Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
iam sorry but with the fees for everythign eles we have to pay for i would much rather reroll a toon on that other server if i found peeps that i injoy palying with other than that i cant see a reason for payign more to play a game the very reason i sold my xbox not only do you have to buuy the console $400 and then the game $60 and the mothly fee to play online $20 and ohh what cant for get the update to games $20 and the head set other controlers and typeing pads its crazy not woth haveing. sorry i get a littel ranty when talking about having to pay more money to play a damn game.
First, I was like :)

And then:

I was :(

Yeah, charging for in game features is a line that WoW hasn't crossed before this announcement, and I hope it will be reconsidered. Are they going to charge us an extra $2/month to raid Firelands next?

More money grubbing. It's ridiculous that Blizzard would do this, of course as long as one person pays for it they make more money than making it free, at least in the short term... (This is F2P game behavior at it's finest)

And then:

my thoughts exactly...

Same here. Although I do like the direction this is taking. Now if I find someone I work well with in a PuG I at least have some recourse to be able to play with them again. I am not convinced I'd spend any extra money on it, but it's nice to know that Blizzard is thinking this way.

Also, can this apply to raids? If my new friend on x-server is a healer and we're really hard up for a good one can I use it then?
Highly Rated
>Premium based.

Yeah.... no, I'll pass.

And then:

Yeah, charging for in game features is a line that WoW hasn't crossed before this announcement, and I hope it will be reconsidered. Are they going to charge us an extra $2/month to raid Firelands next?
This, I get charging for the mobile services like Remote AH and stuff, but for a fully in-game feature!?
I will not be paying for this. Being charged to group with my friends cross server? No thank you.

Personally, I feel that this use of developer time could be better focused elsewhere if a premium fee is going to be attached to such a feature. No one knows how much the "premium" will cost. It could be a simple 99 cents. I feel it is just the principle of the subject.

Though I do have one question: Would I be allowed to trade with my friends, cross-server, or would standard LFD rules apply?
Same here. Although I do like the direction this is taking. Now if I find someone I work well with in a PuG I at least have some recourse to be able to play with them again. I am not convinced I'd spend any extra money on it, but it's nice to know that Blizzard is thinking this way.

Also, can this apply to raids? If my new friend on x-server is a healer and we're really hard up for a good one can I use it then?

You know, personally I'd like them to develop something like this for cross-server raiding. A guild leader could pony up an extra $5 a month to invite someone from another realm to test them out, rather than wasting the person's $15 or whatever a server transfer costs if it doesn't work out in the end.
Highly Rated
I was excited for about as long as it took to read the first half of the second paragraph. Now I couldn't care less.

You know, personally I'd like them to develop something like this for cross-server raiding. A guild leader could pony up an extra $5 a month to invite someone from another realm to test them out, rather than wasting the person's $15 or whatever a server transfer costs if it doesn't work out in the end.

25, it costs 25.
Highly Rated
05/17/2011 12:02 PMPosted by Nethaera
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

Oh, wonderful! About time they listened to us!

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.

Nevermind.

Why on earth is this going to be premium? Is it to make up for the probable but very insignificant drop in server transfers you're going to see with this being released?

If it's a one time payment, and a small one, I'll consider it. If it's recurring or costs anything more than $10, you can count me out.

Complex system or not, it's something that should have been here from the start. Remote auction-house and other features like that are great to have as little optional benefits, but I shouldn't start to see "fine-print" about how I play the game in the game. I have a large list of Real ID friends, and since the system was launched many of them, including myself, are playing different servers.

Would have been nice to get to spend some time with them again, but not at an additional cost. Maybe I'll hope that some of them end up getting it themselves.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Don't believe me? Look at the feedback that's already present in this topic, and the inevitable future responses that are going to be against having to pay for what should already exist, and be free.
Why don't they get the regional battleground queue working first before offering a 'premium' regional dungeon finders queue. Prior to 4.1, xp off players could get games with minimal delay. After, no dice. Since the expansion pack hit, Horde have had extremely buggy battleground queues.

Screw the problems that don't generate additional revenue, and impliment something that isn't on most player's radar.

Hell why don't you just buckle under and open a cash shop. I need gold and T12.

Is it August yet?
Given that this was one thing a number of us were suggesting got added to the LFD system way back when it was first being developed, it's quite sad to read this:
It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to pay for a feature where I can invite my RealID friends into a group where it's possible RNG would do this for us just by using the LFD feature anyway. Seems ridiculous to charge for what amounts to the use of a /invite feature.
Highly Rated
I'm ok with paid faction changes and race changes as those things are mostly cosmetic and I think the Blizz store items are good alternative to having those items based in the TCG. I could even understand charging to download the "mobile apps"

But I can not stress enough how strongly opposed I am to making an in-game feature pay to use. This isn't a free to play MMO where the only source of revenue is "premium services". We're already paying you by buying the games and paying a subscription fee. If there is an in-game service that costs so much money to develop that you can't provide it without additional revenue, that should be a sign it shouldn't be done.

TL;DR If I'm paying a monthly subscription fee, I should have access to every in-game feature that is available, isn't that why I pay for $15 a month?
It is amazing how Blizzard (Activision) is taking a completely page out of the Airline Industry playbook here by continuing to pile on ancillary revenue streams. For airlines we see it through change fees, seat assignment fees, bag fees, fees to use reward miles, carry on fees, etc. We now have Blizzard continuing to try to extort additional revenue out of a membership base that is already losing value in the product. While from a business perspective I have no issue with a company trying to maximize revenue streams. However, when you are suffering from a climate where you customer does not value your product as much as they use - you don't attempt to increase value by offering services that require additional fees. You add services to your base package so people feel they are getting the maximum amount of value out of it. Many feel Cataclysm delivered a bunch of false promises, less content for end game/PVP, and overall was pretty unfinished. This is not a way to calm these feelings, no matter how much of a Public Relations ("uber, epic, amazing, quality, value packed, superb, exciting new service") spin their forum PR team puts on this.

While I wish Blizzard all success, it will only be a matter of time until there is a "Southwest" that comes around and completely decimates the margins Blizzard is able to earn from their customer base.

What's that old saying about a frog and boiling water again?

It's a point well taken - that consumer expectations can be slowly changed in ways that they couldn't be suddenly.

I personally defended the concept of Blizzard's pet and mount store, because I felt they were were taking the right approach to the doubtless very strong pressure they are under to maximize the amount of income they can obtain from their playerbase. Mounts and pets don't change core gameplay in any way. Similarly, the remote auction house, race changes - these all were perks or could be replicated by simply playing the game.

But this new extra-charge (I dislike the word "premium") feature is going to be a unique service, one that replicates the core feature of doing 5 man (and maybe even raid?) content with friends of your choosing. I am quite disappointed that they've chosen to make it cost extra, and I share your concern for the future.
Blizzard you are dissapointing me with this one, and I am what people call a fanboi. Don't start going down this slippery slope now.
Wow, a lot of overreaction going on here.

This is basically no different than charging for realm transfers. If you want to play with your friends for free you have to be on the same server and faction, otherwise you'll have to pay premium. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I won't be buying it, but I'm not going to complain about Blizzard charging for it.