Vial of Sands

Professions
I want that recipe.

That's been my thoughts like, the entire week. lol. I know I might get some crap for this topic but I'm taking the risk in hopes that someone out there might feel the same. Now I realize that if you want something you have to work for it, but, come on. This is kind of out of control. At least in my opinion.
I've been at this for like, a week now, all day, every day, trying to get this recipe in the canopic jar (yes I know, I have no life), only to get someone's spleen 3 times in a row. And to tell the truth it kinda pisses me off. I know it's just a game, but dammit I really want that recipe. lol.
Cuz it's like, you spend all this time digging, trying to get maxed out, only to have to keep going, and going, and going, in hopes of getting a recipe in a jar, in a sequence that's all based on luck, which is apparently something I don't have. xP
I'm just saying, I don't feel that the other archaeologists in the game should have to deal with THAT much hassle either when they've already got so far. And don't get me wrong. It's not a matter of laziness, trust me. Because I've done quite a lot of flying around, and digging and them some. I am willing to work for !@#% I want, I've done that the entire time I've been playing. But seriously. Cut me some slack here. Anyone else who feels that Blizz should cut the archaeologists/alchemist a break, or am I just being a baby? If so, is there any particular reason why it's set up this way? I'm just curious.
This is only my personal opinion though, but I think that after all that digging, the diggers should be able to have the recipe in the first jar they get. Yes? No?
I want that recipe.

That's been my thoughts like, the entire week. lol. I know I might get some crap for this topic but I'm taking the risk in hopes that someone out there might feel the same. Now I realize that if you want something you have to work for it, but, come on. This is kind of out of control. At least in my opinion.
I've been at this for like, a week now, all day, every day, trying to get this recipe in the canopic jar (yes I know, I have no life), only to get someone's spleen 3 times in a row. And to tell the truth it kinda pisses me off. I know it's just a game, but dammit I really want that recipe. lol.
Cuz it's like, you spend all this time digging, trying to get maxed out, only to have to keep going, and going, and going, in hopes of getting a recipe in a jar, in a sequence that's all based on luck, which is apparently something I don't have. xP

Ha! 3 jars? I've solved 17 of 'em. 551 artifacts total, 82 of which have been Tol'vir, and 17 of those have been Canopic Jars. No alchemy-mount recipe yet. I've been farming for this recipe, whenever I have the time, since around the middle of December, 2010...

So, yeah, I totally agree with you that something needs to be done. I'm not saying make it easy, I'm saying make it A BIT easier -- I want to earn it, but dammit it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall here. It's completely random -- the game has no memory of me solving the other 17 Canopic Jars, so each individual jar gives me exactly the same chance for a drop. If the chance got a tiny bit greater each time I solve a jar I could live with that. But it doesn't. Total crap.

L.
My mage alt has been at this for about a month. Im trying for jar number 8 to get the recipe and yes it is a pain in the rear. It really kinda tees me off when I hear people who have gotten this recipe on the first or second jar. But its like playing the lotto you'll win eventually if u keep playing (or not). Oh I wouldnt worry so much as trying to find the recipe the mats to make this mount is rediculous too. It cost just in Vendor mats about 28k gold and not to mention the Truegold and few flask you need to have too.
I hate to beat a dead horse on an old outdated topic, I've started working on this myself without success. I agree something needs to change, RNG is one thing but jeebers does it have to be "that" low of a chance to get the canopic jar and then an even slimmer chance to get the recipe. At the very least your odds should increase after each completion.

I have completed (Just in Tol'vir)

3 Rares, Scepter, Ring and pendant
20 Cat Statues
18 Castle of sands
10 Engraved Hilt
10 Canopic Jars (havn't seen one come up in a long time now)
18 Sketch's
19 Soapstone Scarab necklaces
16 Tiny Oasis Mosaic's

I'm all for putting in time and effort but this getting rediculous and I KNOW others have spent far more time and effort than I have. Something really needs to be done about the %'s to get this. I think each canopic Jar should count and increase the chance to get it the next time. Those with 30+ Jar solves really should have this recipe IMO.

I sure hope Blizzard does something with this needless time sink.

Edit: I should probably mention this has been done on my Alt with Maxed Alchemy prior to starting Arch.
I wouldn't even start wondering about it until you got to at least 15 jars. I believe the statistic is that you need an average of 33 Canopic jars to get the drop. It's not a "weeks" kinda thing. It takes months. I've been on it on and off for a year. I think I'm at around 700 total solves and I figure I've got a few hundred more yet.
I can't get in the game right now to get exact numbers (I'm at work) but I finally got the recipe on my alchemist two days ago after trying for it for over a year. I didn't work on it constantly of course but I would try to spend a few hours each week if possible while also grinding Arch on my main here in search of the bug mount.

