Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 13 Next
If it's not considerably good enough to help through a lot of content including raids, a lot of players wouldn't find any purpose to it in the first place. (Same thing with any other piece of gear)

Exactly, I spent probably a good 400 mithril bars to get armorsmithing, spent probably at least 15k gold on ores, recipes, etc and they are still hedging about giving us ONE out of 16 slots that isn't pure crap in a couple weeks after spending tons of time and gold to make it.
. In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

I see what you did there >.>
BOOK OF GLYPH MASTERY!!!!! WOW!!!!

Thanks Blizz.

Cheers.

This. Thanks Blizzard, I can stop wasting my money on books now. I can wait a few months to learn the recipes I'm missing.
so blizzards idea of making enchanting more fun is giving expensive recipes to make things that do absolutely nothing but sit there next to you? you guys seriously need to get outside.what is fun about the magic lamp? i could see if it lit up deep dark areas of dungeons..someting..anything.. but it does nothing at all.

woot!look at me im having fun now!!
Will engineering ever see a viable goggle upgrade via profession? It seems since Burning Crusade that we get a helm that is good for the first tier of content... then we have to abandon them for something better. In fact the only engineer helm that could be upgraded was in Burning Crusade, however the pattern was extremely difficult if not impossible to get, as were the materials.
Fishing is not tedious....... back in my day we had to wait 45 seconds for the bobber to bounce... and we didn't even always get a fish. You kids and your fishing dailies and what not!

Salty Thiefgarn - Leveled fishing in Pre-BC and BC.
Speaking of fishing, there should be a way to target the fishing pool, instead of randomly throwing the line out. Or maybe fix where the likely-hood of your bobber landing in the pool multiple times in a row consistently increase with skill level.
Can't recall if this question being ask but for JewelCrafting, Are Blizzard planning to allow make epic Recipes like Rings,Fist weapons just besides Gems?
WTB mini-games for fps!!!! Seriously.... theres nothing to do while on an FP besides: take in the scenery, alt-tab to IE/firefox/other program on your computer, chat in guild, or study your profs
GREAT now orbs will be unbound like that wont drive the price down to about 10g each
I'm an engineer, I make things for hunters, my goggles will be useless shortly after I make them. I cant make anything worth selling. It costs me a fortune to learn to make things for hunters. I can't even make a decent warrior gun for myself. I get one epic.
My tinker abilities are cute, soemtimes useful sometimes catastrophic.

Oh I wish engineers could tinker abilties that scaled with their AP or item level, oh how I wish engineers could make a neat little helmet to attach their goggles to and upgrade their goggles.
Or maybe even give us the ability to add cog sockets to our gear Maybe a nice little cog socket on my belt? or to add some to my future 350+ helmets? At least then I wouldnt feel so cheated when my goggles become useless.

I get pets, I love my pets, my flying machine is the bestest flyign machien ever made even though it does have a crappy carburator and dies alot ( I blame the fish oil extracts in the hypervolatileturbofuel) but I digress.
tailros get multiple very nice epics for multiple specs, blacksmiths get multiple very nice epics for multiple specs, leatherworkers get multiple very nice epics for multiple specs, enchanters get tons of wonderful things to sell, in fact everything they make they can sell, alchs get wonderful flasks and the ability to choose to focus on a particular skilli n order to get multiples of good stuff, I sadly as a hard working brain storming tinker maniac get one epic item ... one..
and while it is the best pair of goggles (obviously invented by gnomes and the pattern was stolen by those nasty goblins) it seems that they will be relegated to bag trash very soon.
It hinkw ith all the knowledge that I have gathered and all the time I have spent learning the fine art of gnomish engineering I should be able to at least attach some more useful things.
If you wont give me 3 patterns for eatch spec, give me the ability to upgrade 3 pieces of my gear in a useful manner.

Well I have much more tinkering to do so I must be going and remember gnome technology is the best, goblin junk breaks down and smells bad !
05/16/2011 09:06 AMPosted by Kaivax
We recently added the ability to see your target and focus target on the minimap, but the feedback we’ve received from players is that they clutter up the map too much.

The Focus and Target icons on the minimap have saved me time and deaths more than once. Please keep them, at least as an option that can be turned on.
i was also also hoping they would at least explain why one needs to spend about twice the time farming the mats for a leatherworking recipe as they would an equivalent recipe for any other profession. The reason is epic flyers - mining and herbalism can be done much faster with them, but there is no equivalent jump in speed for skinning. Why?

Mostly because Skinning can be done on almost any beast mob. I've got a level 58 Rogue who can skin at the Wrath level with almost no effort. So you can use an epic flier to fly from mob to mob. It's probably easier then farming herb or mining
05/17/2011 08:28 AMPosted by Clarisse
We recently added the ability to see your target and focus target on the minimap, but the feedback we’ve received from players is that they clutter up the map too much.

the same players that clutter up their screens with 100 useless addons? ...don't take that feedback too seriously now.
Will there be a way to distinguish profession nodes on the minimap for those that have two gathering professions? - Discordia (LA)

That’s a good suggestion. We recently added the ability to see your target and focus target on the minimap, but the feedback we’ve received from players is that they clutter up the map too much. Coming up with unique icons that work with only a few pixels might be challenging. We’ll give it a shot though.

Offer the player neon orange (mining node) and green (herbalism node) indicators for those 2 gathering professions. Maybe turquoise-blue indicator for find fish ability.

Are there any plans to change Original and Burning Crusade profession skills so that new players can skill up their profession skills more similar pace with leveling? Low level trade skill materials on Auction House are generally expensive for new players, and new players must feel they are stuck if they should left low level zones just for profession skill up, while they want to increase both of them at same pace. - Whitewnd (KR), Гаркара (EU-RU)

Yes. Definitely. As we move forward, making sure older content has a smooth flow is a top priority. In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

lmao top men

Are there any plans to somehow change Archeology and Fishing, which have become notoriously tedious? Do you have plans to make archaeology more appealing, maybe with puzzles or something else? - Boîndal (EU-DE), Kalani (NA/ANZ), Käworu (LA)

Yes. The dailies help with fishing skill gain, and we plan to add archaeology dailies as well. We've also discussed further incentivizing fishing in pools with faster skill gain.

We would love to add a puzzle mini-game to archaeology, and may do that one day, but we can’t make any guarantees. There are some other ideas floating around for moving between archaeology sites more quickly, and we've been brainstorming for rare random events when you are digging or fishing.

Our overall goal for these professions is that it shouldn't be too difficult to max out your skill, but catching every fish and finding every artifact should be a long journey.

Rare random events while digging or fishing? Oh boy...sounds like RuneScape.