Ask The Devs #6: Guild Advancement (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 16 Next
04/27/2011 01:11 PMPosted by Bogoran
10% extra honor means that it takes you 10 battlegrounds to get that piece of gear instead of 11. Really not a material difference.

Really? So if you got a 10% raise at work, would that not make a material difference in your quality of life? 10% is a HUGE benefit, my any calculation, and in the case of guild perks, the benefits are multifaceted. You get 10% more honor from BGs, 10% faster mount speed, 5% more justice points, 15% more resources from tradeskill farming, 20% less durability when you die, and 10% raw cash.

The additive benefit of all these perks is HUGE, and it's an absurd position to suggest otherwise. As for the suggestion that these perks only 'shorten grind time', when you take away the grind from WoW, there's not much left.
04/27/2011 01:52 PMPosted by Stark
10% extra honor means that it takes you 10 battlegrounds to get that piece of gear instead of 11. Really not a material difference.

Really? So if you got a 10% raise at work, would that not make a material difference in your quality of life? 10% is a HUGE benefit, my any calculation, and in the case of guild perks, the benefits are multifaceted. You get 10% more honor from BGs, 10% faster mount speed, 5% more justice points, 15% more resources from tradeskill farming, 20% less durability when you die, and 10% raw cash.

The additive benefit of all these perks is HUGE, and it's an absurd position to suggest otherwise. As for the suggestion that these perks only 'shorten grind time', when you take away the grind from WoW, there's not much left.

In real life, would you give up your preferred social circle for a 10% raise in salary?

I'm just annoyed that I can level a toon from 1 - 85 in the same guild and not even break neutral with them.

You gotta be doin' somethin' wrong. I'm already halfway to friendly and I've leveled this toon from 78 - 82 in this guild.
Sorry guys but that was pretty disappointing.

I have only personal experience (and countless threads in the general forums) to base this on, but I think that the new guild system has done much more damage than Blizzard is willing to admit.

Oh well. I loved my old Vanilla Guild while it lasted.

So far all the "ask the developer" threads have told me is that Blizzard feels everything is working as intended across the board (from guilds to class balance to content difficulty) and that they're happy with how it's all working.

Which is fine. It is their game after all.

But it also tells me that Blizzard just isn't interested in supporting the same range of play-styles it once did. Or, in other words, WoW just isn't the game for me any more. If "Titan" ends up having similar aspects as WoW when it comes to things like end game and guilds then they can pretty much count me out.

Murianna
85 Goblin Shaman

Q: Why isn't guild XP from quests a factor of character level, quest difficulty, and intended quest level, instead of being derived directly from XP gained? Why is guild reputation so hard to gain before level 70? It feels as though it's harder to gain reputation with your guild at the beginning and easier as you gain levels; shouldn't it be the other way around? – Atun [North America], Threshold [Europe, English], Helíana [Latin America]

A: The experience gained from a quest is directly related to all of these factors, which is why we use it as a basis to reward guild experience. Clearly this value is much smaller at lower levels and we know that this does not feel great with the current tuning. We're going to tune the XP multiplier for doing lower level quests so it doesn't feel like such a waste. Guild reputation suffers from this same multiplier issue too, and when we tune the experience the rep gain will be improved as well. Rep gain will also be much improved though in patch 4.1 with the introduction of the new guild tabards, and increased values on clearing dungeons, raids and winning arenas and battlegrounds.

I'm just annoyed that I can level a toon from 1 - 85 in the same guild and not even break neutral with them.

I mean, why can't the character that goes form 1 - 85 in the same guild be at least half way through honored by the time they hit 85, or even revered? The amount of rep awarded to low level characters is borderline absurd, it takes me 40 levels at best to get exalted with a neutral faction, yet 85 levels of loyalty are not enough for my low level alt to get a good standing with my guild?

It is also sad that making a guild form scratch with only low level players to level together provides no benefit. The guild should at least level along with the members so if they all hit 85 as a cohesive guild their efforts should be rewarded with a level 10 or 12 guild. it's like all the questing, dungeon running, farming and crafting they did on their way to 85 was pointless for themselves.

This is not true. I joined my guild at like level 70 and I'm honored. I know the low level rep gains are awful, but you can get honored by the time you hit 85.
04/27/2011 02:00 PMPosted by Bogoran
In real life, would you give up your preferred social circle for a 10% raise in salary?

In my real life, there's more than a few people who have moved to bigger cities for the better education and employment opportunities.

I like my vanity guild, but I'm missing out on a lot of perks and rewards by staying in it instead of joining a rank 25 guild, and some of those are significant.
Ask the Devs #6: Concise Version

Q: Could you help out small guilds? Everyone just joins the big ones for the perks.
A: Nah, it's fine.

