Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
What about all my blacksmithing keys? I don't have a lot of bag room as it is. If the key ring is going away, give us more bank room so I can free up some bag space for my keys.

Also, what about my Jump-a-Tron 4000 Key?
Will keys in the back storage count as having the key with me?

#%!!...blizz just messes stuff up all the time...rift gives free realm xfers and blizz takes away space from me that i already dont have to give up...bye blizz,nice knowin ya
Please tell us you will give us appropriate Feats of Strength for those keys of ours you plan to remove, which we had to earn via long, arduous quest chains.

(And allow me to point out that you FORGOT to do this with those keys of ours you removed with Cataclysm, the Shattering, and Patch 4.1! Bad form. >:-/ We are NOT amused!)
If I wanted to sell old keys that are no longer needed, I would have...um...sold them.

I like keeping keys that I worked for. Reminds me of better times, and of the effort it took to get some of them.
hrmm.. I have 17 keys, and only one will be getting removed I assume (Gordok Shackle Key).

IF they change it where BC heroics don't require keys anymore, fine, I'll live. If they still require keys, this is a stupid change. Luckily I'm not swimming in keys anymore for blacksmithing, my jump-a-tron 4000 key will sit in my bank (unless it's considered a quest item.)

Now... if they either implemented keys to go to the character sheet like the outfitter and titles, that would be wonderful.

If they decided that they wanted to be awesome, and change the keyring to a TABARD HOLDER, or add a tabard holder to the character sheet. THAT WOULD BE THE GREATEST THING BLIZZ HAS EVER DONE.
Algalon: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Malygos: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Violet Hold: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
The Master's Key: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
BC Heroic keys: Keys are no longer required to access the heroic versions of TBC dungeons.

Do you have a source for this information?

The source is me. I have several new toons that have not gotten keys that get in & out of previously locked doors with no problems. VH & BRD are probably the easiest to verify on your own. And it's in a patch note somewhere since 4.01

@Flexmetallo: thanks, was surprised how many replies we saw with no one pointing this out.
Aw, this is not a nice idea at all. We are (most of us, anyway) screaming for more bag/bank space, and you are doing something that is ultimately taking some away from us?

I'm not very enthused with this change. :(
Wait, so if I get this right you are removing the keyring which was designed to hold nothing but keys to free up bag space and then putting all those keys back into our bags to take up bag space. Why? Isn't that kinda counter intuitive?

I don't think anyone had a problem with the current set up but yet you are "fixing" the unbroken feature by making it an annoying hassle. You know at this point I am convinced half of the employees of Blizzard Entertainment actually go out of their ways to "hotfix" things that were fine to began with by making them worse. It's like you people thrive on change even if it is not for the better.
While I admit there are some keys I have kept for nostalgia (my Essence-Infused Moonstone, for example), I raid lead and thus have two Focusing Iris keys and two Algalon keys. Are Algalon and Malygos going to not need keys anymore, or am I just being robbed of four bag spaces?
05/23/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Raimera
Wait, so if I get this right you are removing the keyring which was designed to hold nothing but keys to free up bag space and then putting all those keys back into our bags to take up bag space. Why? Isn't that kinda counter intuitive?

We don't use the keys anymore. Blizzard has removed their functionality. When they get rid of the keyring, you'll get the vendor price for the keys that will magically disappear when your keyring does.
05/23/2011 10:45 AMPosted by Psynister
The source is me.

Regarding:
05/23/2011 10:45 AMPosted by Psynister
BC Heroic keys: Keys are no longer required to access the heroic versions of TBC dungeons.

Not true, I am currently working on Outland Dungeonmaster, and I cannot queue up for/enter any heroic that I do not have a key for.
05/23/2011 10:47 AMPosted by Ormula
Are Algalon and Malygos going to not need keys anymore, or am I just being robbed of four bag spaces?
They already don't
05/23/2011 10:47 AMPosted by Psynister

We don't use the keys anymore. Blizzard has removed their functionality. When they get rid of the keyring, you'll get the vendor price for the keys that will magically disappear when your keyring does.

Not all of them some will still have use and guess what? You are gonna need some 26 slot bags it looks like.
Maybe they'll give garment back or tabbard bag or increase backpack size. Stop freaking out over stuff that you don't use anymore.
05/23/2011 09:52 AMPosted by Bashiok
Back when the largest bag was a mind bottling 18 slots --

That would be boggling, "mind boggling 18 slots."
The source is me.

Regarding:

Not true, I am currently working on Outland Dungeonmaster, and I cannot queue up for/enter any heroic that I do not have a key for.

In before the question, yes the crow tastes fine. I have faith that the requirement for the keys to enter BC 5 man heroic modes will be removed prior to the keyring disappearing. But yes, they are still required to enter then currently. They already have been removing key requirements, as have been verified, TK 5 mans, Shadow Labs normal, Shattered Halls normal, Violet Hold, Black Rock Depths locked gates.

Just to reiterate, there's no need to "chicken little" this change. The point to getting rid of the ring was to get rid of the keys. Either way, you won't have a ton of keys dumped in your normal bags when the keyring is gone.
05/23/2011 10:08 AMPosted by Trilha
We still have a number of keys that serve a purpose. Heroic BC, for example. Karazhan. We still want to be able to access that content, so will key requirements be removed from those?

Key requirements are removed from the examples you gave, and should be for all other similar examples. Our intent is not to remove the Keyring and then throw a bunch of keys into your normal bags, so we're going through and making changes to more or less finalize the move away from using keys that began midway through Burning Crusade.

However, you've offered no insight. just at the moment, an empty statement. What needs to change to start to create a more positive lookout from your community is Something like this:

"We are announcing a change to our beloved keyring bag in the coming patch. While the keyring has served it purpose in the past, we now have heard from you that there are other items that are of more importance to seperate storage then keys. So we have changed the keyring to include to the storage of Tabards as well. The "bag" will no longer simply function as a regular bag, but have more of a similar interface to the Archeology tab you see in-game currently."

^ See... this provides a positive approach to a removal of an item from the game. It shows your listening to the customer base by fulfilling a much needed request, and it shows your actually developing in-game improvements to increase customer experience... not just finding ways to nickel and dime us.

We definitely like the idea of tabard management. We continue to like what they bring to the game, but they're obviously a big inventory management issue. If we had such an announcement to make, though, we would have. We're not going to hold off on removing an antiquated system just because we don't have a new inventory management system.

Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with? I'd like to think that these changes can be seen with a bit more foresight than the impact of only this immediate minute.
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Elivana
Back when the largest bag was a mind bottling 18 slots --

That would be boggling, "mind boggling 18 slots."

No, you know, like when your mind is in a bottle.