Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 26 Next
yay another question set where all the answers are auto responses wtg blizz
06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
A: Bears are getting a significant mitigation buff in 4.2 and we’re retuning their damage such that it’s a little easier to hold aggro at low gear levels, and a little harder at higher gear levels. While we definitely don’t expect the community to ever agree on anything, we’ve seen little evidence of a widespread concurrence that druids are “the weakest tank.” There are plenty of druid tanks out there, handling everything from Grim Batol to Sinestra. Tank balance overall is in a really good place. Players may focus on potential problems that could arise in the future but we also have ample time to address those problems should they occur. Gone are the days when we would just release a class into the wild and refuse to touch it again until the next expansion.

"You are, The Weakest Tank. Goodbye!"
I was hoping to find something interesting and useful to read. All I found was a bunch of silly information that doesn't help tanks learn anything about what the Devs think about how tanking currently is. I am so happy i just wasted time reading this nonsense.
I'm interested in seeing any possible blue response on this pathetic excuse for a Q&A.

They never show up after a community enrage. They want feedback but they don't feedback us about our Q&A answers issues.
WTF is this BS thank god I play arms as main spec now least I get to get raggy's hammer next patch I'm sure I'll go nuts after I see the answers to the dps questions but w/e
06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
A: Bears are getting a significant mitigation buff in 4.2 and we’re retuning their damage such that it’s a little easier to hold aggro at low gear levels, and a little harder at higher gear levels. While we definitely don’t expect the community to ever agree on anything, we’ve seen little evidence of a widespread concurrence that druids are “the weakest tank.” There are plenty of druid tanks out there, handling everything from Grim Batol to Sinestra. Tank balance overall is in a really good place. Players may focus on potential problems that could arise in the future but we also have ample time to address those problems should they occur. Gone are the days when we would just release a class into the wild and refuse to touch it again until the next expansion.

How is this even considered a qualified response to the question posed? The only point in the question that was even remotely touched upon was the bit about "the weakest tank", which you subjectively dismissed as not being an issue in a rather casual manner. And your reasoning on this point is severely flawed because just because druids are tanking Sinestra, that doesn't say anything one way or the other when the claim you are trying to refute is that other tanks can do it better than druids.

I give this troll 1/10 just for proving that blues can troll the forums too.

Ok so lets get the obvious out of the way. Blizzard doesn't read the replies to their Q&A. If they did they would've started being straight forward with their answers after the first thread. It's also obvious that blizz only answeres questions that newbies who still count on mommy and daddy to pay their subscriptions would ask. They honestly don't need an adult fanbase anymore because of that reason. That's why I guarantee Blizz that once SWTOR drops you will lose a majority of your adult fanbase easily. All but maybe 1 or 2 questions you answered I could've read in past patch notes or would've already know since i've been playing since BC. On a side note, QQing about Blizz failing continually to give us direct and RELEVANT feedback is pointless. They're making their money. I feel like i'm voting in Florida during a presidential election with the way these questions are selected. Are you seriously adding a question about a tanking legendary??? How about you just add a legendary of each type. Something like you did with Quelthalas (or however you spell it) from LK. Once I go to turn it in I can choose the type of weapon I want, I can only get one per toon, and I can't change it once I get it (or if I could change it, it would cost an arm and a leg). Oh and tell all your GMs to stop making rogues and warlocks when they play and actually play some classes that matter. You added "Call of Arms" thinking it would inspire more people to tank and heal. Yeah we still have the same problems. *Hint*Hint* one of your next Q&As should be about random dungeons....wait...more people would tank if you fixed the problems or at least acknowlege the issues and give us hope for the future. WoW won't last forever. Here soon it's going to hit EQ status. But that's games in general. Unless you can make WoW virtual reality (like .hack//sign for instance) expect more of your numbers to drop. But we'll see if they decide to pull their heads out of their you know whats.
06/08/2011 03:12 PMPosted by Alyxx
WTF is this BS thank god I play arms as main spec now least I get to get raggy's hammer next patch I'm sure I'll go nuts after I see the answers to the dps questions but w/e

Just wait till the fail to answer questions about melee dps and how we can compare to casters. I can't wait to see that answer *rolls eyes*
Welp back to leveling up my pally. Cya Mr DK.
I'm sorry, but I for one find this ask the dev border-line insulting. Absolutely nothing of substance, whatsoever. No insight at all into the future of tanking. And a steadfast belief that they are "doin' it right" in how all the classes tank. I'm sorry - but I definitely disagree with the core themes of this Ask the Devs.
Wow, the only response I can think of is....

I am disappoint.
This is as good a place as any to be reminded that the devs do not choose the questions answered. We've done nine rounds of these, and used the same method to gather and compile the questions every time.

In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners). I then take all of the different lists of questions from each region and combine them. Since our goal is to get as many questions answered as possible, when I'm compiling the final list of questions for the devs, I try to find where the #7 most upvoted question from North America is very similar to the #1 question from Russia and nearly identical to the #8 question from Taiwan. There are several of those every round, and they become highly valuable questions in a list of already-highly-valuable questions.

