Overrated bands that everyone seems to love

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Prev 1 3 4 5 21 Next
Any band that yells/screams/utters any vocal sound that isnt singing. They seem particularly common in WoW pvp videos.
Hmm...Metallica overrated?? No way!

Almost every song on their Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning albums is a masterpiece.

Even their Black album, although commercial and mainstream, was very good. Yes, the likes of "Enter Sandman" have been overplayed, but it was still a really good song.

Recent Metallica has not been good, but then nor have they been rated highly in recent times (i.e. pretty much everything from Load onwards has been panned).

Overrated Bands:

Pearl Jam
U2 - They've had a few genuinely good songs, but they've also churned out a lot of mediocre crap too.
INXS

The Doors
The Velvet Underground
Mars Volta
Iron Maiden
Tool
Dream Theater

..That's all I can think of off the top of my head as bands that are overrated (Although I'm guilty of listening to a few of them. Just because the music isn't bad, but hearing them extolled over and over and over gives me a headache.)
Iron Maiden.

They're good, yes. They're not nearly good enough to be as popular as they are. There are loads of heavy metal bands who have put out much better albums for much less recognition. It's a damn shame that a band like Iron Maiden can be so hugely successful while a band like Riot can put out album after album in relative obscurity.

you do realize record companies have the final say for the most part, which can make or break a band, which is one of the reason riot was stuck early on
05/22/2011 08:38 AMPosted by Sanctifai
you do realize record companies have the final say for the most part, which can make or break a band, which is one of the reason riot was stuck early on

Yeah, Riot had some label problems before the release of Fire Down Under, but I don't really think that's the entire reason they didn't make it. The music business is volatile, and it seems to me that often it's more luck than anything else that results in success.
justin bieber, miley cyrus, rebecca black...seriously...is "completely fail, young, and hideous" the new "THING" these days?

Remember when you had to have talent to be famous...? yea...i miss those days...

If it's so easy to become famous, why do I have no clue who the #!## you are then?
i hate black eyed peas
05/09/2011 03:59 AMPosted by Snozzberries
Beatles.

To be honest, I've listened read and looked into there lyrics. All the hype is what made them big, they're truly nothing special, mainstream media today is on par with them.

-Prepares for Flaming-
Personally I don't like bands like The Who, The Beatles, Nirvana, or Sublime, and I can't see how anyone can like that stuff, but I guess they do.

Avenged 7x, bullet for my valentine, godsmack are just terrible but all my friends love them. People don't know what metal is.
All dubstep. It all sounds the same. (Coming from a fan of hardstyle)

wa -waaa- waaa -wooow -wooow -wooow
(of course today's tweens don't really "get" the Beatles. the Beatles were meant for a generation that had nothing to do but go to church and listen to gospel music.)

Dave Mathews Band
I'm not entirely sure you can call nickleback overrated. While they get a ton of radio play time and are in a lot of commercials, every person I mention them to hates them. I like select songs of theirs like animals, how you remind be (before it got way overplayed). I'm not really sure who is driving their success, maybe white guys in their 40s who try to be hip? Moms who think they are edgy?

I do think lady gaga is overrated. Her music is catchy but people are hailing her as the next madonna which I think is way off. She will flame out in a year or two.

I also don't know how you can call Nirvana overrated and say all their stuff sounds the same- the only have two albums, don't they? They never got a chance to develop their stuff. Maybe overplayed by rock stations but not overrated.

The one band I hate that all my friends seem to like and are pretty popular on the radio and in general is The Killers. I think their music is obnoxious as hell, their singer sucks, the songs have an identity crisis between pop, rock and techno. I just hate them.

Also I like kid rock, but think he's pretty overrated. He's not a very good musician or singer (does he even play an instrument?), and his crossover to country has been dreadful imo. I like some of his songs, but I think people mostly love him because he seems real, like he could be your white trash uncle not some over processed Hollywood type.
Personally I don't like bands like The Who, The Beatles, Nirvana, or Sublime, and I can't see how anyone can like that stuff, but I guess they do.

Avenged 7x, bullet for my valentine, godsmack are just terrible but all my friends love them. People don't know what metal is.

avenged sevenfold does suck pretty bad. Just because you can play really fast doesn't mean your songs are any good. It's just noise.
05/22/2011 08:01 AMPosted by Pince
ITT: people who don't know the difference between opinion and overrated.

That's what I was going to say.

This entire thread is "I don't like this band so that means it's overrated." - Everyone is entitled to liking the music they like and have opinions about it, regardless of what you think.

"Man. All these nerds like Mozart, he's so overrated though I don't see the appeal."
hi rani