How to gem a frost pvp dk?

Death Knight
I asked this ealier but my thread went away so fast.

How do i want to gem as a frost for PVP. atm i have an empty prismatic, and i dont know what to put in it. also, im going to be upgrading to new gear, and i'll have to re-gem.

Thanks guys
You need spell penetration so your frost and shadow based attacks aren't resisted. This is most commonly achieved by socketing 2 blue +50 spell pen gems into blue sockets, and having a enchanter put +70 spell pen on your cloak.

Then its up to you whether you want to gem for resil at all, or just go for strength or do str/split-stat gems.
Gem for the spell pen cap, which is 195.

Everything else, gem Strength.

Why do you give advice that you don't follow yourself? You have a whole bunch of resilience gems...

Why do you give advice that you don't follow yourself? You have a whole bunch of resilience gems...

I don't recall asking for your help.

However, to humor you, I use 3x Resplendent Ember Topaz, 3x Bold Inferno Ruby, and the others are irrelevant because I need my spell pen cap and there are no strength cogwheels.

I use a DPS trinket so the resil helps.

I like my gems to match their sockets.

I am still gemming strength primarily.

Socket bonuses of using my orange gems in yellow sockets:
+10 Strength
+30 Resilience.

Therefor:

3x Resplendent Ember Topaz = +90 Resilience +70 Strength (with socket bonuses)

3x Bold Inferno Ruby = +120 Strength

+90 Resilience +70 Strength > +120 Strength when you factor in my Darkmoon Card: Hurricane in place of a PvP trinket.

I have 3144 resil with the 3x Resplendent Ember Topaz, resil suffers from a soft cap after 3100.

3 gems that give SOME resilience does not "a bunch" make. If I swapped out my 3 Bold Inferno Ruby for 3 more Resplendent Ember Topaz it would be a problem. Or if I swapped out all 6 for Mystic Amberjewel it would be a horrible choice. My gear is fine.

Are you paying for my subscription? No, did I ask for your help? No, am I telling other people to play like me? No, Gtfo.
kk thanks
Selsix's response did not "serve" that blood elf. There is no soft cap to resilience - that alone discredits his entire post. A complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics. The snobbish response with the "gtfo" was just immature, and he did not correct his original (I dare say misleading?) post to include "proper" gemming advice.

These forums, man.
There is no soft cap to resilience - that alone discredits his entire post.

Resilience scaling has been modified for linear returns, as opposed to increasing returns. Under the new formula, going from 30 resilience to 40 resilience gives players the same increase to survivability as going from 0 to 10. Resilience now scales in the same way armor and magic resistances do. A player with 32.5% damage reduction from resilience in 4.0.6 should see their damage reduction unchanged in 4.1. Those with less than 32.5% will gain slightly. Those with more will lose some damage reduction, increasingly so as their resilience climbs.

^ Taken from 4.1 patch notes.

After 32.5% there is a decrease in damage reduction. Pretty sure there's a name for that...Oh wait, there is, a SOFT CAP.

05/11/2011 12:59 AMPosted by Britneyfears
and he did not correct his original (I dare say misleading?) post to include "proper" gemming advice.

What is there to correct? Spell Pen Cap, and then gem Strength...Hm...NOPE! Nothing to see here.

05/11/2011 12:59 AMPosted by Britneyfears
The snobbish response with the "gtfo" was just immature

Oh yes, because we all love to take an insult lying down, I did not get in his face and poke at his gear in return, I did not kick him while he was down, I did not claim to have "served" him, that was other players. I did not do anything immature, I told him to leave after defending my choice in gear which was called into question.

And let's see, in one post you mocked my knowledge of game mechanics, called me a snob, called me immature, and attempted to discredited my entire post (which by the way is stating my own reasons for my gearing which I am NOT recommending to someone else), yet you call me immature? I believe the pot just called the kettle black.
Just going to point out that just about every single DK with a good-great rating (talking Gladiator level, ie far better than my own, or anyone else's in this thread) is gemming pure resil, and they are stacking 3700-4100 of it.

Also, I'd recommend that people seeking PvP advice, avoid the Blizzard forums, as they often are filled with misinformation, and some pathetic, if not outright ridiculous trolls. Arenajunkies.com is a pvp resource, akin to how Elitistjerks is for PvE-ers. The site only allows gladiators, and people with a minimum of 2400 to even post, so there is alot less crap to wade thru, to find valuable information.

Good luck on your DK.

-Dro

While i agree with you overall, this season sucks for trying to use other people for ideas. Most of those top DKs were unholy, or still are unholy. Unholy will gem differently, and those that did switch to frost might not have regemmed their gear, because they're no longer doing arenas.
Selsix's response did not "serve" that blood elf. There is no soft cap to resilience - that alone discredits his entire post. A complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics. The snobbish response with the "gtfo" was just immature, and he did not correct his original (I dare say misleading?) post to include "proper" gemming advice.

These forums, man.

Speaking of terrible gemming, nice blues in your gear bro, you should try leveling up and learning the game a little before giving a vain attempt at ripping into someone's completely correct post.

I hope you weren't gemmed like that in wrath, because I sure as hell wouldn't bring you to a raid if you were too cheap to afford the gems when they cost 20g a pop.

These forums, alright...

How do you feel about mastery?

I have been playing around with mastery regorging and some gemming. Do you find strength is overall better than mastery?

I have been playing around with mastery regorging and some gemming. Do you find strength is overall better than mastery?

I encourage your experimenting with other things, but you should save Mastery for reforging, Strength is our number one stat priority, it'll provide a much higher damage boost than mastery ever will.

Simple rules of thumb for Frost PvP:

-The Spell Pen Cap is 195, get as close as you can (through enchants and gems)
-Gem for Strength primarily
-The Hit Cap is 5% (Even with Dual Wield as NoCS adds 3%) Reforge for this first.
-Reforge the rest for Haste/Mastery (depending on your spec and play style, whichever gives you bigger numbers, run with)
-Enchant for strength, when unable, fall back onto Haste/Mastery, whichever helps you more.

Perhaps you could post some numbers you saw while gemming for Mastery along with ones you normally have from Strength?
05/11/2011 09:55 AMPosted by Frozendew

You don't gem for it.

There are two ways to gem.

Like me (Massives style, heavy resil), or like http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgall/bashel/advanced (offensive)

Everything else is wrong.
With the recent nerf to resil, its probably worth it to use some str gems. Ill probably just use the 3 Bold str rubies from Jewelcrafting.
05/11/2011 12:29 PMPosted by Shayleah

You don't gem for it.

There are two ways to gem.

Like me (Massives style, heavy resil), or like http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgall/bashel/advanced (offensive)

Everything else is wrong.

Quick question Shayleah (not poking at you, legitimate question)

You seem like the type of player who puts a lot of thought into their gear and gemming, why is it you are running with 220 spell pen? Why not swap a Stormy Ocean Sapphire for a Vivid Dream Emerald? Just haven't picked one up yet as 25 resilience is a small amount?
Too lazy to swap when I run Unholy and for mages who swap to mage armor when you can't melee them.
This thread turned out nice. Was headed to crap but full of good info, Thanks for sharing everyone.