My alchemist has 5 Tol'vir rares including the pet, mount and 1h sword. It felt like she was hardly ever even finding jars but I know I opened close to a dozen before finding it even though other commons had turned up twice as many times as the jars. She also has all of the Night Elf and Fossil rares from grinding Kalimdor almost exclusively after getting high enough to possibly get Tol'vir sites.

It was a frustrating grind but then again, I didn't expect it to be easy. I ground old ZG for over a year trying for the mounts and still never saw the tiger mount at all. Things worth having are worth working towards and even if there is no guarantee that I will get that thing I want, my chances are zero if I don't even try.
just keep at it. it will drop for you eventually. and it will probably drop when you least expect it.

i feel you pain, i really do.
i only started doing archy just for that recipe. and when i finally did get it, it came after 9 days (6-8hrs a day) at max skill level with over 130 Tol'Vir solves. so i can understand the madness and desperation you are experiencing.

im going to offer the best advice i can, since i know you wont be giving up anytime soon (hey, when one wants something, they will get it. and stop at nothing until they have it)
1. sell your tolvir keystones. depending on your servers economy, and demand for these, these can bring in around 1000 gold each. much nicer than using it for a jar, and it only has organs in it. i cannot begin to tell you about my rage when i saved up a stack of those only to use them on junk. (yes this was after i discovered that they can sell for a nice amount of gold.
2. stock up on items and potions that will get you around the world faster. tabards, teleporters, potions, rings, cloaks, mages, and your hearthstone are the best tools to use in this profession. and they are all well worth the money (time, gold, ect) to give you an advantage while you are on this grind.
3.only survey in Kalimdor. this goes without saying when grinding the tolvirs. but still, there are alot of players out there that do not understand this, and they go to all corners of the world and still cant figure out why no sites have opened in uldum. this is why. (yes, i was one of these players at one time)
4. do not try to force more sites to open. and what i mean by this is, if you finish a dig in lets say, winterspring. right after you look at your map and see you have just opened one up in uldum, but you are right next to one over in felwood. what do you do you? you go to uldum! you have a better chance of opening up another site in uldum after you clear the one there, as opposed to going to all other sites in hopes you can get more to open in uldum.
less time traveling, more time digging up tol'virs. i forget the way this was explained, but it was along the lines of something to do with the way sites are spawned and the rng that is involved with it. it worked for me.
and most importantly,...
5. STAY DISTRACTED! i can not stress this enough. never give your full attention to this grind. watch TV, read a book, listen to music, chat with friends, play windowed and surf the web.... really, anything that can keep your mind off the grind. trash solve after trash solve can really start to wear down ones spirits. i found it best for me to just be focused on something else while on this grind. helped keeping me from going insane.

so in closing, i wish you the best of luck. and i hope you get what you are after soon.

edit: well dont i feel dumb posting in a necroed thread. surely by now the OP has gotten this?
My mage got the Vial recipe after about 12 jars, I think it was, but my other Alchemist has yet to see it drop.

I don't see the Vial as a whole lot different from the extremely rare drop rates of Zin'Rohk, which I have yet to get either. >_> All of the Archy rares need to be adjusted/tweaked a bit. Every last one of them.

Out of 3 max Archaeologist alts, none of them has gotten the bug mount, neither of the two staves, ditto the two swords, nor the shield. And two of those alts have been grinding Arch since Cata dropped and had the Prof title prior to the nerfs. Two have gotten the Crawling Claw, and only one has gotten the NElf Doll trinket.

It's frustrating to the point where I take looong breaks of simply ignoring Arch or I'll just starting hating it. :p

You know, now that I think about it, I think it bothers me more because those items would have been amazing upgrades for some of my alts, but now..? They're completely irrelevant items as you can get far far better off the AH or the Twilight dungeons for the most part now. :(

I understand the stance that they didn't want the Epics to be too easy to get, but that really makes me laugh now that it's utterly trivial to go get a much better Epic item from a Heroic dungeon or the Raid Finder. Twenty minute heroic/5 seconds at the AH --> epic weapon. A year of grinding Arch --> Nada.
A week? *knee slapping laugh*

This was the only reason I leveled Archy. One can only get so many mummified parts before throwing their hands up in defeat.

I quit looking after a month.
I refuse to do arch because of the madness :) Think of it like the lottery, instead of money you're gambling with time. yes everyone WANTS the powerball jackpots but you should never expect to win just by playing over and over. That is the unfortunate law of statistics :)

I would agree with Yebbie, test it out, if you get lucky then awesome, but I wouldn't sink a ton of time into it personally because there is no guarantee. It is NOT a faction grind, there is no end in sight.
03/21/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Yebbie
A week?

no, 9 days. lol. @ 525 skill. and it was nothing but Archaeology. no dailies, no pvp, no pve, no tradechat trolling. strictly one site to another.... during that grind i went for over 16 hrs in one setting. wtf was i thinking?

but looking back now, yes it was worth it. and i had a pretty cool WoW adventure during that process.
it cant be as much of a grind now, rather than what it was at the time the OP made this post. with all the changes archy has gotten since then, it is a little better right?

test it out, if you get lucky then awesome, but I wouldn't sink a ton of time into it personally because there is no guarantee. It is NOT a faction grind, there is no end in sight.

this is very good advice. this is something similar to the advice a ticketed GM gave me when i desperately tried to seek out information about the recipe's drop rate. and no, they wouldnt tell me.
03/21/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Granvizier
it cant be as much of a grind now, rather than what it was at the time the OP made this post. with all the changes archy has gotten since then, it is a little better right?

