Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 26 Next
06/08/2011 06:16 PMPosted by Dämmerung
My question got missinterpreted and was not accurately translated from Spanish to English. What I wanted to ask is why Righteous Defense can still miss (on Maloriak adds for example). I know Hand of Reckoning does not.

That's a legitimate issue. Perhaps one better suited for a bug report, but it's much better than how Blizz translated it. It also wasn't answered properly. Yet another failure to add to the long, sad list of poorly executed aspects of this misbegotten communique.

Legitimate issue??? I've never had a problem with Righteous Defense. It pulls up to 3 targets attacking a friendly to attack the pally instead. Meaning if 3 targets are attacking your healer and you use righteous defense on them all the mobs will run to you. If there are more than that then you better get to moving. Righteous defense is a taunt and i've never seen it miss. It's doing its job. If people would pay attention to a lot of things, read tool tips, or patch notes then dumb questions like that could be avoided. But then again you can't inform everyone who chooses not to think before they ask something pointless.
Why do I have the feeling the phrase "That was changed in 3.9" will be a new meme meant to address old complaints that were never actually dealt with?
Seriously though why are we having these "Ask the devs" if questions aren't answered or dodged with "Oh well we like it". Why not explain -why- you like it?

I'd rather have Ghostcrawler back than this crap. At least he'd give straight answers.
Balthius, "That was changed in 3.9" should become a new meme. :)

That's a legitimate issue. Perhaps one better suited for a bug report, but it's much better than how Blizz translated it. It also wasn't answered properly. Yet another failure to add to the long, sad list of poorly executed aspects of this misbegotten communique.

Legitimate issue??? I've never had a problem with Righteous Defense. It pulls up to 3 targets attacking a friendly to attack the pally instead. Meaning if 3 targets are attacking your healer and you use righteous defense on them all the mobs will run to you. If there are more than that then you better get to moving. Righteous defense is a taunt and i've never seen it miss. It's doing its job. If people would pay attention to a lot of things, read tool tips, or patch notes then dumb questions like that could be avoided. But then again you can't inform everyone who chooses not to think before they ask something pointless.

Among the interesting results of this round of Ask The Devs -

The question about Righteous Defense turned into an investigation of the code around Righteous Defense, and it was found to be bugged.

It was unintended for Righteous Defense to miss, so the bug was tracked down. It is being fixed immediately.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2649805301?page=17#333
[ul]A: Like druids, paladins have the enormous benefit of being able to fill all three roles in a group. Paladins also retain a wide variety of buff and utility abilities from vanilla when they (and shaman) were more of a support class that was intended to have low individual throughput but made other classes in the group shine.

Sorry, I don't see it? Lay of hands and bubble, that's about it.

Many classes now share our aura damage mitigation abilties. Nearly all classes have aggro dumps. You took away our heals, divine intervention, and now our passive blocking.

I'm sorry, what aspects of Paladin tanking make us unique?

06/09/2011 08:32 AMPosted by Namus
I'm sorry, what aspects of Paladin tanking make us unique?

Holy Power

Wtb "Shield Power" for warriors; "Fur Power" for bears; "Corpse Power" for DKs.

Also, taunts? Leg armors? DPS health?

Really?

Brb. Trundling on over to AtD #10 to figure out how to post (and get upvoted) an irrelevant question about the starting quest zones and NPCs.
As a blood Dk myself I must say that just because we have all those skill at our disposal the cooldowns on them make it so much more difficult to tank, and including that we do not use sheilds makes us a "squishy" tank.
06/09/2011 08:17 AMPosted by Culin
Balthius, "That was changed in 3.9" should become a new meme. :)

Well, I've done my part
This is as good a place as any to be reminded that the devs do not choose the questions answered. We've done nine rounds of these, and used the same method to gather and compile the questions every time.

In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners). I then take all of the different lists of questions from each region and combine them. Since our goal is to get as many questions answered as possible, when I'm compiling the final list of questions for the devs, I try to find where the #7 most upvoted question from North America is very similar to the #1 question from Russia and nearly identical to the #8 question from Taiwan. There are several of those every round, and they become highly valuable questions in a list of already-highly-valuable questions.

I also make sure that the list of questions going to the devs at least has numerous questions from each region. Because some questions can be combined, I often get to send the devs at least the top 3-5 questions from every region, and often the top 6-9 questions from most regions. In this round, that process resulted in 16 questions for the devs, but comprised 26 of the highest-voted questions across all the regions.

The devs answered all 16 questions that they were sent.

Would I have liked to send the devs 20 questions? Perhaps 120 questions? Of course. But I have to pick a reasonable place to end the list when I compile it. That cut-off usually presents itself, and as the compilation grows to 11, then 12, then 13 questions, there is a big dropoff in upvotes. With most rounds of Ask the Devs, that happens at around 12 combined questions. This round, it was 16 questions.