I also make sure that the list of questions going to the devs at least has numerous questions from each region. Because some questions can be combined, I often get to send the devs at least the top 3-5 questions from every region, and often the top 6-9 questions from most regions. In this round, that process resulted in 16 questions for the devs, but comprised 26 of the highest-voted questions across all the regions.

The devs answered all 16 questions that they were sent.

Would I have liked to send the devs 20 questions? Perhaps 120 questions? Of course. But I have to pick a reasonable place to end the list when I compile it. That cut-off usually presents itself, and as the compilation grows to 11, then 12, then 13 questions, there is a big dropoff in upvotes. With most rounds of Ask the Devs, that happens at around 12 combined questions. This round, it was 16 questions.

I rather like this process, because ultimately, the decisions that really matter (what to ask, how to ask it, how important it is) are left to the players upfront. The single most upvoted question in the world this round was this one:

05/25/2011 12:23 PMPosted by Pedoso
Will we see a tanking Legendary sometime soon?

And while it isn't possible to satisfy every individual, every individual does have a say. That's a valuable thing.
06/08/2011 03:45 PMPosted by Kaivax
I also make sure that the list of questions going to the devs at least has numerous questions from each region. Because some questions can be combined, I often get to send the devs at least the top 3-5 questions from every region, and often the top 6-9 questions from most regions. In this round, that process resulted in 16 questions for the devs, but comprised 26 of the highest-voted questions across all the regions.

And one of those 26 highest-voted questions across all the regions ... is a question asking why taunts can still miss. Really. Because people around the world were just that concerned about missed taunts.
Q: Do you plan to bring other tanks to the same level as Death Knights who have a lot of advantages over other tanking classes (easier to heal, quite a number of various safe abilities, etc.)? - Меланори (EU-RU)

A: Death knights are a somewhat different style of tank compared to the others. They take significantly more damage than other tanks, but then heal/shield that extra damage back instead (and sometimes more). Due to taking more damage, and that damage coming in spikes, they’re also the most likely to die to unexpected burst (such as when they don’t have runes up to Death Strike, have no cooldowns available, and fail to dodge or parry a few attacks in a row. They also have more personal impact on their own survivability and mitigation than any other tank, by tying much of their performance to Death Strike (and especially optimally timing their Death Strikes). So in the hands of a really skilled player, they can do some amazing things, but not usually much better than the other tanks.

So instead of a question that legitimately asks about the issues DK tanks have, you guys decide to address *this question?

Billy: Golly gee whiz, Devs! Death Knights are some awesome at tanking! They're way better than everyone else! Why can't other tanks be just as awesome.

Blue: Actually Billy... /kneels down to Billy's eye level DK tanks have got a lot of problems. They're damage is the spikiest which makes them most likely to die, and their resources are monopolized by their self heal ability which runs counter to even other mitigation abilities of theirs. DK's don't look so OP now, do they Billy?

Billy: /shrug Uhh, I don't know. You just paid me ten dollars to ask that question. I don't even know what this is about. Can I go back to playing with my friends n...

Blue: Security, get this kid out of here.

This right here is a classic bull!*!* technique used to dodge hard questions by turning them into easier questions that simply *acknowledge the problem. That way, you can make a statement to sound informed on the issue while also offering nothing to fix it. They even admitted that we're most likely to die to damage spikes which is still the largest reason tanks die other than player error.

They're basically saying "We're aware of the issue..." and doing it in a way that makes you forget the fact that they have no idea or plans to fix it.
I rather like this process, because ultimately, the decisions that really matter (what to ask, how to ask it, how important it is) are left to the players upfront. The single most upvoted question in the world this round was this one:

So people who keep up to date with changes are basically out of luck if a lot of people are clueless about something that happened months ago (taunts) or can be found on recent patch notes (tank leg armor)? Why is a question about dpsers HP in the tanking Q&A?

Being able to say "We just go with what's most popular" works well, I guess, but some editorial oversight would be nice too - I know people over on the tanking forum put a lot of effort into crafting questions on susbstantive issues they wanted some insight on and seeing our Q&A taken up in part by trivial questions was annoying, made worse by the fact that even the better questions weren't answered (as others have outlined above, it's not even political answers, it's flat out non-answers).

It's been said that the developers value productive, useful feedback about problems or issues people have. If so, why not move these sorts of Q&As to their respective forums, at least, so you might get a better sampling of what is worth looking into? As it is, if we're leaving the questions up to the whims of people who apparently missed out on mechanics for months, and the questions aren't likely to be answered appropriately anyway, what's the point?
so what i get from your post kaviax.

"we dont like picking good questions, we pick them by random no matter HOW STUPID they are"

thanks. good to know the people who design the video game i play are competent to know good formed question from l2 read.

taunts cant miss.