Ask a Developer is not working.

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10
The fact people are complaining about this baffles me.

Would you rather no QA? Would you rather they didn't try to reach out to us and let us know what they're thinking at all? Quite your complaining and be happy we're lucky enough to have a developer team who cares about the community and wants to share some of their insights.

Yikes!

Two pinheads.
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

I don't really post on the forums but I was just talking to one of my friends about WoW. One of the things I mentioned, as part of the reason why I keep coming back to WoW, is the amount of blue posts we get. You just don't see (at least I don't) many developers trying to communicate with the players but Blizzard tries. I love that I can go to mmo-champ and on most days there is something from blue that I find worthwhile to read. When I read this blue post I was a little surprised that there is a lot of negativity from some players (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised).

I'll admit, I have taken many breaks from WoW since it first came out way back when. But that is due to me burning out. I eventually stopped kidding myself when I unsubscribed thinking I would never play again. Now when I take a break I know I'll be back. I know its not the same for everyone - I know some friends that have quit for almost 2 years and still have no desire to come back. When I quit WoW to give another MMO a try I knew I'd be back. And one of the things that made me come back was the fact that I can go to the forums and find some post with a blue response. I never see that on the the other MMO forums. I didn't like that. I wanted to know what the devs plans where for the future...what are their plans for PvP, quests, achievements, healing, anything...I just never knew until a new patch came out and even then I felt a little lost. For the most part I don't feel like that in WoW. I know blue responses isn't really a good reason to come back but that combined with a lot of other stuff pushed me back.

I also like these Q&A's. I don't follow what questions might be asked or which ones are popular or which ones "should" have been answered. I just like to read what they have to say - at least they are communicating with us. I also don't read peoples comments after the Q&A...Not because I don't want to or peoples points aren't valid but it just never crossed my mind. I read the Q&A and tell myself "ok" and I'm done until I see another blue post. But...I do try to avoid the general discussion thread as usually all I see are negative posts.

I consider myself a hardcore player but I don't raid and most of my time is spent on solo stuff, like achievements, or doing daily quests with a friend or two. I also like PvP (but only BG's with random people or with a couple friends). I'm sure people wouldn't consider this hardcore since I don't do rated BG's, arena or raid but the amount of time I put into WoW I would definitely consider myself hardcore.

I'm not saying WoW can't improve or doesn't have problems but I was surprised that people complain about stuff that they won't get in other MMO's, like communication.

P.S - I would like to see a lot more achievements added :) ...Most fun I ever had in this game was during Wrath and doing all the vanilla, BC and Wrath achievements. I feel Cata didn't really add many except for the obvious ones like complete quests or rep (and I don't like that I'm pretty much forced to run dungeons to get rep).

Sorry for the long post
The fact people are complaining about this baffles me.

Would you rather no QA? Would you rather they didn't try to reach out to us and let us know what they're thinking at all? Quite your complaining and be happy we're lucky enough to have a developer team who cares about the community and wants to share some of their insights.

Yikes!

Yes. I'd rather have an empty plate, than a plate full of crap.
When healers get sympathy to play their roles now, yeah, ending the Q&A on healer concerns sums up a lot. -_-

Only answer i'd really be looking for is 'When are we going to admit that cata healing is/was a failure and put healing back how we found it so people will start playing their healers again?'

Ego can be a good thing, but when its getting in the way of a company making money, its time to put it aside, admit failure and correct the mistakes.
In responce to the write in on the Q&A or ask the developers. Bashing them is the least they should worry about. Its pretty bad when your a big game company and you put out a game patch with numerous glitches and lags not to mention being knocked off the server a few times, when they should have been tested longer and a lot better. For the most part when you ask or you have a question you never get an answer in a timely fashion even if that's a day away. The Gm's are just as bad in reponding to questions. The frustration rate runs extremely high when the game doesn't give you what it should and asking a GM for help or asking a question just mean to be blown off. If there isn't enough people to be GM'S maybe it should be looked into? Suming it up in one big lump I would say asking the developers or programers along with the GM's seems to be a big waste of a players time because you can never get a answer or an answer in a timely fashion anyway. Timely fashion, meaning within an hour or two at the lastest. So we will just have to continue to muttle through the game as always, while our complaints fall on deaf ears.
If you'd like to increase throughput, untie Ghostcrawler and put a cup of gin back in his hand. There's simply no denying that he did that job well, and that he'd do it well going forward.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
06/15/2011 10:38 AMPosted by Bashiok
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

The implication here is that Joystiq is a fansite. I know one of your jobs here is damage control, but dismissing an intelligent, well-written article on a legitimate gaming media site out of hand was not a good move. The ivory tower perception you and your colleagues have amplified here in the past year is already rankling people, don't make it worse.

And ultimately, that's one of the problems with the Q&A. On the one hand, balance decisions are perceived to be made with less input than before, and on the other, you tried to communicate your process with players in the most transparent way possible. Trying to please everyone is a noble goal, but leaving complete control in the hands of this community was naive. Filtering out some of the obviously unnecessary questions (despite their vote score) would have gone a long way toward making this work.