I rather like this process, because ultimately, the decisions that really matter (what to ask, how to ask it, how important it is) are left to the players upfront. The single most upvoted question in the world this round was this one:

Will we see a tanking Legendary sometime soon?

And while it isn't possible to satisfy every individual, every individual does have a say. That's a valuable thing.

Basically, what you are telling us is "you voted for these questions, stop complaining".

Now... in 22 pages worth of responses, EVERYONE is upset or disappointed with the lack of effort on your part to compile a list of decent questions and answers. If the "popular" questions were in fact the ones sent to the devs to answer.... why is the majority of the players who actually wrote these questions upset? Seems like a broken system if the vast majority disagrees with the "popular" questions. You need to either fix this and answer valid questions, or just remove this stupid thread altogether if it really is that big of a joke for you. You are proving time and time again that Blizzard is far too disconnected with the player base. This is a joke
I get that the questions about leg enchants and taunts were voted up but couldnt you say "Well these questions are things that most players should probably be able to figure out on their own. Maybe we should skip them and respond to questions that only we can answer, as opposed to the ones any moron can look up on wowhead?" and then give an extra 2 questions that people genuinely want to know the answer to?
For the next tank Q&A, just make it so that in order to vote/post questions you must tank one full random heroic in game.
The problem with this round of "Ask the Dev" is the problem you're going to have any time democracy is involved.

Each idiot is worth 1 vote.
Each Einstein is worth 1 vote.

So the mouth-breathers get on and up-vote questions that should make them have their account banned.
Let's be serious, any stupidity that blatant is most likely contagious.

I'm just shocked the ever present "Herp-Derp Shammy / Rogue tank?" question wasn't max voted.

Although, I have to admit these guys should run for President. 300+ words without a single thing being said.
/target public
/Cast Misdirect

I wish they'd at least given solid answers. Answers the community wouldn't have liked, but answers regardless.

Dev:"No, we have no plans to change DK's blood shield at this time. It's good enough for the average weekend raider as is."
General 8/12 raider "No stress, It does the job"
Hardcore 6/13 raider "Alllll righty then, let me reroll a pally."

Dev: "Warrior threat IS horribad in opening, but if we ramp anything up it will be too powerful after veng has stacked."
General 2/12 raider "If I include a rage potion when I open I can spam HS and hope no-one crits in the first 30 seconds."
Anyone over 11/12 "If I put Tabasco sauce on this bullet, I might actually enjoy it."

Having a strategy of people NOT doing the role they rolled is insane.
Tank: DPS, wait 20 seconds so we can win.
Healer: Tank, wait 20 seconds... it won't change a thing.
DPS: Healer, wait 20 seconds so we can wipe.

What really bothers me after having a night to let this all sink in is that there was a CM post on the tanking forums a few weeks (months?) back about how they acknowledged that tanks are by far the lowest populated spec, which in turn leads to us having little representation on the forums and thus never having questions answered (I'm paraphrasing but this was literally the gist of the blue post), and that this would be OUR time to ask questions and have them answered.

By the fact this was open to EVERYONE this is just a slap in the face since they acknowledged the damm issue in the first place. Throw in the fact I think Dov posted actual math proving blood is not ok come sometime in firelands, and that even though there are 3 LA servers and they had more questions answered then we did....... how do they get off saying that thats the majority when NA has over 200 servers.

At this point I'm with Vedranna and at the end of the Tier I will be specing out of blood, if only to move to my prot pally because my guild actually needs a tank that will work, not to mention the massive burn out from playing a DK properly.

Also for anyone that thinks they want bliz to change them to active mitigation please go play blood currently on fights like Cho where your healers cant watch you every second and cover your mistakes (missing DS by a second and loosing 30k from the heal) due to not running an optimal raid comp (no mage or boomer, and two mele dps on 10man).
06/09/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Skruff
The devs answered all 16 questions that they were sent.

Stop lying. None of the following questions were answered.

"Are there any plans to help warriors put out more initial threat before Vengeance has been ramped up?"

"Have you considered normalizing initial Rage for feral druid tanks? For example, when a warrior uses Charge, it generates 15 points of Rage, which lets them use another aggro generating ability quickly, something that Feral druids tend to be a bit short on."

"Have you considered giving druid tanks an additional tool to pull casters at range? It’s the only tank class that doesn’t have a talent or spell to help in those situations."

And this is not even including the bad answers they did give nor the bad questions that were included. If you look at the volume and tone of the responses here, it's pretty clear that this round of AtD was a failure. There's no way you can look at this and honestly say they did a good job. I was rather disappointed with the AtD on Professions, but that wasn't anywhere close to how bad this one was. Blizz, you need to do a little assessment of your performance here and the feedback you're getting. Please try harder and do better.

what's the issue? the general answers to these questions were, "no, because everything is where we want it now"

and that's the correct answer. the game is good where it is now.

i think you need to read more carefully.