Character/Guild/Arena Team APIs Preview

Community Platform API
Post Limit:

OAuth is something that I'm very very interested in doing, but there are a lot of details that we would have to work out and it wouldn't be done any time soon.

Fantastic! Take your time and get it right! And let me know if you need any help beta testing (or shoes)!
05/17/2011 05:05 PMPosted by Pallbearer
Fantastic! Take your time and get it right! And let me know if you need any help beta testing (or shoes)!

That's what this forum is for, giving feedback and helping test what needs to be tested. If they open it up for "beta" testing before it is ready to go live, i'm sure they'll know.
One thing that I'd really like to see included for both the Character and Guild feeds are Average Item level (equipped). Though it isn't overly difficult to sum up the item levels of each piece of gear on a player manually, it results in a rather large call depending on the guild size. Imagine 400 members x pulling each character feed to check items all just to populate a guild roster with the average ilvl info. If we could get this data in as few calls as possible it'd be excellent for developers as well as for your servers.

Ideally my layout for a roster page would be something similar to this.
Name, Level, Race, Class, Spec1, Spec2, Prof1, Prof2, iLVL, Achievement Points.
05/14/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Straton
Any idea when we'll be able to compare characters? Specifically interested in comparing achievements between toons. Thanks.

Building something specific like this isn't on our radar. What we would rather do is make sure the APIs we release allow developers who would be interested in making like this to do so.
It would seem to me that character comparison can be done client side, if you're interested in comparing gear, stats, and specs.
http://us.battle.net/api/wow/character/elune/cemone

Any time frame as to when we will be able to start to experiment with some of the initial implementation data returns?

{

reason: "Invalid application permissions."

}
05/27/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Cemone
Any time frame as to when we will be able to start to experiment with some of the initial implementation data returns?

When it is ready.
With characters being able to supply Profession recipes as an optional field, have you thought about adding Guild profession recipes as well? Also any thought about showing currencies in the character optional field?
05/27/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Delritha
With characters being able to supply Profession recipes as an optional field, have you thought about adding Guild profession recipes as well?

We've talked about it, but it something we won't likely do.

05/27/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Delritha
Also any thought about showing currencies in the character optional field?

We probably won't be doing that either.
Info of a character's hairstyle, face, skin color, etc. would be nice for easy import to machinima tools and such.
05/10/2011 07:24 PMPosted by Grotako
profession recipes

This is something I'm really interested in seeing, specifically to help locate people who have rare enchant formulas learned.

05/27/2011 11:49 PMPosted by Goldenclaw
This is something I'm really interested in seeing, specifically to help locate people who have rare enchant formulas learned.

Not me.. I'd rather not get hundreds of e-mails from total strangers asking me to make my rare enchants for them... then harassing me when I say 'No'.
/tap API

This looks like it will be nice... I will finally be able to stop running the xml through my own jsonp proxy.
I would really love to see an optional field added to characters to call /played. Probably one of those things that would either be trivial for you to add or well nigh impossible, but consider this my vote in favor of the idea!
for a fast que for your DB and website we are making when maybe we will see a character ID # then server/name
06/20/2011 11:01 PMPosted by Auuranuna
for a fast que for your DB and website we are making when maybe we will see a character ID # then server/name

Every character already has a GUID, but I don't see how using that instead of a character name would help speed anything up. Certainly the ID would be a primary key, but the limited number of sites that would make use of it in API requests and the privacy concerns (tracking name changes) likely outweigh the benefits.

Additionally, I would be willing to bet that character names are also a primary key, making this unnecessary. (Unless all characters are copied to a single database containing all realms for the API to read from.)
will think that they do copy the characters over to a one DB with all the realms for a faster que for the website and api
I know this has probably been asked 1000 times, but what is the status on the release of these APIs? I saw above where someone said,

05/27/2011 01:20 PMPosted by Straton
When it is ready.

But, lets get a bit realistic here...

Or if someone can hook a brother up with some access to test, that would be great as well :-)
my guess is sometime after 4.2 but agian we have been told "when its ready" im ok with that .. untill then im ready i have a api php suite dev'd that processes all the url's and fields that we have been told about so far...
06/23/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Bluerangyr
I know this has probably been asked 1000 times, but what is the status on the release of these APIs?

06/19/2011 09:17 PMPosted by Straton
There are a few things that need to be cleaned up before the API is available. We expect to be done with the remaining tasks within the next week or two. I'll look into releasing the API documentation as soon as possible, even if that means before the API itself is ready to let developers read over the features and data structures.

06/20/2011 07:47 AMPosted by Straton
I know, it must be frustrating. We are soo to close to releasing something that I'm pretty proud of and is leagues better than the armory XML provided currently. Stay tuned.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2580678774?page=1#11