Anyone having time machine problems ?

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next

It's a shame that they haven't responded here, but I have also raised a bug: http://bit.ly/lpsQeT

I raised a bug and then they moved it to this forum. It shouldn't be in the Mac forum - it's a bug.
I did an md5 checksum before and after Launcher on a couple of files - nothing changed. So it would appear, as I originally suspected, that the Launcher is simply touching those files. It's a pain in the arse having to manually exclude those files, because that's not how I want Time Machine to work. I am happy cutting out /Library/Caches and ~/Download, because I would never want their contents. But if I have a disk failure, I definitely will want the WoW directories. If an update comes through without a fix to the launcher, I will have to manually allow Time Machine to backup those files again, then turn them off.

It's a shame that they haven't responded here, but I have also raised a bug: http://bit.ly/lpsQeT

It's not just the Launcher either. If I start the launcher and quit, it updates all the MPQ files, if I open World of Warcraft directly without the launcher (from the folder), it updates all the MPQ files but 3. That's just starting/quiting, not actually logging in. I played for 4-5 hours and the MD5's never changed, but the files are definitely getting touched on launch.
This bug was present in the 4.0 PTR client, then it went away before 4.0.3 went live. Now it's back.

I shouldn't have to cripple my backup solution to deal with this.
Thanks for that Ising. Are you a fellow kiwi too ?

Yep. I live in Wellington. My wife and I, in our 50s, are both sad addicts.

04/28/2011 05:47 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Can I get you to update your bug report threads with this link and also the link to this thread ?

Done.

Laurie
04/29/2011 02:50 AMPosted by Ising
Yep. I live in Wellington. My wife and I, in our 50s, are both sad addicts.

<--- Hamilontron

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Thanks to all here who know more than I the appropriate places to report this issue for creating a bug report.
I'll gather some data about this and pass this on to Padim and the team. I'm seeing more reports of this.
What do you call a resto druid that melees? A Combat log...
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Thanks Tony -- let us know here if you find out anything. Just knowing someone see's the issue is reassuring.
I'll gather some data about this and pass this on to Padim and the team. I'm seeing more reports of this.

Thank you.
There was a tool update today guys.

Version 2346. You'll know you have it if you go into finder and get info on the launcher app itself. Should say version 4.1.0.2346 in there. Or get info in the Launcher if you have it up.

Did it fix this issue ?

No, it did not.
I'm having the problem too, even after the tool update. And a tool update isn't sufficient anyway, because bypassing the launcher and launching the game directly still triggers the backup.
It would appear there are a lot of factors involved here.
I, too, noticed 15GB or so backups every time Time Machine ran one.
I waited until this AM, so I would see the Console log when WoW was not run. The backup file size request was still large, and it should have been small. This I would assume is for the last stuff done before shutdown yesterday.

So the backup just completed was small, what I would expect as I have not done much other than where Tech Tool Pro does its directory backup - no longer on this drive. It was 13 MB from my main drive.

I will post again on this after an hour has passed and I have launched and used WoW.
OK, it is time.
Launched WoW 10 minutes ago.
Time Machine requested 18GB (note, requesting is not the actually amount backed up)
It actually backed up 14GB!

So there appears to be something about WoW files being touched and thus getting (maybe) unnecessarily backed up.
WoW has been running, next backup just done.

This one was 6.7 MB!

So it appears that only when WoW starts does it "touch" files marking them as needing backup.
04/30/2011 07:39 AMPosted by Vorlan
So there appears to be something about WoW files being touched and thus getting (maybe) unnecessarily backed up.

There is.

As explained in this thread many times. Time machine works by looking at the modification date. Wow is changing this mod date on every file in the Data folder.

That's how it governs wheater to back a file up or not.

Ah, sorry, not arguing anything, or complaining.

Just did the empirical test.

For those who are concerned about Time Machine running out of space, it doesn't, it cleans up as necessary.

So either
1) exclude the Data folder as suggested
2) get a larger back up drive
3) ignore the issue as Time machine is working properly

I would be more concerned it Time Machine was not backing up or tossing errors.

For those who are concerned about Time Machine running out of space, it doesn't, it cleans up as necessary.

Except that it's discarding older versions of files that change often for better reasons than running /usr/bin/touch. . . .

I have more than just the computer I play WoW on backed up to this drive. An extra 100+GB of backup space is a concern. If it isn't for you, congratulations for you.

So either
1) exclude the Data folder as suggested
2) get a larger back up drive
3) ignore the issue as Time machine is working properly

Time Machine is working properly, but World of Warcraft is NOT. Why should I suck up up to 100 GB of extra "backup" space for a program isn't being changed?
Ah, but it is, even if not much. As was explained by Bluspacecow.

Any file that shows a modified date current is candidate for backing up.

A question...

I have more than just the computer I play WoW on backed up to this drive. An extra 100+GB of backup space is a concern. If it isn't for you, congratulations for you.

How are you determining the actual space being used for the backup?

05/01/2011 12:38 AMPosted by Kipluci

And you think that all I do is WoW. Certainly not.

My 1TB drive is nearly full, and time Machine does its "thinning" routinely. I went to the TB drive because my original 250 GB drive failed, so I went up to a 640 GB drive, a cost effective move. This allows a lot of free space, rather than crowding the main drive. I have always told my service customers (pre-retirement) to have a backup drive at least twice the size of their main drive if possible.

While deleting older backups, it doesn't delete files that are not in newer places that haven't been changed recently, so you don't lose anything.