Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

Druid
Post Limit:
Prev 1 21 22 23 51 Next
12/07/2011 12:57 PMPosted by Eluial
What did bottled wishes replace? You probably would have done better to replace your belt, first, as the VP belt is amazing.

It replaced the volcano. I will be getting the boots tonight and that will put me over haste cap im pretty sure which is 3001. I do get di in my raid so is that what i want to be going for is 3001?
would love to get your real id and chat with u Eluial if you have a chance. My real id is abielowicz@carthage.edu
I do think the hierarchy is accurate. And people coming on here asking a wildly generic question probably aren't using wrathcalcs. I think his BiS is spot on except for cunning, but that's kind of a no brainer. "The Valor Point Trinkets are ok, if you don't have any other options but honestly, they shouldn't be a concern."-Graylo

I believe people will see that trinket and get iLevel happy and they shouldn't.

I guess it does depend on what he had before. But I think the belt would have been a better choice as well.
12/07/2011 01:13 PMPosted by Warlasher
What did bottled wishes replace? You probably would have done better to replace your belt, first, as the VP belt is amazing.

It replaced the volcano. I will be getting the boots tonight and that will put me over haste cap im pretty sure which is 3001. I do get di in my raid so is that what i want to be going for is 3001?

If you still can, I'd highly recommend trading it back to the vendor and grabbing the belt.

If you get DI, there isn't another breakpoint you'll be reaching statically this tier. You'll get more ticks with an insignia of the corrupted mind proc, but the 3101 breakpoint is for no DI.

12/07/2011 01:19 PMPosted by Warlasher
would love to get your real id and chat with u Eluial if you have a chance. My real id is abielowicz@carthage.edu

:) I don't give out my real ID info to people that I don't actually know all that well. If you'd like to speak with me privately you're welcome to send me a PM on either themoonkinrepository.com or theincbear.com/forums. Or you can make a character on Korgath alliance and send me a whisper. I'll be on tonight starting at around 5:30 PST or so until 8:30 or 9.
But you do lose the chance to double-respec to reset your eclipse bar if you run dual moonkin specs

!@#$ you can do that?! And until now I've always been taking off all my gear and jumping in lava to reset it >.<

Just an update on this - apparently it still works even if your second spec is balance.

As for lunar showers, well I tried it out tonight on a couple fights. It was only mildly useful on Hagara, and I actually didn't get the chance to use it to its full potential due to personal stupidity on the first ice phase and bad position on the second (the adds in the direction I was running in were already dead by the time I got to them).

It was also really annoying for trash, and I ended up switching to my normal spec for trash, and then back to LS spec for the bosses I wanted it on.

My conclusions are, it's definitely not going to hurt you the way it would have in FL (except for maybe on madness) but I didn't find it particularly useful, either. At least, on regular, that is.
I tried glyph of starsurge over wrath on LFR Ultraxion this morning. I opened IS, MF wrath to Lunar Eclipse and saved my first starsurge until after I popped starfall. Starfall was up for every single Lunar Eclipse. It was awesome. I recommend trying it out at least in LFR and see what you can get out of it.
12/07/2011 09:41 PMPosted by Eluial
My conclusions are, it's definitely not going to hurt you the way it would have in FL (except for maybe on madness) but I didn't find it particularly useful, either. At least, on regular, that is.

I can see it not helping much on meters, but we had a 500,000 hp wipe on Heroic Morchok Tuesday and eeking out any extra damage would have been nice so I might still try it for that situation. The double dotting was ok, but the crystals typically spawned in spots where you couldn't always refresh on a target. And hard casting wasn't happening much for me.
I do think the hierarchy is accurate. And people coming on here asking a wildly generic question probably aren't using wrathcalcs. I think his BiS is spot on except for cunning, but that's kind of a no brainer. "The Valor Point Trinkets are ok, if you don't have any other options but honestly, they shouldn't be a concern."-Graylo

I believe people will see that trinket and get iLevel happy and they shouldn't.

I guess it does depend on what he had before. But I think the belt would have been a better choice as well.

I played around with it in Wrathcalcs. It shows Bottled Wishes being a DPS gain over DMC:V (reforged to haste) for me, but only by 30 dps. The belt however is a 470 dps gain over Firescar Sash after reforging to tune the hit cap. I can't think of any realistic gear setup where Bottled Wishes is a bigger upgrade over replacing Firescar Sash with the VP belt.

As for lunar showers, well I tried it out tonight on a couple fights. It was only mildly useful on Hagara, and I actually didn't get the chance to use it to its full potential due to personal stupidity on the first ice phase and bad position on the second (the adds in the direction I was running in were already dead by the time I got to them).

