Ask a Developer is not working.

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
Also: as Hothgor said above, assigning specific people to one class at a time would be absolutely a GODSEND. If the players know for a fact "Hey, at least one of the higher-ups play my spec and can see what I'm talking about directly" then it's easier for us to talk shop to the devs without getting extremely irate.

"Blizzard Hates paladins" is the title of this you tube video and its the greatest thing ever and proof why assigning certain developers to monitor each class is a bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKo11ht1A0
Firstly, people, the taunt question was correctly translated. The guy never mentioned Righteous Defense in his question. He very very very subtly implied that that's what he was on about but he never actually mentioned it by name. Really, on that question, Blizzard did the best with what they were given.

Secondly, it seems a lot of the issue is that there is no direct line of communication to the developers. We've got blogs and Q&A and CMs but they're all indirect and I think a lot of people would just like a dialogue with the actual developers. My suggestion is what about electing some people on the forums to be a group of class advisors or something and let them have a dialogue with developers every so often.
-----
Attack tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

The reason why it's not working has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with players trying to get across their messages within that format.

I respect that Blizzard has decided to take the game in a direction they want to play. It's just too bad that it is a direction that a lot of us do not want to play.

Specifically. For me: Everything comes down to, I am not having as much fun PVPing in Cata as I did in the other expansions. (multiple classes) That's it in a nutshell.

Longform: You have taken the progression out of arena for gear. You are now forcing Rated BGs to be competitive point wise. You removed skirmishes. You removed arena data from past matches from the armory. The BG maps don't show everyones location making the games less cohesive.

So the main issue isn't that the Q&A isn't working. It's that we are forced to try and fit our grievances in that format. Mine are for Pvp others are for Pve.

I hope you get the game you want. I really do. I just won't be a part of it anymore.

That was fascinating. I was not fishing for a blue response at all. But I got one!

Thanks, Bashiok. I'm not one to complain; I just play the game. But the ATD just didn't work for me. Until I read the WoWInsider article, I wasn't able to really say why I didn't feel it worked.

If even Blizzard doesn't like the format, then I do not feel alone any longer. For the record, I did offer up a question in the tanking thread. And I DID vote down several questions that I had seen asked before or did not feel were worth answering. In fact, my question was what did the developers see as tanking issues. I don't know if it was voted for but I know it wasn't answered. However, like I said in the first post, I did not expect a developer to answer this post let alone any posts I had made in the tanking thread. I'm not that naive.

I honestly do not know if Blizzard developers are reading the forums any longer. I was sure that the Suggestion forum was being monitored because Blizzard said so. We don't have a Suggestion forum any longer.

I wasn't look to bash anyone or the company. Just throwing my opinion out there on a topic. Blizzard encourages that.
06/15/2011 11:25 AMPosted by Fasc
Furthermore, the Taunt question wasn't even translated properly, it was meant to be a specific question about Righteous Defense, the Paladin "AoE" Taunt, that could still miss unlike the rest. The botched translation makes it sound very crappy that forum space was wasted on such a question: like a Calculus class being told that yes indeed, 2+2 does in fact equal 4.

This is completely and utterly false. The question was not mistranslated, or even misinterpreted. The player specifically said "los taunts (todos)", which means "the taunts (all of them)". The word "taunts" is even already in English. At no point does he ever refer to a specific taunt, or mention taunts outside of the snippet I've provided for you. He also specifically compares changing taunts to the widespread change for interrupts.

Seriously, go Google Translate his question. The truth is that the player has been backpeddling as fast as he can since the Q&A fallout.
lol if you want to increase dev interaction with the community what about making them post in the forums like it was before?
06/15/2011 08:57 PMPosted by Sabatieni
Furthermore, the Taunt question wasn't even translated properly, it was meant to be a specific question about Righteous Defense, the Paladin "AoE" Taunt, that could still miss unlike the rest. The botched translation makes it sound very crappy that forum space was wasted on such a question: like a Calculus class being told that yes indeed, 2+2 does in fact equal 4.

This is completely and utterly false. The question was not mistranslated, or even misinterpreted. The player specifically said "los taunts (todos)", which means "the taunts (all of them)". The word "taunts" is even already in English. At no point does he ever refer to a specific taunt, or mention taunts outside of the snippet I've provided for you. He also specifically compares changing taunts to the widespread change for interrupts.

Seriously, go Google Translate his question. The truth is that the player has been backpeddling as fast as he can since the Q&A fallout.

Duly noted, never really bothered to check the translations myself, just the posts that followed since the aftermath of the ATD pretty much made me not care too deeply that space was wasted.

Regardless, poorly translated or not, the Devs made a decision to spend time on it.
06/15/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Madia
I honestly do not know if Blizzard developers are reading the forums any longer. I was sure that the Suggestion forum was being monitored because Blizzard said so. We don't have a Suggestion forum any longer.

So I really liked this Post and the Second and third sentence and this was just hugely funny and ironic.
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

In other words, you guys are stopping the Q&A because the community is never happy with what information we get.

We had an opportunity to finally ask you guys some questions and have them answered, and people ruined it by crying.

I don't blame you.
Please do another 'Ask CDevs.' Haven't had one of those in a LONG time.
If I had to design an "ask the dev" type thing that used the current forum format I would think that this would work better:

1) Announce the subject and announce the amount of time that questions would be accepted for review, make post, continue making posts as necessary for the full length of time that the subject would be open for questions.

2) Have CMs review all the submissions and make a locked thread containing the questions that passed the review process with 1 question per post, ask for votes. CMs should only put forward questions that are sensible, not overly class specific in non-class-specific sessions, etc. CMs could reword poorly worded questions.

3) Have devs answer the highest rated questions and post the answers, but here's the rub because they need to not sound like what you hear on the campaign trail and make sure to actually fully answer the questions...

My personal favorite from AtDs has been [paraphrasing] Q. Hey can enchanters make wands again plz? A. We like magic lamps! You'll be able to make more things like magic lamps soon!

Ugh.
Welp, called it. GJ to those few enhancement shaman who just ruined it for everyone.
Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs

Regardless of its shortcomings, it did succeed in the goal listed. Granted I disliked a few thing about it, like a single player hogging the front page with multiple posts just to try and get noticed while more pressing questions get moved back. But like you said, it isn't perfect, and any system you try will always have problems and naysayers.

It's a shame. I was hoping that the Q&A would go as far as to start talking about specific classes after getting some of the more general questions out of the way.
Just give us Ghostcrawler back. Even though people picked on him for no good reason when he said something they didn't like even though he was just the messenger, I think GC was the best form of communication between the devs and the players.
Nice way to avoid Shaman questions. You dodged that one, Blizzard.

Second, the questions answered are often things that have been asked in the past Or just downright shouldn't have been answered at all. Case in point was the question about DPS health bars. Why were the developers answering that question in a "Tanking" thread? I thought the rules stated you had to be on topic. I'm surprised no one said "This is a DPS question. Why are we answering it?" Because it was highly rated?

Probably because it was tank related. The thinking being that if DPS has less health they will watch their aggro better making it easier for tanks to do their jobs.