Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Q: Is there any plan to add a new tank class in the future? I think spell breaker in the Warcraft III is an awesome choice for that! – 聖淇淋 (TW)

I'm very sad to see you chose to answer only half of the question. Yes, we'd all like to know if another Class will be added to World of Warcraft, and some of us would even like it to be able to Tank. But the most relevant part was if you'd change the Talent trees to allow current classes to tank. Like perhaps Enhancement Shaman could get a split like Feral Druids, or Frost Mages could be allowed to have their CC to affect boss level mobs with appropriate Talents...

Thanks for saying that you're interested in adding a new class. We appreciate that.
Dear lord... You answered questions about taunt being able to miss (it's not since... last year?), LOLTANKLEGENDARY, more class tanks, and didn't even touch the DK questions.

I'm speechless.

Bravo.
I doubt the easy questions like taunt missing actually took the place of a more important question. If the devs wanted a question answered, it was answered.
I'm glad to see we need to ask the devs questions that could be answered by reading old patch notes.
Huge lol to the taunt missing question.
Most of the answers seem a little vague, but I'm surprised at how little most of the people asking questions actually know. DK tanks are OP? Taunts miss? There's a question in there about DPS health levels, which has nothing to do with tanking...I'm left a little confused. I didn't actually learn anything from this. :(
Well looks like the best piece of infor was a confirmed legendary in 4.3 lol
Wow..... Just wow.........
Pretty disappointed in some of the questions chosen as well as the answers given, really felt like there was a lot more potential for information/insight than this provided.
I would have loved to have seen what Blizz is planning to do to make HIT and EXPERTISE more important to tanks... instead all I saw was "WELL HIT IS IMPORTANT TO DKS AND CRIT IS IMPORTANT TO DRUIDS. WE WERE GOING TO DO THIS FOR WARRIORS AND PALADINS BUT NO."

and people wonder why there's a tank shortage...

This was pretty much all of the questions. "Well, x could have happened. But x is happening. We don't want to change it for fear of x. But x is nice. x." There's not a single definitive answer among the lot. Just a whole lot of dancing around issues and silly questions that could have been answered by trade chat.
I'm surprised Blizzard even does Ask the Devs given the horrible community response to every aspect of it
Sorry, but this was the worst Q&A answers I have ever seen.
Why bother to answer things that we already know like the god damn leg enchant?

I was hoping to see something clearer than the previous Q&A where a lot of players, including myself, "enraged" at some answers.
Q: Vengeance is a great tool to help raid tanks hold aggro over DPS, but in 5-man heroics it doesn't stack high enough to keep up with the threat generated by overgeared DPS burst damage. Are there any plans to address this? Are there any plans to help warriors put out more initial threat before Vengeance has been ramped up? – Nikelsndimes (NA), Cémanana (EU-FR), Arthur (TW), Mancake (NA), Migol (NA)

A: We think Vengeance works well overall. It provides sufficient threat without causing the tank to do more DPS than the dedicated DPS characters, and doesn’t let the tank just neglect abilities that cause threat. A full stack of Vengeance probably provides too much threat, but we didn’t think it was necessary to nerf that mid-expansion. Overall, we don’t want tanks to have 100% guaranteed threat on a pull, so we don’t want to buff that aspect of Vengeance, but we also don’t want DPS specs to constantly have to throttle the DPS they can deliver midway through a fight, so we have to strike a balance.

Note: There are fights with tank swaps or incoming adds, or similar mechanics, when threat may matter mid-fight. This is intended – encounter design varies widely.

Why even throw the warrior part of this question in there if you're going to make no mention of it in the answer.
Q: Have you considered normalizing initial Rage for feral druid tanks? For example, when a warrior uses Charge, it generates 15 points of Rage, which lets them use another aggro generating ability quickly, something that Feral druids tend to be a bit short on. Why in Cataclysm was the bear bonus health pool was reduced, as well? Their survivability always depended on the amount of health since they don’t have parry or shield block. Do you have any plans to improve bear tanking in the future? At the moment, it’s considered to be the weakest tank. Have you considered giving druid tanks an additional tool to pull casters at range? It’s the only tank class that doesn’t have a talent or spell to help in those situations. – Pødêrøsø (LA), Вирко (EU-RU), Амелья (EU-RU), Condenacion (EU-ES), Whitewnd (KR)

A: Bears are getting a significant mitigation buff in 4.2 and we’re retuning their damage such that it’s a little easier to hold aggro at low gear levels, and a little harder at higher gear levels. While we definitely don’t expect the community to ever agree on anything, we’ve seen little evidence of a widespread concurrence that druids are “the weakest tank.” There are plenty of druid tanks out there, handling everything from Grim Batol to Sinestra. Tank balance overall is in a really good place. Players may focus on potential problems that could arise in the future but we also have ample time to address those problems should they occur. Gone are the days when we would just release a class into the wild and refuse to touch it again until the next expansion.

Could you at least answer the rage generation disparity question?

06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
Protection paladins do bring a lot of utility, but it is quite difficult to make a table comparing a paladin’s Divine Guardian to a Protection warrior’s mobility or a bear druid’s ability to cast Innervate or even Rebirth during lulls in an encounter

Did you honestly just compare a 5k mana innervate to a 10% raidwide damage reduction cooldown?

06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
Druids: We’re pretty happy with how mastery has turned out. It scales well, doesn’t have any unintuitive or unfortunate interactions with other stats, and provides solid performance value.

For serious? It doesn't scale at all, and has an extremely unintuitive interaction with Expertise, Hit, Dodge, Vengeance, and even the Mastery itself.

I've believed for quite some time that Blizzard has no idea how Bears actually work. This just confirms it.
I think I should open an umbrella store for tanks. Especially DK's and Druids.

Every time Blizzard opens its mouth about what they think about DK's or Druids, I feel like they just want to start a ----storm on the forums.

Anyone want an umbrella?
Just goes to show you it's not really the tanking community that got to pick which questions were answered.
Time to log vedranna in and unspec her blood tank spec. I just dont even have anything to say with reguards to this.. i am well kinda flabbergasted.

Hey neth thanks for your blood dk attention last month, I am sorry we wasted your time with those threads/ discussions.

unspeced and

Status
Canceled (Expires: 6/23/2011 11:58 AM)
06/08/2011 10:25 AMPosted by Artilis
Just goes to show you it's not really the tanking community that got to pick which questions were answered.

I am so filled with rage right now I don't even know how to express myself (lolpun).
Oh look, not a single question answered about the TERRIBLE QoL state of blood DKs.

Thanks again for nothing community + Blizzard.

Account cancelled.