Very little.

While it only takes, on average, 2.5 Tol'Vir sites to make an artifact, which is down from 3 sites, you can still go (literally) hours without seeing a Tol'Vir site at all and the extra fragments for the other races means you get to stop and clear out your fragments more often.

I'd certainly be even more aggravated if I had the doll, since the difference between 1/2 and 1/3 isn't great enough to really matter and I know from fossils early on how insulted by Blizzard I feel when wasting my time because of their bad design. (without the doll, more than half my sites are NE sites, by other peep's measurements, the proc rate of NE sites when you've finished is around 1/3).
This is much easier than it used to be and a week is not all that large an amount of time to spend on it. Once you get all of the nightelf and fossil sites solved the odds of getting a tol'vir increase substantially (this didn't used to happen) and of course you more fragments per site now.

It may just be the server/faction I'm on now but the recipe just isn't that useful anymore since its become much more common. THere are usually 3-4 sellers posting vials in any given week and numerous people temporarily posting them as they establish themselves on a new server. I've sold one in the past 2 months now with my threshhold set at a relatively modest profit and posting multiple times every day. Outside of being a completionist or being on a low pop server I can't see getting the recipe at this late stage as being very useful.
It finally dropped for me on jar 18. Just keep digging.
I seem to be getting a jar about every 6 hours. Maybe more frequent. So it's not intolerable. I think I'm at somewhere around 12 jars now.

(..and if I may say the gold is not too bad. I will likely have turned up more than enough gold to buy the mount by the time I find the recipe)
...Something really needs to be done about the %'s to get this. I think each canopic Jar should count and increase the chance to get it the next time. Those with 30+ Jar solves really should have this recipe IMO.

I sure hope Blizzard does something with this needless time sink...

I must say I felt like you after the first month. However, the closer I get to finding it the more I realize how angry I would be if they made it easier for others to get after all this work. So it would be really unfair to all those who've already ground it out to just hand it to everyone else.

(UPDATE: I'm having a killer night in Archaeology tonight! 2 Canopic Jars, 3 Cat statues and a chest of Tiny Glass Animals in less than 3 hours! ~ still no Vial recipe, tho...)
03/22/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Eluvia
I must say I felt like you after the first month. However, the closer I get to finding it the more I realize how angry I would be if they made it easier for others to get after all this work. So it would be really unfair to all those who've already ground it out to just hand it to everyone else.

Okay, what?

First off, you're no closer to finding it now than you were when you started.

Second, I really can't understand why you'd be angry at someone else getting something.

Are you angry at the person that got it on their first jar back in January 2011? It was obviously easy for them.

Do the folks that got it back then have a right to be angry at the ones who get it now? (since it's obviously "easier" since they added more Tol'Vir sites since then, and bumped the fragment drop rates)

More to the point, how does random_stranger_428547 having something affect you in the least?

The only thing that matters is your own sense of accomplishment at doing something. I wasn't mad when they added the cloth turn-ins for rep way back in vanilla. I'd been farming (literally... go to ungoro, get soil, plant seed, open pod and hope for the right herb, repeat) NE rep for months in hopes of getting a kitty to ride. I found out later that my farming was getting me 1 rep per turn in, I'd have had to do this farm several thousand more times. When they added the runecloth turn in, I was thrilled that I only had to farm up a couple hundreds of stacks to get the rep I needed to be the first gnome on Lothar riding a kitty (I was the third or fourth person, but first gnome). I certainly wasn't angry at everyone else because they got to rep up WAY more easily than I did afterwards. Be happy with what you accomplished, be happy that others don't have to suffer like you did, and move on to other things in the game.
Oh I miss the cloth turn-ins! Much of the time I never know what to do with it.

The purple kitty grind was what got me, I spent weeks on that one, now it's been completely revamped based on a daily, but I'm hardly mad, since theoretically I can get it on every toon at the same time, almost like a boa.

OP-I do feel your pain because I've been farming Poseidus forever now.
You are such a poser! I've opened a dozen buckets of petrified guts. There are a lot of "white whales" in the game. Any of them will just make you crazy.
24 canopics to get my recipe. 130+ Tol'Vir solves when it happened.
the Ring of the Boy was nice for my alt.
no other gear has fallen for me in that place either.

and now even my alts have advanced beyond the 359 gear being usefull.