Heirloom Refund Idea

General Discussion
Post Limit:
WAIT - before you flame me please read my idea.

I don't want JP refunded for heirlooms, so go ahead and set that gripe aside. I understand it would be unfair for people to be able to trade heirlooms in for JP especially with the upcoming VP changes.

The Idea:
I was just thinking I wish there was a way that I could trade in my old heirlooms for a different heirloom of equal value and make.

Heck they could charge me 1000g for every time I wanted to trade one in and/or only allow me to trade ONCE, just something to get rid of the boring grind I already do for JP gear for 85. I spend enough time in dungeons as it is.
This might help solve the issue of useless heirlooms just sitting around.
Also this might help put these heirlooms on par with the guild heirlooms. Every time you want to buy a guild heirloom you don't have to keep grinding rep up to honor for each different set. You do it one time and boom, access to all of them. This idea is not even asking for that much.

The way may system works is you trade out one heirloom for a different one thereby sort of sacrificing the first and if its only allowed once after you trade there would be no getting the old one back.
So for example: If you have only 1 complete set of heirlooms even if you trade you would still in the end have only 1 complete set of heirlooms because you'd sacrifice the first set for a new one.

Why I hate Grinding for heirlooms:

Im probably missing others, but heirlooms, if you only have one 85, are one of the only things you have to constantly grind for. When I got JP gear from dungeons I did it once. When I got Exalted with Orgrimmar I did it one time. When I got honored with my Guild I did it one time. But heirlooms, nah I have to grind, grind, grind and grind some more.

Alot of people don't feel that pain because you played through WoTLK and had plently of opportunity to get heirlooms but that story is not the same for me or many other players. I understand in your opinion this is probably the worst idea ever but that's also because you already own all the heirlooms so this idea has no use to you either.

THE ESSENTIAL IDEA IS ABOVE, IF YOU WISH TO SEE THE EXACT MECHANICS OF WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT KEEP READING :)
What would work:
If I had Preened Ironfeather Breastplate a heirloom leather Chest Piece worth 2175 JP, I would be able to trade it for a different Chest piece of the same value like Burnished Breastplate of Might which is also a Chest piece worth 2175 JP.

If I had Preened Ironfeather Shoulders a heirloom Shoulder piece worth 2175 JP, I would be able to trade it for a different Shoulder piece of the same value like Burnished Pauldrons of Might which are also Shoulders worth 2175 JP.

What wouldn't work:
However, if I had a 1H heirloom weapon worth 2175 JP I would not be able to trade it for a heirloom weapon worth 3500. Even though they are the same type, the value is not equal so it would not be allowed to be traded. Again however, you could trade a 2175 weapon for another different 2175 weapon.

If you wanted to dual wield heirloom weapons, you would still have to have 2 heirlooms weapons worth 2175 in order to obtain 2 different ones.

Also though it should be obvious by now, you couldn't trade a 2175 Chest pieces for 2175 Shoulders because even though they share the same value, they are not the same type of item.

So thoughts?

I tried to be as clear as possible so sorry if it was at all confusing and I tried to state my reasoning behind it too. Basically again, its mainly because I hate having to grind 20+ dungeons every time I want to get an heirloom set for an alt. I know its slightly lazy, but its not like my idea is removing the grind completely, just some of it.

Anyways, Bring on the Flame :P

I doubt this will ever happen just another idea to go into the sea of others that will soon be forgotten :)
I support this.
I like this idea. The fact that it's like item for like item and cost for cost makes this kind of thing a no-brainer, IMO. Plus the idea that there's no 'alternate gearing' by trading heirlooms for jp/vp/honor/conquest is very well thought out as well.

/signed
here's my thought

350 honor = 200 jp

350 jp = 200 honor

therefore

2150 jp heirloom resale value = 1300jp

that is all
I have no problem with the way heirlooms work now - if I don't feel like farming up an heirloom, then I simply don't (and I have a lot of alts), but I don't see anything wrong with your idea either. I don't see what it would hurt.
here's my thought

350 honor = 200 jp

350 jp = 200 honor

therefore

2150 jp heirloom resale value = 1300jp

that is all

The problem with this is that people would trade in heirlooms for JP gear from vendors. And considering the current Tier set will be available via JP it would def not be a viable option.

I like this idea. The fact that it's like item for like item and cost for cost makes this kind of thing a no-brainer, IMO. Plus the idea that there's no 'alternate gearing' by trading heirlooms for jp/vp/honor/conquest is very well thought out as well.

/signed

06/15/2011 05:25 AMPosted by Steadgnome
I support this.

Thanks!

