character in any way, but instead just give people something to pass time and play with for awhile, this would not really force people to do them in any way, since there would be no gain from a cool looking mount, or a new toy that launches you to the top of the map.

i would also love to see achievements play into professions more, like doing a certain something will unlock some useless potion for alchemy, or a new tinker for engineering, or a special hammer for blacksmiths that will cut all crafting times in half. especially if some of those things could ask us to go back into older content. to do the achievement.
No, they're not a currency, they're more of a indicator of the % of the current game you have done.

Though, there's only a few people in all the millions that play for 100%.

When will you start the guild realm transfers so we can advance our guilds to more populated realms so we can get more members to actually complete these achievements?
04/13/2011 09:24 AMPosted by Bashiok
PvP achievements are even trickier to design than PvE achievements because it’s harder to come up with something cool to do that doesn’t make the experience worse for everyone else. You don’t want to see the one dude who is trying to engineer capturing and losing a flag twenty times in one BG just so he can get the achievement for capturing a lot of flags. As a result, many of the PvP achievements are just for winning a lot of Arenas or BGs, which we feel already come with a lot of rewards. On that note, we are adding unique ground mounts to winning rated Battlegrounds similar to the flying mounts you get for excelling at Arenas.

The double rainbow achievement in the battle for gilneas is pretty hurtful to the rest of the team. :P
I would just like to add my two-cents about the Naxx drakes and let Blizz know that I, too, would like to see them reinstated, as would those in my guild.

For starters, I wasn't playing WoW when the window to achieve them was open. I think I was still in high school, in fact, without a penny to my name to buy the game, let alone the computer to play it.

Now that I do play, I'm an avid collector of the mounts, one away from 50 at this time. I know it seems like a horribly low number to people who have time to play every day, but I'm very proud of it. The one I've probably worked hardest for is the Red Proto-Drake, which took months of playing with my guild, having them teach me the fights, and getting each of the achievements. I'm still working on the Ulduar drakes and haven't even touched the ICC ones because getting a raid group together is a difficult thing for a guild as small as mine and no one wants to PUG it.

The drakes, to me, are a sign that a person was willing to put in the time and effort to learn a fight and down a boss in a particular way in order to receive the achievement. When you do that for an entire raid's worth of content, the mount reward is a nice way to show this off.

Yes, I understand that I have an easier time of actually killing the bosses, but it still takes time, effort, and a bit of luck/skill to do so correctly. Not to mention that you need a group as well, which can be very difficult to put together particularly for older content. (I'd LOVE to get my hands on Ashes of A'lar, but fat chance getting someone to come with).

As has been said before, those that already have their drakes have the timestamps to go with them. I just want the drakes, and I'm willing to grind to get them. Shouldn't I, and everyone else willing to put in the time, be able to?
how about pvp or pve epic drops from the bosses in the pvp bg's, and not just rated ones.
I would just like to add my two-cents about the Naxx drakes and let Blizz know that I, too, would like to see them reinstated, as would those in my guild.
The drakes, to me, are a sign that a person was willing to put in the time and effort to learn a fight and down a boss in a particular way in order to receive the achievement. When you do that for an entire raid's worth of content, the mount reward is a nice way to show this off.

Yes, I understand that I have an easier time of actually killing the bosses, but it still takes time, effort, and a bit of luck/skill to do so correctly. Not to mention that you need a group as well, which can be very difficult to put together particularly for older content. (I'd LOVE to get my hands on Ashes of A'lar, but fat chance getting someone to come with).

As has been said before, those that already have their drakes have the timestamps to go with them. I just want the drakes, and I'm willing to grind to get them. Shouldn't I, and everyone else willing to put in the time, be able to?

The Patchwerk 10man achievement requires 24k raid dps. Nowadays 24k personal dps is quite good. Not quite soloable, but that's the scale of outdated we're talking about. Heigan's Eruption does 7k damage every couple seconds, not nearly enough to kill anyone anymore even if they tried to die. You can get Malygos down to 1 hp in phase 1. The only one that might screw people up is Shocking! because the slightest touch fails it.

Zerging Sartharion is in no way comparable to the original hard mode. It's still fun, and don't think I'm trying to discourage anyone from doing it, but don't pretend it's hard. I'm glad you enjoyed getting your Red Proto-Drake, and like collecting mounts, but try to see it from the point of view of people that busted hump every week when it was new and difficult for their prizes. You weren't there, like you said. Doing it in 2011 is not at all the same. Showing off (like you said) that you and your friends beat Naxx achievements now is beyond silly.

The developers know full well that "Glory of the Raider" drakes would be trivially easy to obtain now; it's up to them if they think giving everyone one would be a good thing. Currently, the reward for 'putting in the time' to take a port to Northrend and punch 2.5 year old bosses is a big pile of achievement points, and I personally think that's perfect.

P.S. Giant old-gear bank bag for 9000 ach point reward, make it happen!
Man, gotta love these Q&A sessions, they bring out some of the most whiny and over-entitled players around ;)

Seriously though, I think things are in a pretty decent place with Achievements, a few more profession-specific ones would be nice but I can see how that stuff is hard to manage at a time they're trying to change the system on a whole.
I only leveled to 80 a few months before Cata came out, even then I was unable to experience any form of raiding until Cata as I was not part of a guild that raided or welcomed new raiders into the fold. (I've since changed and am loving the experience of revisiting old raids and content I missed)
If the issue with reinstating the Naxx Drakes is that it will cheapen the achievments of people who got them when they were current, why not edit the drake slightly, a minor tonal change and the addition of something like "reborn" or "reforged" (or whatever synonum works best for the drake in question) to the name. This would mean that people who missed out on the original run would still have a chance at getting the mount and the people who put the effort in when it was current can still have their rare mount.
Thoughts?
This is why I keep on requesting the compromise so that both sides can feel better. They wont be what both sides want, but it is the best option to end this debate forever.

Original Black/Plagued become Legendary quality

New drakes are renamed into Blighted and Onyx and are just of epic quality.

I thought about a slight reskin too, but then does that mean the original "winners" get two drakes for the price of one meta? I think that would just put us right at the beginning of the debate if that was the case so I decided against a reskin.
It looks like the Achievement Q&A session happened while my account was canceled. I am the sad. I actually had a question to ask, and I don't see it answered here. I'll go ahead and ask anyway:

Are there going to be any more mount collecting achievements? Also, can there be more mounts added that will be available to non-raiders(/gladiators)? Perhaps mounts gotten through interesting miscellaneous achievements?
I am unsure of whether anyone has raised this yet (i only have 1 min to write this and so cannot read all responses) but i am (vainly) attempting to get battle master and unfortunately, I can see one particular achievement that will be near impossible to orchestrate.

I am not sure if it is cruel to those who already have battle master to do this (they may have spent an age to get this achieve) but "we had it all along... Cough" is REALLY difficult to get in a random group and difficult in rated BGs because little others want it.

Is it at all possible that this becomes an achievement that is not required for "master of Arathi Basin" and as such, not required for "Battlemaster"?
To me Warsong and AB rep is fine. Yes it was easier pre-BC but honestly people who did BGs pre-bc pretty much got boned on everything else(giving away their gear for free, giving away their mounts for free, and now titles being back), please let them keep this one advantage.

As far as the mounts go I did like it when they were designed to be and elite mount(less than 1% of the pop gets it) even though I wouldn't get one this way. As of now the only drakes left that show you had some skill are the arena drakes and to a lesser extent the naxx drakes, don't take this away from them.