Question about Account Bound Items with Patch

Customer Support
Hi, I was reading the upcoming 4.1 patch notes and I wanted to ask about something that I read about the Account Bound Items. Will I be able to mail account bound items to different characters on different realms under the same battle.net account?.
04/25/2011 09:09 PMPosted by Lightsgrace
Will I be able to mail account bound items to different characters on different realms under the same battle.net account?.

No. Specifically the patch notes for 4.1 state:

Many "Account Bound" heirlooms are now labeled as "Battle.net Account Bound", meaning that they can also be traded or mailed to characters that are on different World of Warcraft accounts under the same Battle.net account.

This means that the items have been expanded to include any account under your Battle.net account. It is still restricted by realm. While our Developers would like to include that feature for them the technical limitations to send items cross-realm have not yet been overcome.
Oh I see, ok thank you for clearing that up for me.
They cant allow you to transfer from server-to-server. Otherwise, how will they charge you that twentyfive bucks for the server transfer you will do just to get Heirlooms on another realm??
i only wish that something described as "account bound" or "battle.net account bound" items were actually able to be used as described. hopefully blizzard's at least working on getting us this for free and sometime in the future so i can use my items how they were meant to be used, accross my entire account. if you aren't gonna do that then why dont you guys just label them "faction bound" or "server bound"?
Perhaps if you read the blue post, you might notice it says they're working on it.
04/25/2011 11:27 PMPosted by Mordrea
They cant allow you to transfer from server-to-server. Otherwise, how will they charge you that twentyfive bucks for the server transfer you will do just to get Heirlooms on another realm??

It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with limitations in the mail system. When the mail system was designed, way back in the day, they had no clue that there would ever be a need to mail to another realm.

Account bound items were, at one time, also restricted by faction. That limitation was overcome. If it was all about money, then they would've never implemented that feature, because then they wouldn't get money from faction transfers.

04/25/2011 11:31 PMPosted by Makeshiftt
i only wish that something described as "account bound" or "battle.net account bound" items were actually able to be used as described.

It is as described. You can send them to any character on your account. The ITEM does not have the limitation; the MAIL SYSTEM has the limitation. Once the limitation has been eliminated, the items will not need to be altered in any way.

Also, you can always get them to another realm. It just involves a realm transfer, at the moment.

04/25/2011 11:31 PMPosted by Makeshiftt
if you aren't gonna do that then why dont you guys just label them "faction bound" or "server bound"?

First off, they are TRYING to do it, as the Blue stated above.

Second, "faction bound" would mean that you could send it to any other player on your faction. "Server bound" would mean you could send to any other player on your realm, and also would have the limitation of NOT being able to transfer a character to another realm with the item.
Ah, the good ole' "Bind to faction/server" items. Now just "Bind to email, kinda" items. I maintain the easiest way to allow cross-realm transfer of BoA items would be to use the generated codes that you already use for collector's edition things like pets and mounts. Turn in BoA item to vendor, get code. Go to vendor on new character, insert code, quick check to make sure its the same account to prevent selling them for real money, and you're in. No mail service needed. Probably would have to scrub enchants from them in the process, but worth it.

But if you wanted to be really cool, have a "BoA Bank" that all members of the account could draw weapons, armor, and those few boa pets from. Even have a little gold that you could put in there, maybe 100g a month just to get some bags for a new toon, enough for mount training, etc.
Ah, the good ole' "Bind to faction/server" items. Now just "Bind to email, kinda" items. I maintain the easiest way to allow cross-realm transfer of BoA items would be to use the generated codes that you already use for collector's edition things like pets and mounts. Turn in BoA item to vendor, get code. Go to vendor on new character, insert code, quick check to make sure its the same account to prevent selling them for real money, and you're in. No mail service needed. Probably would have to scrub enchants from them in the process, but worth it.

But if you wanted to be really cool, have a "BoA Bank" that all members of the account could draw weapons, armor, and those few boa pets from. Even have a little gold that you could put in there, maybe 100g a month just to get some bags for a new toon, enough for mount training, etc.

I like the last paragraph. Sounds like the easiest and best route of least resistane to me :)

Both of these could be workable ideas. You'll want to post them in the General Forum to be seen by a CM or Developer.

Here is the problem. People like to provide alternatives to mailing the items. But the alternatives are still subject to the same restrictions that the mail system is. That being that the individual servers don't communicate with each other. There is no framework for it within WoW. There is nothing you can do right now to initiate something on one server that can cause an action on another. So whether it be mail, a common vendor, a account bank, etc...the platform still has to be built from the ground up to connect them in a way that can allow the transfer of items. Neither of those options are any easier or more difficult than the other.
I don't understand how you can overcome the difficulties of mailing ACROSS ACCOUNT but cant do across realm, just doesn't make much sense to me.
Couldnt they make it a free service? Maybe once a month thing, to transfer a bundle of items from a select toon to another select toon on a different server, kinda like server transfers work? The toon receiving could get the items from a blizzard account rather than their own toon. It would mean a 3rd party holding the items from transfer, but since they can give us the bought pets we have like lil'XT and things like that, Im confident that they'll find a way to get BoA's to live up to their name. Or, of course, I could just be rambling because Ive had too much coffee. Something to think about though..
Just my two cents but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Right now we have instances with people from multiple realms and you see them as their name followed by their realm, so why not have the mail system set up as a name and realm rather than just a name *shrug*. I also like the idea of a boa bank, that would be awesome.
04/25/2011 09:13 PMPosted by Vrakthris
Will I be able to mail account bound items to different characters on different realms under the same battle.net account?.

No. Specifically the patch notes for 4.1 state:

Many "Account Bound" heirlooms are now labeled as "Battle.net Account Bound", meaning that they can also be traded or mailed to characters that are on different World of Warcraft accounts under the same Battle.net account.

This means that the items have been expanded to include any account under your Battle.net account. It is still restricted by realm. While our Developers would like to include that feature for them the technical limitations to send items cross-realm have not yet been overcome.

I've tried mailing items to characters on another wow account under my battle.net account on the same server and it failed
04/26/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Xcessive
I don't understand how you can overcome the difficulties of mailing ACROSS ACCOUNT but cant do across realm, just doesn't make much sense to me.

That's only a matter of changing the way the items flag themselves. You can already mail items on your server. The system is already in place for it.

04/26/2011 02:06 PMPosted by Isisrae
Just my two cents but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Right now we have instances with people from multiple realms and you see them as their name followed by their realm, so why not have the mail system set up as a name and realm rather than just a name *shrug*. I also like the idea of a boa bank, that would be awesome.

Ok, well, it is that difficult. The servers don't communicate with each other. It's like saying it shouldn't be that difficult to send mail to Mars since you can just write "Mars" on the envelope.
04/26/2011 02:09 PMPosted by Triteia
I've tried mailing items to characters on another wow account under my battle.net account on the same server and it failed

You'll want to post this in Bug Reports.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/
yeah, bnet mailing on the same server isn't functioning, neither is direct trading