Raid Updates for 4.2

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
Is it still "experiencing the content" when you can ignore half the mechanics and there's no chance of failure?
IMO, this should have been done in 4.1. My guild didn't really have a tough time working through Nefarion, but we still continue to wipe on Cho'gall. The design of that fight was just idiotic for 10-man groups. It managed to make me HATE this expansion and HATE raiding after almost 5 years of play.

LOL! I've pugged Cho'gall at least 5 times but I still haven't downed nef. How can your guild down nef but not Cho'gall? Cho'gall is cake.
Neth,

Your post indicates these changes apply to normal mode only. However, while the patch notes flag several of the tuning changes as normal mode, others are not flagged at all. Are the ones that don't specifically say normal mode going to apply to both difficulties, or are the patch notes just less up to date than your forum post/poorly worded?

I've pasted a section of the patch notes to illustrate what I mean.

Bastion of Twilight

The damage modifier on Normal has been reduced for Arion, Elementium Monstrosity, Feludius, Ignacius, and Terrastra.

Removed one of each type of Bound elemental from the Ascendant Council chamber.
Arion

Chain Lightning damage has been reduced.

Cho’gall

Health, melee damage, Health of Corrupting Adherent, Depravity damage, Corrupting Crash damage, Flaming Destruction damage, and Unleashed Shadows damage has all been reduced by 20%.

05/24/2011 09:34 AMPosted by Fraudir
At least I got to experience the intended difficulty.

Indeed, it will be nice to farm through these at a faster rate to help out the guildies whose gear NEVER seems to drop
I guess there's no point in continuing normal modes, then... And I assume this will happen to Firelands as well, - once War of the Ancients comes out? And will they all be nerfed by another 20% once that happens? So basically by the time Deathwing comes out, all other raids will be dumbed down to a point that anyone can do. Even if you preserve heroic modes, its not like they matter much when there's another tier of raiding.

The nerfs are too severe, even if some are needed for 10 man's (nefarian, cho'gall, al'akir.) 20-40% shaved off of certain mechanics completely negates their purpose, which is to be dangerous and life-threatening.
What about nerfing the heroic 5-mans? ...talking about Zul ones specifically ...i tend to have more problems there than in raids. Specially when morons blame the healer for getting pwnd for stuff THEY should be killing. >_<
BC heroics weren't that bad. I actually consider them to be of similar difficulty to current heroics, only with fewer one-shot mechanics back then (I can think of three bosses back then that would oneshot you if you made a mistake...there's more than three that will do that in cataclysm). I never felt like BC heroics were too difficult. But in any case, the part I enjoyed was that karazan started off on par with heroics (I personally think huntsman, moroes, maiden, and most of the opera events were easier than some of the heroics...only scaled up for 10 players).

That's what I miss. Back then, I could say, "hey, if these guildies can do these heroics, they will have no problem doing the first few bosses in kara". And that held true. Other than teaching the mechanics, the difficulty level was quite comparable. Then, after doing those bosses, the curator was just a small increment in difficulty..and so it went (with the exception of the chess event) everything slowly got more difficult.

The situation I have now is that everyone can do the current heroics which have a similar difficulty to BC heroics (with the added difficulty of having less forgiving room for error due to one-shot mechanics). So based on that, you would think "great, we will have no problem doing raiding...it will just be a matter of learning the fights!". Yet for some reason, the bosses were just a brick wall for these same people that had no trouble with BC heroics, light BC raiding, wrath heroics, wrath raiding, cata heroics.

It could simply be the style of challenges that has changed. I do know that what might challenge a hard core raider, might also be something I find completely trivial, a hard core raider might find it is beyond their ability. Some people might be better at having fast reflexes and aiming. Some might be better at multi-tasking. So I will be the first to admit, it could just be that the challege has changed to something that I am not as good at.
05/24/2011 09:12 AMPosted by Nethaera
With the addition of a new tier of armor and weapons, we want to make the previous tier more accessible in ways other than just a shift of currency type, so we are making item level 359 gear purchasable for Justice points in the upcoming content patch.

Does this mean Tier 11 shoulder and helm pieces will be purchaseable with JP?

I am having trouble finding a solid answer to this question.
This made TotalBiscuit unsubscribe for a while.

GG Blizzard, GG

Hell, even I might unsubscribe. I've been playing since TBC and haven't unsub'd ONCE!
What if Firelands had a Flame Leviathan to allow all the Donalds to get relevant loot? That sounds like a fair compromise. As far as I'm concerned, there's not a problem in this game that can't be solved by making everything more like Ulduar.
05/24/2011 12:40 PMPosted by Kyralyn
With the addition of a new tier of armor and weapons, we want to make the previous tier more accessible in ways other than just a shift of currency type, so we are making item level 359 gear purchasable for Justice points in the upcoming content patch.

Of course not. The bosses they drop from are being nerfed. You should be able to easily get your helm and shoulder tokens.

The best answer ( guess ) that you will find on this, is that they "just" moved the shoulders and helm to Alakir with 4.1...so it would seem odd that they would move them again.
Blizzard, you have failed on every level.

First, you try to give players who can't do heroics tips on how to do them, then when all the newbies can't keep that up you decrease difficulty a little bit more. Not to badly though, still enough of the newbies complain that they can't raid because it's to difficult? So you go and decrease difficulty and give EPIC hand-outs for Justice Points?

Can't you people just leave instances and mechanics for getting gear the same way THROUGHOUT ONE EXPANSION!? The raids are already perfect the way they are. I'm trying to pull a guild through progression with full difficulty and this stuff happens? I want to progress the way everyone else did through these raids, not go in there and blast everything in sight like I've done it a hundred times before the first time. Leave the damn instances the way they are.

You are angering a lot of players that have been loyal to you for years upon years and spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars to get our entertainment. How about you reduce your monthly price if you're going to reduce the difficulty of the game right?

I climbed a small hill to be decked out in 372 gear. The only thing that matters to me is tier 12 Firelands gear being just as inaccessible to people who can't equip themselves this tier. ;) Those people will never be able to equip themselves with the legendary.

Lol. Boy you'll be pissed in 6 months or a year when they nerf the hell out of firelands so people get their legendary. Its gonna happen so start bawling now, it'll save you some tears later.
05/24/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Nexumus
Not that I don't mind (I think it's a great change to make content more accessible), but wasn't there a blog post a while back about how one of the developers said that even though they knew raiding numbers were down a lot, that they were completely fine with that?

Im guessing the developers were fine with it, but the investors werent.