Wow Losing subs!?!

General Discussion
Already seen multiple threads pop up on the recent article that has shown up on IGN. If you haven't seen it :
http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1166958p1.html

Anyways everyone who has quit or is going to quit or is displeased with Cata are happily shoving it in Blizzards face to defend their points and claim the reason they are upset with the game is the reason why they lost subs.

I just have to say for those doing that, I'd like to point out the one quote that all using the article in their defense have failed to speak on:

While the decrease in subscribers is significant, it is worth remembering that a large portion of Blizzard's subscriber-base stems from the Chinese market which has yet to receive the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion which likely contributed to last year's milestone. Also, 11.4 million subscribers isn't exactly something to scoff at. That's more than the population of a lot of countries.

a large portion of Blizzard's subscriber-base stems from the Chinese market which has yet to receive the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion

Also, 11.4 million subscribers

Idk, come back to me when they lose millions of their subs after China has recieved Cataclysm and then I'll gladly except your argument otherwise in my honest opinion please stop acting as if this is somehow showing the end of WoW. Its more like a minor speed bump.

And while I'm at it the loss of subs are due to multiple things not just the one thing you happen to be upset with its really annoying to see all these threads of people claiming to know the reason, its worse then all those QQ'ers who claim to know how to run this game better then blizzard -_-

SMH.
I wholeheartedly agree with OP's opinions on this subject.
Finally somebody with sense.
It has already been said, the Chinese players do not effect you or I, that is still 600k people gone from our pool of players.

While 600k people is not a big deal for WoW on the whole, for the north American servers it is,
They aren't losing subs from china as that market is still fresh for blizzard.

They have stated that the numbers are back in line with pre-cata release numbers. Which means its back in line to when you had people quitting in droves because they were sick of wotlk and saw nothing interesting on the horizon with cata coming.

Subscribers are saying loud and clear that blizzard needs to fix some things in cata. They haven't listened much to the player base regarding desired changes (apperance tab has been requested since vanilla and it's STILL not implemented), but perhaps the loss of revenue will change that.

The first thing they should implement is something to help shape up the community. Just look at the forums and how many people are rediculously giddy while they post about wow losing subs. Community needs an overhaul.
down on the 12 million figure quoted in October 2010. Mike, in answering investor’s questions put the decline down to the player’s voracious consumption of the Cataclysm content, and promised to get expansions out faster. “The more experienced [our players] are, they’ve become much faster at consuming content. We need to be faster in delivering expansions to players. We’re looking at ways to speed up the development process.” Mike also noted that player numbers have “declined at a faster rate” than during the previous expansion.

Even when they do bring china on-line after a few it will drop, A trend id a trend, and with the exception of a couple of spikes (Cata) after WOTLK it has been a decline.
You are aware of the fact that yes WoW has 11.4 million subs, but only 5 million are actually in the US. If you believe that 600,000 US subs dropped you are mistaken.
I personally hope I never see the appearance tab or gear customization implemented into this game. Go try Warhammer for a little bit, look at all the people running around in fully dyed purple armor. All that does is destroy the hard work the artists put in to make the armor look the way it does. even if you're not satisfied w/ the actual looks of the armor, changing the color to all purple, or any color for that matter, won't make it any better.

The appearance tab is already in game with the equipment manager. Equip your vanity items, then save it as "fluffy bunny RP 1" and so forth and so on.
I personally hope I never see the appearance tab or gear customization implemented into this game. Go try Warhammer for a little bit, look at all the people running around in fully dyed purple armor. All that does is destroy the hard work the artists put in to make the armor look the way it does. even if you're not satisfied w/ the actual looks of the armor, changing the color to all purple, or any color for that matter, won't make it any better.

The appearance tab is already in game with the equipment manager. Equip your vanity items, then save it as "fluffy bunny RP 1" and so forth and so on.

Lol what?
05/09/2011 09:13 PMPosted by Aryathis
If you believe that 600,000 US subs dropped you are mistaken.

Ya a lot of people are claiming that it was all from the West Coast. Its fact that they lost 600,000 subs but I've yet to see stats on where exactly they lost subs from : /
They aren't losing subs from china as that market is still fresh for blizzard.

They have stated that the numbers are back in line with pre-cata release numbers. Which means its back in line to when you had people quitting in droves because they were sick of wotlk and saw nothing interesting on the horizon with cata coming.

Subscribers are saying loud and clear that blizzard needs to fix some things in cata. They haven't listened much to the player base regarding desired changes (apperance tab has been requested since vanilla and it's STILL not implemented), but perhaps the loss of revenue will change that.

The first thing they should implement is something to help shape up the community. Just look at the forums and how many people are rediculously giddy while they post about wow losing subs. Community needs an overhaul.

Actually if you read the report, their subscription revenue is UP. They also have said they want Cataclysm out in China this year.

Blizzard makes very little on subscriptions in China. So if subscription revenue is up, it sounds like that NA/Europe subs are up and subs in China are down.

And if they are going to push Cataclysm to China only a year after Wrath was released there, that also supports the theory that Wrath is not popular in China.
If you believe that 600,000 US subs dropped you are mistaken.

Ya a lot of people are claiming that it was all from the West Coast. Its fact that they lost 600,000 subs but I've yet to see stats on where exactly they lost subs from : /

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said it was from "the west", North and South America.

Hold on, I'll find the link....

Edit: He also stated the decline started before Cata released and has continued through it.

Still looking for link...
The loss of 600k subs is about on par with the loss of subs 6 months after Wrath launched as well. Definitely nothing to see here...
Didn't they just release Wotlk in china last October? So are they going to release Cata a year later?

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said it was from "the west", North and South America.

Hold on, I'll find the link....

Edit: He also stated the decline started before Cata released and has continued through it.

Still looking for link...

You do realize that subscription revenue INCREASED...

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=575495

This means that the subs lost has to be in China. Blizzard makes next to nothing on subscriptions there. So an increase in revenue means subs have to be up where Cataclysm has been released with China being the region that is causing the net loss.

A good indicator that this is true is where Morhaime says they want Cataclysm out in China THIS YEAR. Now why rush Cataclysm out in China before Wrath can be fully enjoyed unless they are not enjoying it?
Blizzard doesn't care. 11,400,000 x 15 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDKZzgli_k&feature=related

Lol what?