Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

Druid
Prev 1 17 18 19 51 Next
I think in a perfect scenario Engi would be, but I just don't think it's 100% reliable. I'm in a 10 man, and I've popped my hands right into an eclipse and had to stop to Brez someone. Farm bosses, Engi is amazing. Progression, it's sketchy imo. 4.3 professions scare me. I'm hoping JC isn't what they are saying it is.
11/02/2011 07:42 PMPosted by Khalador
I'm in a 10 man, and I've popped my hands right into an eclipse and had to stop to Brez someone
Do you use macros on WM Detonate and IS to activate springs? At the very least that ensures that the spell is only used on eclipse and that it is up for DoT refreshes/AoE
I have it macro'd to IS. I mean, I truly understand if you get a perfect fight, and you use it at all the appropriate times that it's the best. I agree 100% with that. But everytime you pop them, you have to have 10 seconds of uninterupted casting to get the full benefit of them. Refreshing dots and getting a round of WM off with them isn't eating up the full benefit of the gloves. There's still 7 seconds of hard casting you have to do for them to outweigh the other professions. It's all opinion and truthfully (imo) if you have 2 crafting professions with the appropriate benefits applied, then you're covered.

My only other gripe with them is for off specing. I offspec tank and heals and I don't love them for those specs.
Actually movement and progression will tend to favor engineering over other professions. As long as you can time Engineering for portions of the fight where you aren't moving then it will gain an advantage of a passive, constant bonus. Say I spend 20% of the fight moving and not casting, that means my passive 80 int becomes 80 * .8 = 64 intellect (not really because of dots and shrooms, but let's use it as a generalization here).

On the other hand, as long as I can pick and choose my Eng on-use moments to coincide with periods of (relatively) low movement, the impact will by definition be lower then that 20%. Add this with well-timed Eclipse buffs and you can see some real gains.

Like anything else, the fact that the bonus is under your control means you can use it suboptimally. It demands a higher level of attention to get the best use.

Let me put it this way - I'm a huge fan of consistent dps for progression. That's why I'm not using DMC:V - I think my current setup is more consistent, even if a DMC:V setup could potentially RNG me to higher parses. I've loved Engineering since I switched to it and I've yet to really encounter a fight where I felt it was hurting me, I find the ability to line up that 480 intellect with my eclipse has always been useful.

Two final points:
Intellect stacks with itself because it provides crit. So even if you used it on-CD and the fight was an exact minute multiplier, the on-use would average to more then 80 intellect.
Nitro boost is truly clutch and can be a large dps increase in a ton of fights (think Staghelm where you can dodge a cat leap). I find the failure rate low enough that it doesn't impact me - I just try to choose situations to use it where taking damage won't kill me, or I'd be dead anyway if I didn't have them.
Nitro boost is truly clutch and can be a large dps increase in a ton of fights (think Staghelm where you can dodge a cat leap). I find the failure rate low enough that it doesn't impact me - I just try to choose situations to use it where taking damage won't kill me, or I'd be dead anyway if I didn't have them.
I can't count the number of times I've used rocket boots to rush to a far spawning add on H rag, or how many times I've had to use them to get back to the hammer for a timely knockback. Rocket boots really are fantastic.
On the other hand, as long as I can pick and choose my Eng on-use moments to coincide with periods of (relatively) low movement, the impact will by definition be lower then that 20%. Add this with well-timed Eclipse buffs and you can see some real gains.

Like anything else, the fact that the bonus is under your control means you can use it suboptimally. It demands a higher level of attention to get the best use.

That's basically what I've been saying, but I think you said it better. I love engi, and I won't be dropping it anytime soon.

Rockets boosts have failed me more than they have saved me tbh.
11/05/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Valeor
For HM Alysrazor, I was told that once my Starfire reaches sub 1 sec casting time, to get to solar and only refresh dots, don't cast any Wraths, or Starsurge. Would this pull max dps I could do on the fight? I know with haste dots are even bigger part of dps for us, but it just seems like it wouldn't do much and it seems casting my spells would be better dps.

No, you want to follow a normal rotation. At 25 stacks, you will only be refreshing your dots once per eclipse, and may be possibly clipping them.

And eclipsed wrath still does more damage than an uneclipsed SF, according to wrathcalcs, so just spamming SF is going to hurt you.

As for it seeming like dots wouldn't do much, I'm not sure what you're basing that off of, but it's wrong. On our last alysrazor kill, the combined damage of my dots was 45% of my overall damage (and tbh it probably should have been higher than that). Seems like a pretty bad idea to cut out 45% of your damage.
How would this spec be in Raiding? http://wowtal.com/#k=vfofw9sV.b0w.druid.qpDPz6
I grabbed the 3/3 Furor for the 10% Intellect gain which means more mana and spell power
You are misreading that talent. It's mana not int.

