Secretly disabled WoW player (until now)

UI and Macro
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
To the op what an awesome idea, I know a couple of people that would benefit from something like this.
Thank you for sharing with us. I hope it goes well maybe someone from blizz would be willing to give you a hand or some pointers on where to go to get this started.
Geeze, people, get a grip on yourselves. You'd think the OP cured cancer or something, judging by the emotional nonsense you guys are flinging about.

There are millions of disabled/sick/injured people on the Earth. What about them? This doesn't make the OP, or you for lobbing your weepy emotional support, a special snowflake just because he happens to play WoW and get by okay. This is the most absurd attention-greedy thread I've seen in the a while. Get over yourselves. The OP is not a pinnacle of humanity by having a disability. You are not paragons of virtue by holding hands together and singing kumbaya here either.

First off...I think its great that the OP is all motivated and what not. However I agree with the quoted post. I really don't see why people feel the need to share their wall of text story with the WoW community unless they are searching for something.

With the way the forum trolls run the asylum here, you don't have to ask why disabled players don't come forward. They have to live with their disabilities every day with the general public gawking, staring, pointing, whispering, or pitying them and treating them different.

Why go out of your way to get the same treatment to a game you pay for? That and people (disabled and nondisabled alike) come here to escape RL for a while.

It's nice to know that you're not the only one out there. You can "know" something, but when you either read it or hear it on something that you enjoy doing, it takes a completely different effect.

And like it or not, it's human to want to be accepted. People came forward because of a brave teen admitting something that would normally get trolled hard for, on here.

Takes balls. Gives others with similar situations the courage to admit theirs and feel accepted.
I also am disabled. I fell 30 feet when I was 18 causing paralysis from the waist down. I am glad that you found a way to play wow that suits you and still allows you to be successful.
Uh, I think someone posted this exact thing before... 10/10
I would like to let every one know that my first article has been written. I wanted to quote as much of the original post as possible in the article, so my editor looked it over and made some changes. Sorry if you quoted me.
Great post OP I think a website is a great idea, I too am disabled I have muscular dystrophy.
04/12/2011 03:59 PMPosted by Rethélle
Depression isn't a disability. Don't compare bad moods to CP

I really hope I don't attract more trolling, but this statement really grinds my gears and I just hafta speak out.

Chronic Depression isn't a bad mood, though I''ll be the first to admit alot of people have been mis-diagnosed with it either accidently or on purpose to sell more drugs (I'll save the conspiracy theory for another thread)

For people that actually have it, it's like having a 10,000 pound boulder tied to your back from the time you drag yourself out of bed in the morning until you go to bed. Of course, no one can *see* the boulder, so they naturally assume you're lazy. I didn't even realize the metaphorical boulder was there until I first started antidepressant meds. I was hypersensitive to them for the first few days and I actually got to feel what it was like to take the boulder off for a while and helped me realize that I really did have a problem. I've achieved a nice balance now, but I still have to work to stay motivated and not spend days at a time indoors and alone.. farming herbs >.>
I admire you. I respect anyone with a disability that hinders them in some way...and the fact that they rise above obstacles to live life as "normal" as possible. You and others like you, are an inspiration to me.
04/12/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Sylvae
Depression isn't a disability. Don't compare bad moods to CP

I really hope I don't attract more trolling, but this statement really grinds my gears and I just hafta speak out.

Chronic Depression isn't a bad mood, though I''ll be the first to admit alot of people have been mis-diagnosed with it either accidently or on purpose to sell more drugs (I'll save the conspiracy theory for another thread)

For people that actually have it, it's like having a 10,000 pound boulder tied to your back from the time you drag yourself out of bed in the morning until you go to bed. Of course, no one can *see* the boulder, so they naturally assume you're lazy. I didn't even realize the metaphorical boulder was there until I first started antidepressant meds. I was hypersensitive to them for the first few days and I actually got to feel what it was like to take the boulder off for a while and helped me realize that I really did have a problem. I've achieved a nice balance now, but I still have to work to stay motivated and not spend days at a time indoors and alone.. farming herbs >.>

I've dealt with depression myself. The metaphor is very accurate. Also, I hope to write articles about depression and how WoW helps some people cope for my site.
OP, I really admire your determination. It's amazing you can still play with a disability.

I'd like to suggest you find yourself a Soft-Touch Keyboard that requires less force to push the keys down, then use a program to remap a smaller, out-of-the-way key to the modifier keys (shift, alt, control) like keypad numlock, keypad divide, and keypad asterisk. I read that you have the WoW mouse which is good but you might look up a mouse called the Razor Naga. On my healer I use that mouse and [@mouseover] macros so all I have to do is move the mouse over the bar I want then press the "1" button on my mouse to cast Nourish.
I first thought this was a complaint thread. However, I like what the content actually was (instead of what I presumed it was). Good job and keep it up.
This post is amazing, as many have said in other replys here, Walaman, you are amazing and totally strong for doing this. it takes so much will power to do something like this, and as a wow player, you know what kinda people are out there.

i myself suffer from disablaties but i do not feel the need to post them here as this isnt a "post what you suffer from" thread.

I give every one in here that has offered support and help towards walamans cause and fully support it myself, and again, give you big thumbs up for your courage in posting this.

04/12/2011 08:49 AMPosted by Gluegun
chronic depressive

Depression isn't a disability. Don't compare bad moods to CP.

As someone with cerebral palsy, I suggest you stop posting in any discussion involving mental or physical impairments. Real depression is quite debilitating. Granted, there is a world of difference between real depression and the "depression" some claim to have, that is little more than adult tantrums to get drugs. For your benefit, I will assume you have only encountered the second type. I hope you never see real depression in a loved one.
04/12/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Sylvae
Chronic Depression isn't a bad mood

LOL, and here I thought I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years! (if I remembered the quote from "Fried Green Tomatos" correctly)

Seriously though, I never considerd depression to be a disability, but now that you mention it....

Alas, 43 years ago, when I first saw a shrink for depression, about all they did was put you on Lithium carbonate, vallium, librium, compazine, stellazine, thorazine or some stuch variation on a theme... a trend started in the late 50's. Whole generations of housewives were legally tranqued into a stupor :(
Well, it has been a very long time since anyone has replied on this thread, but I want to tell everyone one last time thank you for your support!
I myself am a disabled veteran and game with a great guild that has acce[ted me. It goes to show you their are still good gamers through out WoW! I wish you the best of luck and sometime feel free to hollar if you drop down to Norgannon. Good luck and happy gaming.
As a disabled Veteran its great that you have found a good guild.