Ask The Devs #6: Guild Advancement (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16
04/27/2011 10:20 AMPosted by Kaivax
We don't think recruiting random people is healthy for a guild. Rewards are never going to be a substitute for strong social ties. We really encourage as many people as possible to seek out guilds (and we hope the new Guild Finder will help with that), but joining a guild at random will likely end in tears.

I have 3 level 25 guilds who random invite everyone. All 3 guilds are near 1000 members on Horde Kil'Jaeden. We are the most active of all the guilds due to the random invites.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Sure every once in a while you get an A-hat... But if you put a system in place to quell it, it isn't a big deal. Personally I have a derogatory rank that people get dumped into when they are being douchebags. It mutes them and takes away their ability to see gchat.

The truth is most HUGE guilds who random invite are doing great, the ones that don't fail.

NOTE:
Please speak from experience instead of from conjecture. It does nothing but disqualify a post from someone who is supposed to be an authority on the matter.
10/19/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Pallypocket
AGREED!

Holy Necro batman.

We don't think recruiting random people is healthy for a guild. Rewards are never going to be a substitute for strong social ties. We really encourage as many people as possible to seek out guilds (and we hope the new Guild Finder will help with that), but joining a guild at random will likely end in tears.

I have 3 level 25 guilds who random invite everyone. All 3 guilds are near 1000 members on Horde Kil'Jaeden. We are the most active of all the guilds due to the random invites.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Sure every once in a while you get an A-hat... But if you put a system in place to quell it, it isn't a big deal. Personally I have my "Retard" rank that people get dumped into when they are being douchebags. It mutes them and takes away their ability to see gchat.

How about you put the rank *Troublemaker* instead of *retard*, much less offensive.

the truth is most HUGE guilds who random invite are doing great, the ones that don't fail.

Like you said, please cite your sources before you put out this info.
10/19/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Quintx
I made it to be offensive for a reason. It makes people not want to be put there.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. It A VERY VERY OFFENSIVE term that needs to die.

EDIT: Not sure why I'm still posting on a necroed thread lol
10/19/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Quintx
I made it to be offensive for a reason. It makes people not want to be put there.

I agree with that and if they find it offensive no one is forcing them to stay. People are so soft nowadays. "Oh, noes, he called me dumb" "MOMMMMMM".

I agree with that and if they find it offensive no one is forcing them to stay. People are so soft nowadays. "Oh, noes, he called me dumb" "MOMMMMMM".

This isn't the place for it but using the word retard IS VERY different then calling someone *dumb*.

My 3 guilds.

You said most which would be a big portion of all level 25 guilds atm which likely is a lot. Showing your 3 isn't exactly evidence that your random invites work.

Which is why we have so many problems in our country. The latest generation of kids who have zero respect for others would have never lasted in my youth. They would have gotten a beat down, from their PARENTS.

10/19/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Aeluron
This isn't the place for it but using the word retard IS VERY different then calling someone *dumb*.

Words only mean something if you let them mean something. Stop being so sensitive and it won't matter anymore.

You said most which would be a big portion of all level 25 guilds atm which likely is a lot. Showing your 3 isn't exactly evidence that your random invites work.

Go guildless for a day and see how many invites you get. Trust me it works. I am not going to go through and list most of the guilds on my server. Sit in trade and watch for level 25 spam, if that isn't evidence enough.. then well bro.. there is no helping you.
10/19/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Quintx

Which is why we have so many problems in our country. The latest generation of kids who have zero respect for others would have never lasted in my youth. They would have gotten a beat down, from their PARENTS.

Words only mean something if you let them mean something. Stop being so sensitive and it won't matter anymore.

That's a silly notion to believe and I keep hearing this argument with the whole *Get a bigger thicker skin nonsense*. It doesn't bother me if I was called a retard but I will stand up for those that can't defend themselves because they fit in that category sadly.

That's a silly notion to believe and I keep hearing this argument with the whole *Get a bigger thicker skin nonsense*. It doesn't bother me if I was called a retard but I will stand up for those that can't defend themselves because they fit in that category sadly.

If someone is picking on someone who can't defend themselves then yes I would do exactly what you would do. I actually have a severely broken leg from doin just that and getting jumped after words. I have the scars to prove it... It was the act of what they were doing that offended me, not the words used.

You can call me retarded or dumb and I'll feel exactly the same. Nothing.

If you're going to make Guild Rep transfer, then make it only via recommendation from the previous Guild Leader. If someone joins my guild, I want to know he left willingly and without burning bridges.

Or better yet, make an option to allow Guild Leaders to deny rep transferring. If I hear you got booted from your last guild for being a D-Bag, I want you to earn that rep back.