Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 4 17 Next
So now noobs dont even have to know how to use google anymore. So cool!

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game

All it's doing is giving you the information that you would get from people datamining boss abilities, nothing more.
Great idea blizz, looking forward to it. I would like to see a "wishlist" function added in there as well.

Please take a look at the "passloot" addon, and how that works with atlasloot Blizz, if you could get something like that running running, that would be awesome. Being able to already know what items I want, and what I dont in advance, and auto-rolling according to a pre-made wishlist would be a time saver for sure.
Will this feature use the exact spell as an example Maloriak's Scorching Blast:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=92970

Or will it just say something along the lines of "Scorching blast will do massive fire damage in a cone in front of Maloriak"

If the former, will it supply each of the versions of the fight (10 man normal, 10 man heroic, 25 man normal, 25 man heroic)
Integrated AtlasLoot? This can only be a good thing.

Blizzard: please continue with your integration of addon functionality. However, do as much as you can to make it appear similar to (or better than) the addons that already exist. Blizzard Raid Frames is nothing like Vuhdo, Grid, or any of the others (especially not Vuhdo), so it could use a lot of improvement. However, the raid marking system (similar to whatever that banned program was that marked the floor) is actually better than the addon it's meant to replicate, so it is obviously possible for you guys to produce professional-level user interface features.

Either way, this will be a welcome change.
Some bosses gain extra abilities/mechanics in heroic modes. Will these be listed separately as "heroic only?"
yes fail becouse this game dosent make friends anymore like it use to and i miss that now if you want anything or need to earn it its right there for you to get this is not wow anymore its world of fail
Nice.

Uh does anyone think this sounds a bit like Atlas loot?
Does this really solve the inherent problem with the raids, though?

Let's take the first 3 raids in Cata. BWD, BoT, and TOFW.

Why are we here? I miss the days of "raid quests" that'd lead you to a raid and make you want to complete it.

I'll take BRC as a great example of a dungeon setup. You find it from Hyjal and get a quest that brings you there and you follow the story of Raz as he plows through the place. While this sort of thing isn't optimal for a raid set up, something similar could be accomplished.

In Vanilla, you'd get quests for AQ in Silithus which made you want to raid it. If you were new to WoW, right...would you even know that BWD or BoT existed without trade chat? There are no quests to even guide you there, and while knowing why this boss must be killed is nice...if he's so bad and mean, why not a quest for it? Item rewards are, of course, not a necessity, but you'd think - at least - the King of SW would give a quest to kill that Nefarion fellow who is hovering over SW in that mountain over there. In the mean time, kill some of his abomination experiments while you are it.

I guess, in my view, raiding is summed up excellently by Adm. Stockdale: "Who am I and why am I here?"

You're raiding because you want to progress in the game, and have fun with your guild, or maybe get epics. That's all.

If you want some kind of story, i suggest you read a thing called a "book".

Well he could get a book... or read the quests in the new zones..... they all lead up to their respective raids, even BWD
Can we have an option for the lore behind the boss/dungeon? like a second tab or something?
So scrubs will stop failing? I don't see how hard this is from just simply checking wowiki or youtube for the info...
05/02/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Seladrys
Can we have an option for the lore behind the boss/dungeon? like a second tab or something?

Yeah i remember them saying there was gonna be boss lore in this dungeon journal way back when they first hinted at it. I want that lore!

At the very least put all the lore you'd need to know in a book or in an NPC that brings up a unique interface. There is a lorekeeper in thunderbluff, well was there pre cata not sure where he went if he's not still there. But that guy could do the job no problem along with taking care of the mauradon quests he did. It would be nice to get all the info about the game in the game.
05/02/2011 09:58 AMPosted by Nethaera
You mistake this implementation as a walk-through. While you will be told the items and abilities the boss will employ, it will not tell you when, how much damage, where to stand etc. This is merely an extra in-game tool to help players get into the encounters, understand them a little better, and enjoy them. The ability to take down the boss is still soundly within player hands and abilities.

I think this is a great idea! Basically, Blizzard is copying another successful mod (Atlas) and integrating it directly into the game (as they've done with countless other successful mods). It's both a great idea and very practical. I also think this is "step 1" - of many - to help people get from "ding max level" to "actually be able to play in dungeons", which is currently a huge, huge gap.

It's always funny, too, to see people bemoan a feature designed to help others, especially when that feature is not mandatory and doesn't intrude on their gameplay at all.
05/02/2011 08:58 AMPosted by Kaivax
on a boat
Oh thank goodness. I thought boats would be off limits.

I'm on a boat.

It's always funny, too, to see people bemoan a feature designed to help others, especially when that feature is not mandatory and doesn't intrude on their gameplay at all.

I know... like the guy who complained that now "noobs won't even have to google," that in itself acknowledges that the information was already there and they aren't being fed any additional information. If anything it just saves time since people won't be tabbing out to look up crap.

But regardless of boss skills and fight mechanics it's great to have integrated atlas loot since coming from Bliz it will be 100% accurate and all inclusive. Not to mention it's one less addon to update.
05/02/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Carmelo
Let's go ahead and remove any mystery left in the game because of some whiny players who can't be bothered to figure out anything on their own.

Don't mistake Google for the ability to figure it out on your own.
So they replaced Clippy with the Journal.