Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
As to differentiating tracking items on the mini map. Obviously we all know gathermate/gatherer have figured out a way that works nicely. But I personally would be happy with the simple solution of color coded dots. ESPECIALLY, If I could define the colors myself!!!

Also, can we have 3 more JC dailies please :) They would use up the other 3 gems (Alicite/Hessionite/Carnelian) it would really help keep the value of the gems equal.
Will there be a way to distinguish profession nodes on the minimap for those that have two gathering professions? - Discordia (LA)

That’s a good suggestion. We recently added the ability to see your target and focus target on the minimap, but the feedback we’ve received from players is that they clutter up the map too much. Coming up with unique icons that work with only a few pixels might be challenging. We’ll give it a shot though.

That's an easy fix blizzard. You could just take the now yellow dots and make silver ones for mining nodes and brown ones for herbs. I'd say green for herbs but that's already taken by friendlies and pets.

Or just take from another game and make mines diamonds and herbs starbursts

Shapes or high contrast shades would be better for our colour blind friends. But yes, either of those suggestions are immediatey what came to mind for me as well, so there seems to be some "collective thinking" on the subject and with that, an easy path to creating something that will be intuative for the the users.
05/16/2011 09:06 AMPosted by Kaivax
We've also discussed further incentivizing fishing in pools with faster skill gain.

How about putting in pools for best in mouth fish like Deepsea Sagefish? Currently it's the greatest incentive to NOT fish in pools.

50% drop on grey items (murglesnout) which cannot be mitigated by skill, gear, or lures is a bit lame. You effectively can never reach skill cap because you'll always be catching junk.

The only reason to gain fishing skill is to fish outside of pools for ONE specific fish. So you need fishing skill only to fish for ONE type of fish? One fish with a low enough turnaround that many just don't fish at all in favor of fortune cookies. For them, the only reason fishing skill exists is for the achievement points.

Why does fishing skill matter if you're not interested in Deepsea Sagefish? Fishing skill's attractiveness is "murglesnout annoyance" vs "fortune cookie's fun and availability."
BOOK OF GLYPH MASTERY is not required anymore.
Finally.
But can you still relearn same glyphs again using the research or it will always be an unique one like using the BOOK OF GLYPH MASTERY.
In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

by far my favorite part of this whole post
Do you intentionally make some professions significantly more difficult to level than others. If so, why?

We've also discussed further incentivizing fishing in pools with faster skill gain.

I know a great way you can incentivize fishing in pools, how about making pools for all the fish, so that casters who want caster food can fish in pools instead of having to resort to open water.

This is a very big annoyance since the guild achievement requires fishing in pools, but any time i go out fishing for food i can't contribute because there's no pools available. On top of that, because were fishing in open water, its not a guaranteed chance at useful fish so it takes twice as long to get the same amount of food as say agility DPS since their fish comes from pools.

EDIT: Oh and we don't even get the chance at getting that great turtle mount either because were forced to not fish in pools.
05/16/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Cilinas
Do you intentionally make some professions significantly more difficult to level than others. If so, why?