It was okay for Hagara at best, I think. On heroic I think it would depend on how harmful it is to prolong the phase just a little bit (It means more Frostflake patches around the edge of the room) if you're not using LS. On 25 I don't know if you would even notice the difference.

On Yor'sahj it could do two things - let you dps the mana void forever because your in combat regen is enough to sustain Moonfare spam infinitely (Bonus points if you get a Euphoria proc doing this) and let you put your innervate on a healer for the phase. It isn't much, but would let them cast necessary spells sooner seeing as even raid cds cost mana. I think the actual benefit of this is questionable too, since you can "save" mana voids.
On Yor'sahj it could do two things - let you dps the mana void forever because your in combat regen is enough to sustain Moonfare spam infinitely (Bonus points if you get a Euphoria proc doing this) and let you put your innervate on a healer for the phase. It isn't much, but would let them cast necessary spells sooner seeing as even raid cds cost mana. I think the actual benefit of this is questionable too, since you can "save" mana voids.

That's actually a really good point with the mana voids that I hadn't considered. I don't really have much trouble with them anyway. I just park myself 1 cast away from eclipse and get a euphoria proc as soon as the void is down, but it's still a good idea if the timing isn't right.

12/08/2011 06:29 AMPosted by Khalador
I tried glyph of starsurge over wrath on LFR Ultraxion this morning. I opened IS, MF wrath to Lunar Eclipse and saved my first starsurge until after I popped starfall. Starfall was up for every single Lunar Eclipse. It was awesome. I recommend trying it out at least in LFR and see what you can get out of it.

Interesting. Looking at my logs for last night, 10% of my wrath damage is 328,975. I was able to hit every other lunar with starfall, and I had 6 lunars, so theoretically, hitting every lunar would double my starfall damage, which was 386,845.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ukoys43z65h5yvkm/sum/damageDone/?s=4500&e=4813

Although, like we were discussing earlier, I think the shorter the fight, the less the impact it will have.

On a totally unrelated note, I only did 600 less effective DPS than the top ranked 10m reg moonkin for that fight and I'm not showing up in the rankings. wtf.
/epeen off
12/08/2011 01:12 PMPosted by Eluial
Interesting. Looking at my logs for last night, 10% of my wrath damage is 328,975. I was able to hit every other lunar with starfall, and I had 6 lunars, so theoretically, hitting every lunar would double my starfall damage, which was 386,845

Actually you did 299,069 with glyph of wrath. You multiplied your total wrath damage by 10% and used that #. What you want to do is back it out. So 3,289,757 divided by 1.1 (10%) = 2,990,688.

3,289,757 - 2,990,688= 299,069. And to check it back: 2,990,688 * 1.1 = 3,289,757 (rounded).

But you are correct, in 3 weeks this will be knocked down to a 3:30 fight probably.

And nice deeps.
12/08/2011 01:22 PMPosted by Khalador
Interesting. Looking at my logs for last night, 10% of my wrath damage is 328,975. I was able to hit every other lunar with starfall, and I had 6 lunars, so theoretically, hitting every lunar would double my starfall damage, which was 386,845

Actually you did 299,069 with glyph of wrath. You multiplied your total wrath damage by 10% and used that #. What you want to do is back it out. So 3,289,757 divided by 1.1 (10%) = 2,990,688.

3,289,757 - 2,990,688= 299,069. And to check it back: 2,990,688 * 1.1 = 3,289,757 (rounded).

But you are correct, in 3 weeks this will be knocked down to a 3:30 fight probably.

And nice deeps.

Lulz. Math is hard, let's go shopping.

I totally knew that.
12/08/2011 01:12 PMPosted by Eluial
Interesting. Looking at my logs for last night, 10% of my wrath damage is 328,975. I was able to hit every other lunar with starfall, and I had 6 lunars, so theoretically, hitting every lunar would double my starfall damage, which was 386,845.

One other note - using twice as many starfalls is going to take twice the GCDs. I generally cost that as an un-eclipsed wrath, although YMMV on what you want to say a GCD "loses" you in dps.

And one final thought - double your starfall number and that's the dps gain you'd see from 4t13 on a multi-target fight where Starfall hits multiple targets. In that situation you'd get another 7% damage from the set bonus.
And one final thought - double your starfall number and that's the dps gain you'd see from 4t13 on a multi-target fight where Starfall hits multiple targets. In that situation you'd get another 7% damage from the set bonus.

