Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
I normally don't post here, just enjoy the massive amounts of QQ. That said, I agree with the community at large that this was an extraordinary disappointment. The problem I have that is making me post is this; why are Warriors complaining about initial threat, and then saying someone should read the patch notes? Recklessness AND Retaliation both having stance requirements removed is huge for us. Granted, popping recklessness on the pull for cho would be ill advised, but the other 95% of the content? If you can't handle 20% increased damage for 10~ seconds of actual boss contact, you're doing it wrong.

I tried using recklessness for a lot of boss pulls before now just to see if it helped, which it did, without getting me annihilated. Again, it did. My main problem is the pain to use before charging in, what with the stance dancing and deciding to use CS or not.

Now I'll get trolled by every other warrior in the thread, but whatever. I am still appalled at both the questions fielded and the answers given... Honestly most of it sounded like an old episode of Futurama, with "that 80's guy"... "Don't you worry about (blank), let me worry about (blank)." formula for success.

Now I'll get trolled by every other warrior in the thread, but whatever. I am still appalled at both the questions fielded and the answers given... Honestly most of it sounded like an old episode of Futurama, with "that 80's guy"... "Don't you worry about (blank), let me worry about (blank)." formula for success.

I would have accepted: "Taunts? TAUNTS? You're not looking at the big picture here!"
Terrible.
I would have accepted: "Taunts? TAUNTS? You're not looking at the big picture here!"

I loled
Haven't bothered posting on the forums in a long time, but I just had to say;

Thanks for the effort Devs, next time just don't bother.

From the questions that were useless, (taunts missing, dps hp, leg enchants) to the questions you failed to actually answer (threat issues at the start of a fight for some classes) to the valid questions that didn't get into the list this was a complete waste of your players time to write, your CM's time to compile and your devs time to answer.

I don't read the forums much, I don't spend all my day on tanking sites, this should have been an interesting and informative read for a non-hardcore tank such as myself. Instead the only thing I can take away from this Q&A is a feeling of "what is this I don't even..."
This sums up in part how I feel.

There were a couple decent answers, but overall, several questions that didn't belong (Leg armor, taunts), parts of questions that were ignored entirely (Bear rage generation, Warrior initial threat), and some issues not even given a word of consideration (Death Knight tanking debuffs, for example- among many other issues).

Next time, instead of putting time and effort into answering inane questions like "Can taunts miss?", just put that time into developing the game. This most recent Q&A has frustrated me much more than it came close to providing any remotely valuable insight.
I'm unhappy with almost all of these answers and with almost all of the questions. The devs could have just said 'working as intended' for most of the answers they gave for as much information as we got from the wordier versions. I feel sorry for the Blood DKs.

The only useful piece of information I got out of this is that evidently they're not planning to change the Paladin mastery for 4.2 because none of the darts that were thrown at the wall stuck (and by the time the patch actually comes out that will probably have changed).
those are not the questions that deserved to get answered. thanks for the lulz of thinking we got a real answer.
Among the interesting results of this round of Ask The Devs -

The question about Righteous Defense turned into an investigation of the code around Righteous Defense, and it was found to be bugged.

It was unintended for Righteous Defense to miss, so the bug was tracked down. It is being fixed immediately.

I'm presuming he was asking about all multiple taunts including Challenging Shout and Challenging Roar. Do those miss as well?

Aside from the class representation problems being an issue with taking only the popular vote for which questions to answer, the reason that tanks are so unhappy with these answers is that random people who don't play tanks went through the thread (probably the first 5 pages only) and upvoted random questions that they thought were interesting because THEY DON'T PLAY A TANK. Those of us who do play tanks are just frustrated at the lack of quality of the questions and answers and feel like we're not being listened to.
Among the interesting results of this round of Ask The Devs -

The question about Righteous Defense turned into an investigation of the code around Righteous Defense, and it was found to be bugged.

It was unintended for Righteous Defense to miss, so the bug was tracked down. It is being fixed immediately.

I'm presuming he was asking about all multiple taunts including Challenging Shout and Challenging Roar. Do those miss as well?

Not that I've noticed, tho at this point it wouldn't shock me.

/Edit On second thought, that would explain an issue I had tanking adds on mal tonight after our interrupter had a brain moment and let an extra fly on first phase... Tho I assumed I was just out of range, and probably was, but it'd be nice if they investigated all those, just in case they were forgotten/bugged as well.
06/08/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Dabrin
I'm surprised Blizzard even does Ask the Devs given the horrible community response to every aspect of it

They'd get a better response if they answered serious questions instead of things like "Do taunts miss" or "DPS health is too high, pls nerf". They'd also be better received if they didn't ignore issues with base class mechanics for an opportunity to say "Mastery is cool. We like Mastery.".
You know people are just so sad now a'days.Always complaining about something. They didnt have to answer your question, but they did ,and you people should be happy they do stuff like this. They dont have to answer you and to be honest i wouldnt knowing people would post some of the stuff they posted. Be happy they answer some of your questions, and if u dont like it gtfo and find another game you cry babies.
06/09/2011 12:49 AMPosted by Oklan
You know people are just so sad now a'days.Always complaining about something. They didnt have to answer your question, but they did ,and you people should be happy they do stuff like this. They dont have to answer you and to be honest i wouldnt knowing people would post some of the stuff they posted. Be happy they answer some of your questions, and if u dont like it gtfo and find another game you cry babies.

Well thank you for your input pure DPS class. Our frustration is that if they are going to do a Q&A session on Tanking it would be nice to address actual tank concerns not legendaries or whether DPS health is too high (seriously what does this have to do with tanking?). These Q&A's are devolving into Blizzard propaganda...
06/09/2011 12:49 AMPosted by Oklan

They didn't answer any of our questions. They dodge, dip, dived, ducked, and dodged anything related to the serious mechanics and QoL questions that came up about tanking, specifically for Blood DKs and Druids. The closest thing to a serious answer to the tanking community was from the legendary question, and that was just to tell us "Ain't happening any time soon, or likely ever".
In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners). I then take all of the different lists of questions from each region and combine them. Since our goal is to get as many questions answered as possible, when I'm compiling the final list of questions for the devs, I try to find where the #7 most upvoted question from North America is very similar to the #1 question from Russia and nearly identical to the #8 question from Taiwan. There are several of those every round, and they become highly valuable questions in a list of already-highly-valuable questions.

I appreciate the efforts that go into these things, I really do, but the community's frustration comes from the lack of quality control in determining what questions get sent to the dev team, as well as the poor quality of the answers that we receive to the softball questions they do ultimately receive. In one sense it's fantastic that you're giving the community the prime pick of what goes to the Q&A, but in the other there needs to be some sort of filter to make sure that these questions aren't either answerable with a read through patch notes (old or upcoming) or completely irrelevant to the topic at hand (like the "DPS Health" question).
I stopped caring about tanking long ago. The holy power mechanics, the complete lack of hit/exp being important and the fact Vengeance is the dumbest bandaid ever put on threat generation and Blizzard's complete inability to admit they have no idea how to fix it made me go back to my dps/healing alts months ago.

LOL. Yeah the hit/exp thing is annoying as hell but HoPo in Prot isn't too bad compared to Ret anyway. Personally I love vengeance and it seems to work great for me anyway (full 359 tank set). I personally just can't stand dps'ing as Ret for more than the 3 fights each week that we only need 1 tank for lol.