This is the Answers thread, Questions were last week. =)

~~~

Kaivax: Thank you very much for the great answers that give us hope and gleeful anticipation for the future of our professions.

~Every Profession Maxed (k almost...5 more points for LW*)

*will be asking for an achievement at that time, yup.

05/16/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Tankeeh
In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

by far my favorite part of this whole post

you're the 2nd person to applaud blizz for being witty...but the truth of the matter is that if they had top men working on it they wouldn't have released the 2nd expansion in a row where the character leveling curve has gotten faster and faster and little or nothing has been done to realign mat requirements etc for the lower levels of the professions.

I'm a profession grinder (10 maxed profession on 5 tunes, maxed cooking on all and over 500 fishing on 3 of them) and almost never buy anything off the AH to level a profession.

I just recently leveled this toon to 85 and 525 leather working / skinning. My skinning was almost always 75 to 100 pts ahead of my leather working skill, which itself is problematic. And at each and every stage of leveling leather working I had to stop character progression and spend untold hours farming mobs 5-10 levels below me (and this toon already has the 1000 quest achievement so it's not like I skipped questing while leveling).

And there was maybe one or 2 items I crafted that were remotely useful to me between lvl 1-80 and that was despite the fact that except for heirloom shoulders and chest I didn't buy a green on the AH or otherwise twink this toon along the way.

So, a little less wit from blizz and a little more sweating the details would be appreciated.

Why? It doesn't require skill to fish from pools now so why would people fish from pools more because they are gaining something that doesn't help them fish from pools? There doesn't need to be an incentive to fish from pools, it is already there.

• No skill required

• Chance at a mount

• Target only the fish/volatiles you want

It would seem that you should be creating incentives for NOT fishing from pools. Since you can't target fish, can catch junk for lack of skill, and no chance at special items.
So, no answer to the tons of Engineering questions. Ok boys, saddle up for another expansion where Blacksmithes, Tailors, Leatherworkers, and all the other professions QQ about how Blizzard hates their profession because Blizzard does not give them anything new, besides 6-8 new plans for armor every raid content patch, while we will be getting a grand total of 3-4 new schematics for the remainder of Cataclysm, which probably is going to be more scopes that cost us more money to make then we can sell them for or vanity pets.

Will professions at some point regain the ability to make upgradable items, such as the Weaponsmiths had in the Burning Crusade? It was quite a cool concept, and wouldn't be unfair if all crafting professions would gain at least 1 of those items. - Hydramith (EU-EN), Auryon (EU-DE)

The concept of upgrading a piece of equipment is a very cool idea that we'd love to revisit, but not as a best in slot item. A crafted BIS item removes that entire slot as an interesting drop choice, and it strongly forces players into specific professions. For example, if there is a crafted best in slot weapon, you can bet a vast majority of players will feel obligated to take up blacksmithing, as was the case in the Burning Crusade. The profession perks, which are reasonably balanced, already add an incentive to take professions.

This question here kind of gives us an answer about the future of our Cogwheels and Goggles. So, if I am reading this right, we will be getting another pair of Goggles when Patch 5.0.3 comes out. I hope I am wrong and applying something for Blacksmithing to Engineering incorrectly and out of context. I am hoping we get an upgrade to our Goggles that is on par to reg Firelands itemlevel gear. Engineers do not want goggles with itemlevel 400.
Is it blizzards intentions that having 2 non gathering professions give you a noticeable advantage in pve and pvp?
Such as having JC and Engineering. The amount of stats gained is a huge advantage in both fields?
Are jewelcrafter's going to get new "epic" gems when the new tier is released..?
How the heck did they not address the group auto-disenchant issue?? It's been an issue for over a year now and we still haven't seen a single blue response. I love you Blizz, but that just sucks.
By far the best Q&A so far in terms of how you answered the questions. I like that you answered "Yes" at the start of many questions; it reinforces that good player feedback is valued and that popular ideas are being worked on or at least considered. I can't fathom how people still manage to complain about these Q&As, they are one of the best additions to the community site in a long time and something I personally look forward to every week.
Engineers of Azeroth, do not feel discouraged. The next Ask The Devs is on the Firelands. I have an Engineering question directly related to the Firelands that I know everyone is dieing to know. Only 2 hours and 45 minutes until we get another chance at getting an answer to our question. Now, go and reword you questions so they can apply to the Firelands.
I noticed, there was nothing asked about Engineering.

There was actually a lot asked about engineering. There was nothing answered about engineering.

Sure there are people here on these forums who do like archaeology and fishing and they got a lot of good replies. Then there are the engineers who got brushed off. I can't believe the cogwheels/goggles wasn't asked or rated high enough out of all the forums they pool the questions from. It's obvious some questions are intentionally not answered. Hell, for awhile on the profession forums all you would read about is engineering topics, rocket boots exploding, cogwheels being upgradeable/usable on future goggles or helms, being able to upgrade goggles etc. I saw numerous posts in the ask the devs about engineering. What is their reply... you'll get fun new pets they cost 2000g to make and you can sell for 300g.
What's the point?

This is the life of an Engineer. We ask Blizzard for something and either, we get brushed off to the side or they here our calls and give us stupid pets and scopes that put us in the red. Hell, our one major money maker back in WotLK were the ammo from ICC, which sold for very little.
Twelve questions? ... Twelve?

This is only post one, right? We're getting at least five more? ... Right?