That being said, I like the idea of an heirloom trade. For my little issue, I'd like a refund of some sorts. Just for argument, make it 50% of the heirloom cost since we did get some mileage from them and that should reflect in the buyback price.

The only problem with a refund is or at least has been stated is that people would use the refund to buy other JP gear besides heirlooms. I can already tell you in my opinion I doubt blizzard would ever go for a refund because then people may start asking to be able to refund their old gear for 50% of the cost as well.

This idea keeps it specifically heirloom oriented, you can only trade for other heirlooms. I suppose at some point when all your slots are full and every character is level'd they would become useless, but so does all the gear you replace leveling up that are no heirlooms and gear you replace through 85.

Again I just want to remove the boring grind, it'd be nice to grind like you do for Rep one time, reach the 17000 w/e JP you'd need for all the heirlooms pieces and be done with it.
Liked and supported.
Why stop at heirlooms? Why not be able to trade in your tier pieces for other tier pieces?

Say I have a level 85 mage as my main and get my entire tier set- but then decide that I want to tank.
..I just want to remove the boring grind, it'd be nice to grind like you do for Rep one time, reach the 17000 w/e JP you'd need for all the tier pieces and be done with it.
Whamm-o, I could just go trade in the entire mage set for the warrior set right?
No.

The end game is about doing X over and over again to get piece Y.
If they start removing the "over and over" part, you run out of things to do end game.
Heirloom items are a nice addition- not a necessity. They work fine as they are.

There is no reason to implement your suggestion.
06/15/2011 06:03 AMPosted by Koonagar
Liked and supported.

Thanks !

That being said, I like the idea of an heirloom trade. For my little issue, I'd like a refund of some sorts. Just for argument, make it 50% of the heirloom cost since we did get some mileage from them and that should reflect in the buyback price.

The only problem with a refund is or at least has been stated is that people would use the refund to buy other JP gear besides heirlooms. I can already tell you in my opinion I doubt blizzard would ever go for a refund because then people may start asking to be able to refund their old gear for 50% of the cost as well.

This idea keeps it specifically heirloom oriented, you can only trade for other heirlooms. I suppose at some point when all your slots are full and every character is level'd they would become useless, but so does all the gear you replace leveling up that are no heirlooms and gear you replace through 85.

Again I just want to remove the boring grind, it'd be nice to grind like you do for Rep one time, reach the 17000 w/e JP you'd need for all the heirlooms pieces and be done with it.

As as been stated, this wouldn't be possible. It would be heirloom peice for heirloom peice. You wouldn't be able to refund heirloom peices for JP/VP/honor nor would you be able to be able to refund an heirloom peice for another peice of JP/VP/honor peice. Heirloom for heirloom. Chest for chest.
Why stop at heirlooms? Why not be able to trade in your tier pieces for other tier pieces?
Whamm-o, I could just go trade in the entire mage set for the warrior set right?
No.

If they start removing the "over and over" part, you run out of things to do end game.
Heirloom items are a nice addition- not a necessity. They work fine as they are.

I can almost guarantee more people would level more alts were they to not have to grind the JP costs for stuff they don't already have.

I'd be fine with just being able to purchase the Heirloom pieces for gold in the same fashion you can the Guild-perks Heirloom pieces.
I like this. I still don't understand the cost of heirlooms. anywhere from 2175 to well over 3.5k JP. That is quite a few dungeons just for some gear to throw onto an alt. Chances are the reason I'm leveling the alt is because I'm tired of the current dungeons, so why should I have to grind a ton of dungeons just for a few pieces? I think they should cost a lot less. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a 4k cap, because then I could just hoard Justice until I decided which class I wanted to level next.
I support this idea. Even though I've gotten most of my heirlooms, I know it sucks having to grind for more and it sucks mailing BoA items between two characters that share armor proficiencies. At least I'd be able to trade in all the BoA chests I have for cloth ones so I don't have to do that boring mailing thing. I support this and don't see how it would hurt. If anything, it would improve the alt leveling process.
See I support this idea. Because there's no sell price on the heirlooms. This shouldn't seem like a big deal, but it is. The other items you purchase from that vendor are sell able for some price, for what reason you cannot sell heirlooms is beyond me.

Say I have a level 85 mage as my main and get my entire tier set- but then decide that I want to tank.
..I just want to remove the boring grind, it'd be nice to grind like you do for Rep one time, reach the 17000 w/e JP you'd need for all the tier pieces and be done with it.
No.

Actually, I fully support the system you just mentioned. I hope your mage thoroughly enjoys their unuseable, BoP set of plate armor.
I like the idea. Maybe add a small extra cost, for an example make it so you also have to pay more 300 JPs/gold to trade one BoA chest for another one or something like that.