Q: How about helping small guilds level faster?
A: Guild Challenges will fix it.

Q: What about guild leaders booting everyone at 25?
A: That's your problem.

Q: Guild housing? Please?
A: No. Stop asking.

Q: Daily caps for guild XP?

Q: More guild XP/rep at low levels?
A: Okay, fine.

Q: Help! My guild got hacked!
A: Write a ticket and pray.

Q: Uh, some of us don't really look at guilds the same way you do...
A: Too bad, conform.

Q: Repping up alts is a nightmare!
A: Just buy a tabard.

Q: We're a huge guild that's already hit level cap! We want more stuff!
A: Too ba... Wait, did you say you're a large guild? Absolutely! Have more stuff!

Wonderful summary. Spot on.

Cheers.

Agreed.
In response to a lot of people: I have this to say. A small guild can level just fine. My guild has less than 30 members, and we are level 17--we just happened to have been around just before Cata. The thing is this though, having been even smaller than we are now, you have to keep in mind that EVERYONE has to work towards guild cap if you want to level a small guild. If people contribute towards your guild EXP, your guild will level eventually. Just be a cool guild, and cherish the few very good dedicated and solid members that you get. You still have plenty of time before Cata ends to reach cap, and even then, cap isn't going to make a bad guild good, only a good guild better. Just enjoy your guild and the people in it, as people have done (the main reason we have guilds) since vanilla. Levels will come if people are dedicated to making your guild more awesome.

Just some thoughts from the GM of a small guild.
Ask the Devs #6: Concise Version

Q: Could you help out small guilds? Everyone just joins the big ones for the perks.

Q: How about helping small guilds level faster?
A: Guild Challenges will fix it.

Q: What about guild leaders booting everyone at 25?
A: That's your problem.

Q: Guild housing? Please?
A: No. Stop asking.

Q: Daily caps for guild XP?

Q: More guild XP/rep at low levels?
A: Okay, fine.

Q: Help! My guild got hacked!
A: Write a ticket and pray.

Q: Uh, some of us don't really look at guilds the same way you do...
A: Too bad, conform.

Q: Repping up alts is a nightmare!
A: Just buy a tabard.

Q: We're a huge guild that's already hit level cap! We want more stuff!
A: Too ba... Wait, did you say you're a large guild? Absolutely! Have more stuff!
This is so very much what I wanted to say in response to this Q&A. I bow before your superior skills in satire and linguistic tomfoolery.

And to the "official people" reading this, PAY ATTENTION. Things are NOT fine., lots of people are NOT happy, and no, it isn't just the usual malcontents either.
In response to a lot of people: I have this to say. A small guild can level just fine. My guild has less than 30 members, and we are level 17--we just happened to have been around just before Cata. The thing is this though, having been even smaller than we are now, you have to keep in mind that EVERYONE has to work towards guild cap if you want to level a small guild. If people contribute towards your guild EXP, your guild will level eventually. Just be a cool guild, and cherish the few very good dedicated and solid members that you get. You still have plenty of time before Cata ends to reach cap, and even then, cap isn't going to make a bad guild good, only a good guild better. Just enjoy your guild and the people in it, as people have done (the main reason we have guilds) since vanilla. Levels will come if people are dedicated to making your guild more awesome.

Just some thoughts from the GM of a small guild.
How much luck do you think you would have starting said "good small guild" now?

Therein lies the huge and (according to Blizzard) totally-unimportant-to-the-powers-that-be problem.
Really lame considering there were soo many better questions
there really needs to be some sort of way to change the role or powers of the GM to prevent guilds from floundering. For a GM to up and Kick ppl is sorta totalitarian and should be more of a council/democratic decision for example when you kick a player from a 5man random but instead make it a % of the accounts tied to the guild.

"Well what if there aren't that many ppl on ?"
Then the vote cannot pass !
or make it so ppl can vote when they login

I wholeheartedly agree.

I was in a level 22 guild until yesterday, its always been a fairly causal levelling guild. We had a gm that basically quit playing and after a month a random officer became GM. I was fine with this until last night he decides he wants to get some conquest points. He starts asking for an arena partner (he was barely geared for this), and when that failed he demanded that we all join his party for a rated BG, or risk being kicked from the guild.

Needless to say, one guy got kicked for not accepting party invite, one guy flat out quit, and I joined his party. Even though I didn't want to lose all my perks, I decided that being held hostage by a little man on the other side of the computer screen wasn't really for me either. So after a min I left the party and /gquit.

Needless to say I'm fairly annoyed that I lost out on my guild perks (some of which were fairly nice), just because the GM decides he wants to start pushing everyone around.