Doesn't 4t13 just lower starsurge's CD, which makes it even more useless in a multi-target scenario, since you get so many more shooting stars procs from all those dots up? So how does it give you a 7% damage increase on multi targets? If I'm missing a gimmick please enlighten me.

edit: Because I've been thinking that this puny 4 piece bonus was going to be spectacularly useless in aoe/multi target scenarios, but now there's a theorycrafter dude saying it's actually an incredible 7% dps increase O.O
@Smo, I was just curious about something completely off topic. In your armory you are obviously very well progressed. But it shows 49 Yogg-Saron kills and 0 Hodir? Is that a bug, or did you literally sit out for every Hodir kill.

Edit: it is obviously a bug since you have your glory achieve from Uld, but what an odd bug.
Doesn't 4t13 just lower starsurge's CD, which makes it even more useless in a multi-target scenario, since you get so many more shooting stars procs from all those dots up? So how does it give you a 7% damage increase on multi targets? If I'm missing a gimmick please enlighten me.

edit: Because I've been thinking that this puny 4 piece bonus was going to be spectacularly useless in aoe/multi target scenarios, but now there's a theorycrafter dude saying it's actually an incredible 7% dps increase O.O

What he meant by double your starfall damage on a multi-target fight is that 1 cast of starfall=10 stars on single target, 20 on mult-target.

Also, Smo said "multi-target fight", and I think you're confusing that with "add phase" fights. Multi-target like Elementium Montrosity, V&T, Omnotrone defense, H Morchok, Blackhorn, Madness (in a way, when the stalk is out with the talon). Fights where you're going to hit more than one target for a large majority of the fight. Obviously, if there's an add phase of a fight, you'll mushroom/dot like normal.
12/09/2011 07:40 AMPosted by Velaniz

Consider 4t13 + Glyph of Starsurge on multi-target fights. If "multi-target" is too broad of a term, maybe multidot makes more sense.

@Smo, I was just curious about something completely off topic. In your armory you are obviously very well progressed. But it shows 49 Yogg-Saron kills and 0 Hodir? Is that a bug, or did you literally sit out for every Hodir kill.

It probably doesn't list it as a "kill", since the keepers didn't die. You just got them low and then they went friendly.

Edit: One other note, to avoid confusion. 7% is a quick napkin number, and it's very theoretical - I'm not aware of any fights where you can hit two targets with Starfall the entire fight (barring Morchok, but even then most strategies require splitting the raid too much). I just think it's worth noting that 4t13 will perform substantially better on multidot fights then on single target. 4-5% would be a reasonable estimate for something like Warmaster or Madness. It would probably give you the full benefit on spine, but that assumes add dps is useful...
Wrote a quick-start guide for moonkins, for Foofy's poor resto druids that get lost when trying to do the deeps:
http://swiftrejuvenation.forumotion.com/t66-occupy-moonkin-43

Any feedback (places to clarify, wording, etc) is appreciated.
So now there is a moonkin guide on foofy's resto site but not one on TMR? Blasphemy!

Everything looks great on there for a starter guide, though you might want to steal some images from Calc's old guide to help clear up eclipse phases(nothing wrong with your description, just pictures convey messages 1000x better). Also, I'd suggest recommending quartz as a cast bar addon because of it's latency and the ability to track your buffs/DoTs.
Wrote a quick-start guide for moonkins, for Foofy's poor resto druids that get lost when trying to do the deeps:
http://swiftrejuvenation.forumotion.com/t66-occupy-moonkin-43

Any feedback (places to clarify, wording, etc) is appreciated.

Seems pretty straightforward. The only suggestions I have at the moment would be aesthetic or for easier browsing (like, include pictures, use mouseover links, etc).

Oh, actually. I would recommend wowreforge.com in your reforge section, in case they don't want to download an addon.

edit: /blush

edit2: it looks like something is funny on the forums and any of the links you have surrounded by parentheses aren't actually showing up as links.

12/09/2011 07:06 PMPosted by Tagartou
So now there is a moonkin guide on foofy's resto site but not one on TMR? Blasphemy!

Well, all of TMR is a guide!
So i'm actually having troubles with my DPS, yesterday my guild did ultraxion and with everybody doing 25-28k while i myself was stuck at doing around ~21k. Is this normal?

I've been following the rotation, starting with IS+Shroom detonate, MF, wrath -> SS, wrath -> lunar -> SS -> SF -> solar, while constantly refreshing my DoTs at 2 seconds.

Am i doing anything wrong here? Or is it just my gear being too lousy?