And you have LS which is terrible in a raiding environment.
How would this spec be in Raiding? http://wowtal.com/#k=vfofw9sV.b0w.druid.qpDPz6
I grabbed the 3/3 Furor for the 10% Intellect gain which means more mana and spell power

All the leftover talents are all situational imo. I go with Gale winds/Fungal growth for my fillers since they are a minor help when I need to typhoon and slow adds. Like the guide says, Lunar shower is highly subjective to your playstyle. It can be possible to make it work to your advantage for minor dps, however it will add another aspect/complexity to your rotations and setup. I tried it out and found that it hurts me more often then helps. I like sitting in Solar =)
Mana wise Dreamstate > Furor > Moonglow. Get as much as you need till you dont go oom. I have to use both Dreamstate+Furor since i sit in solar a lot and that requires high mana usage.

Overall i'd say just drop LS, grab anything else. Gale winds/solar beam/fungal growth are decent for add management or even Perseverance for helping your healers.
I have to say: The macro you provided for mushrooms is great! I added the '!' to my Force of Nature Macro, which is as follows:

#showtooltip
/cast !Force of Nature
/cast petattack

If you start a fight by summoning the treants, simply pressed the button again and they'll start attacking your target before you cast your next spell.
I have to say: The macro you provided for mushrooms is great! I added the '!' to my Force of Nature Macro, which is as follows:

#showtooltip
/cast !Force of Nature
/cast petattack

If you start a fight by summoning the treants, simply pressed the button again and they'll start attacking your target before you cast your next spell.

Interesting. Although it's probably better to just wait a few seconds. On fights where I'm using them at the very beginning, I usually cast it on the tail end of my first nuke, so that I can position the reticule during the cast, and then click as soon as the cast is over. This is to maximize their DPS time relative to heroism and any SP procs I get.
I need help with dps Im using 300 int flask 90 int food
from 0 Rotation is insect swarm moonfire hard casting star surge then spamming starfire making sure to keep my dots up and using starsurge ever times its up then when eclipse procs spamming starfire and using starsurge every time it procs and during solar im spamming wraft with my dots up my dps goes from 16k all the way down to 10k something is wrong and I would love some help. Its not just some fights its all fights i know something is wrong with my rotation. im using force of nature every time its up.
Raid comp
warrior tank
pally tank
druid healer
priest healer holy
holy pally
frost dk
rogue
hunter suv/mm
mage frost no idea why he is frost
balance druid
Raid comp
warrior tank
pally tank
druid healer
priest healer holy
holy pally
frost dk
rogue
hunter suv/mm
mage frost no idea why he is frost
balance druid

Well, as long as your hunter is BM, the only thing you're really missing that's relevant to casters is +5% spell crit. If he's MM you're also missing +3% damage (which you could also get if your mage went arcane...).

11/10/2011 01:41 PMPosted by Worgntreeman
my dps goes from 16k all the way down to 10k something is wrong and I would love some help. Its not just some fights its all fights i know something is wrong with my rotation. im using force of nature every time its up.

Something is definitely wrong. Wratchcals has your single target DPS at 24k. In practice, it would probably be closer to 22-23 if you were doing things right. On a fight like reg shannox, it would be way higher than that.

from 0 Rotation is insect swarm moonfire hard casting star surge then spamming starfire making sure to keep my dots up and using starsurge ever times its up then when eclipse procs spamming starfire and using starsurge every time it procs and during solar im spamming wraft with my dots up

Well, it sounds more or less right, but the magic is in the details. Things like knowing when to reapply dots, reducing movement, making sure that you're chain casting, things like that. If you have some logs it would be a lot more helpful.

The one thing I can suggest now is try to get some practice at the target dummies. Wrathcalcs says you should be doing 20k on a dummy, so maybe shoot for hitting around 18k or so (this is buffed just with MotW). Play around with your rotation and dot refresh timing to see what works best for you.

Also, if you don't have it yet, balance power tracker is a really good addon and I highly recommend it.

...might as well continue this in the thread you made. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3565948088?page=1#4
For flying, definitely wrath. On the ground... not sure. SS might be better since there are often multiple targets to hit.
What kind of dps should a balanced druid be achieving..as of now my MS - Kitty just seems to hold higher dps than the boomkin.

I really enjoy the boomkin spec more than anything so far, and I'd love to stick with it, but I do get complaints about dps from time to time..what do you think?
What kind of dps should a balanced druid be achieving..as of now my MS - Kitty just seems to hold higher dps than the boomkin.

I really enjoy the boomkin spec more than anything so far, and I'd love to stick with it, but I do get complaints about dps from time to time..what do you think?

Well, you're missing a lot of enchants and have 2 cloth pieces. I'm assuming you're just doing heroics, since you have no raid progress showing on your armory, so you could stand to lose more hit in exchange for haste or mastery.

But given the state of your gear, I wouldn't expect very much DPS from you. Now, a druid of your ilvl that was properly geared, enchanted, reforged, etc, would probably be doing 14-18k in heroics, depending on the fight.

Oh, your spec is also kind of bad.

Check out the 5 man heroics section of the guide here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372177#13